PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Warriors, Parry Save, Mark of Tzeentch and Eye of the Gods Blessing

Mazelf
09-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Ok so this situation came up on a game yesterday and I wanted to get opinions as to what was the correct ruling...

A unit of Chaos Warriors with Mark of Tzeentch (6++) got the blessing from the eye of the gods which gives a 4++ to the entire unit (I think you get it on a roll of 12 I think its called Divine Greatness), now obviously since they have the Mark of Tzeentch their ward save went down to 3++, the issue came up at this point:

Since the unit was in close combat and had hand weapons and shields equipped the chaos player argued that their ward save went down to 2++ (Divine Greatness + Mark of Tzeentch + Parry Save), however, his counterpart argued that the parry save is NOT cumulative with the ward save since it is a situational save only (canīt get it if attacked from the side/behind, only in CC, etc.) and it does not stack with a regular ward save.

I tend to agree that Parry should not stack with other ward saves but we werent able to get a definite ruling since the rulebook DOES define the parry save as a 6+ ward save, so what do you guys think? has this situation come up at any of your games? imho 2++ in CC for any unit is just waaaay to much to handle for ANY player...

thanks for your help and comments!

Lord Castellan
09-06-2011, 11:51 AM
No you wouldnt. A Parry save is for IF you dont have any other sort of save available. Its only classified as a Ward Save because you get it if you fail your armor, but it is replaced by a Ward save if you have one.

addamsfamily36
09-06-2011, 12:17 PM
What does the mark of Tzeentch say as well?

Surely you have to have a ward save first to gain a +1 to your ward save. If it gives you a straight up 6+ ward save then i don't see how it comes cumulative either.

Especially considering that the "divine greatness" is an effect you gain later on.

just curious

Mazelf
09-06-2011, 12:20 PM
What does the mark of Tzeentch say as well?

Surely you have to have a ward save first to gain a +1 to your ward save. If it gives you a straight up 6+ ward save then i don't see how it comes cumulative either.

Especially considering that the "divine greatness" is an effect you gain later on.

just curious

Well actually Mark of Tzeentch improves wardsaves by 1, so if you dont have one you get a 6++ but if you do, say have a 5++ from X item and you get the mark then it goes to a 4++

@Lord Castellan, that is what I thought too, do you know where it says a ward save replaces it?

thanks!

Wildeybeast
09-06-2011, 12:45 PM
No you wouldnt. A Parry save is for IF you dont have any other sort of save available. Its only classified as a Ward Save because you get it if you fail your armor, but it is replaced by a Ward save if you have one.

Actuallly, the rule book is quite clear that a parry save is a ward save, however, the mistake here is that ward saves do not stack. Certain things such as magic resistance and mark of Tzeentch can improve them but they don't stack. P44 states that if you have more than ward save, you use the best. So in this case the unit has a 4++ granted by the eye of the gods roll and a seperate one from the parry save. So you simply take the the 4++, modified by tzeentch (stupid tzeentch) to 3++. The parry save is not cumulative, nor can you take it in addition to the ward save as it is a ward save. It's the same as if you have a 5++ from a magic item and a shield and sword, you simply take the 5++.

black_numenorean
03-21-2012, 10:07 PM
i agree with wildeybeast. It makes sense and I have encountered this and went down the same logic path.

T-ORK-amada
03-21-2012, 10:32 PM
You would pick the best of the two ward saves. Which would be the 3++.