PDA

View Full Version : New Adventurer

Dont-Be-Haten
09-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Hello all, I guess I don't have much to say here other than I am new to table top playing an I am getting into War Hammer Fantasy Battle. I tried posting a thread in the fantasy tactics but it didn't send, so I posted it again only to read a super fast notice that says it has to be passed by a moderator, Am I going to have to wait until said mod gets on and looks over my post before I can get any advice? That seems a little irratating. Oh well New to the forum, and to table top Hope to get some advice soon and good gaming! GG
-DBH

Emerald Rose Widow
09-02-2011, 11:25 AM
it happened to me for like the first 10 posts than it went to normal posting, nothing to worry about. Welcome to the hobby and the board though, and I hope you come to enjoy warhammer as much as i have.

Dont-Be-Haten
09-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Hey Emmy! Thanks for the reply! So I totally posted the same epic thread like 4 times, before I realized that I could get in trouble for it. So do I just need to post like 10 more threads before I can just go straight into my cravings for knowledge on Fantasy Battle? I realize that state-side Fantasy is on the lower end of popularity, and 40k is all the rage. I just love the aspect of fantasy, robots and plasma grenades of 40k (no offense to 40k vets or the like) just doesn't seem appealing to me.

I really have researched it before hand and I'm stoked about starting up my first army; I've painted a few fantasy models and totally ready to deal out and take the punishment of seasoned armies :)

-DBH

doom-kitten
09-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Hey hope you enjoy the game and what army you playing? Or have you not chosen yet?

Dont-Be-Haten
09-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Hey Doom-Kitten! Actually yes I have decided on an army. I'm going to play the ancient and majestic race of High Elves (scrubby I know). I just really love their back story (along side the lizardmen story line which I have a base 750 point 4th edition army and the skaven look fun but I feel I will act like the crazed general that just throws cheap units away as I force them into the thick of things with meat shields as I lose countless soldiers for the rat god xD). I know that the High Elves are middle of the road in terms of competitive play (tier 2) but their models just scream out to me. Especially that really cool Griffon Prince which research shows gets eaten alive by mortars and cannon fire because of it being so delicious with a +1 to hit on seige weapons ( I personally respect that, but feel that unless I'm going to face Dwarves or Karl Franz's amassed footies or a heavy range aggro army I'll still have fun playing it only not as my general).

Although the core is super vanilla and pricey, the special units all look wonderful and I'm especially excited about the scrubmaster of hoeth, which a lot of people think have a garbage ruling. However, even with re-rolls on higher initiatives the army is a solid "glass cannon" and I really don't see how they are as broke as people might suggest, saves on 5s and 6s for a heavy points 7 x 2 line that gets om-nomed by magic and ranged fire just looks worth the risk with the possibility of full block clears, though you just gotta field them intelligently and not go rawr I march them into the thicket of death! xD

I love both the Tiranoc and White Lion chariots. I think their craft work look simply drool worthy, along with the Chrace unit, the Dragon Princes, and Phoenix Gaurd the Silver Helms and Ellyarian Reavers. I think I have a decently size 1750 ish army to start out with that is a little more "fluffy" (is that the right term?) that all though will still be outnumbered just not nearly as bad.

Oh and who can forget their mages? :D Thanks for the reply!
-DBH

doom-kitten
09-03-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm not gonna lie I had a fleeting interest in High Elves, cavalry and chariots plus the dragons but Lizardmen slapped that insanity out of me pretty quick I don't care that Slann-mage priest rock but Old-Bloods are just to awesome I always include one in my army. That guy has pummeled everything I've pointed him at except that one time my Slann cast that Xerxes spell and it's miscast, Slann survived some poor elf mage suffered the miscast for me, and it went nuts and floated over my Old-Blood and my opponents partner's Dwarf Lord, both died.
I played High Elves once with my Lizards and actually managed to deny that annoying Teclis most of his castings the battle was a draw, his warriors except the Swordsmasters got ripped apart by Saurus, we had a nice duel of Griffin vs Stegadon which remarkably the birdy won. The most exciting part was when I cast Comet of Cassadora and placed the marker right beside Teclis's unit of Pheonix gaurd about 8 inches from my Temple Guard and Slann, the comet came down and I rolled 11 for the radius. His Bolt Throwers died, his archers died, about 4 Pheonix Guard died and the Griffin. None of my Temple Guard died but my salamanders did which sucked but it was funny after we tallied the death toll XD more died but I don't recall the exact amount.

Dont-Be-Haten
09-03-2011, 03:52 AM
Yeah the old bloated toad is really cool. And I think the old blood on Carnasaur is really awesome, on top of the other old blood mounted and un-mounted. I find it hilarious that salamanders eat skinks (or they used to) The natural armor that Lizardmen have is quite awesome. That game sounds like it was a blast to play. If I read the rules correctly the new wound system on war machines goes by their crew; I just can't find anyone that can tell me if the Bolt Thrower is worth the pricey 100 points for a 2 wound siege weapon ( I guess it is balanced out this way since the Bolt Thrower can never miss fire). But thanks again for the reply Doomie, and sharing your wealth of fun fantasy battles, It makes me just more super excited and eager to get into the thick of battle!

-DBH

doom-kitten
09-06-2011, 11:45 AM
The bolt throwers, hum I think their worth it, those ones are the repeater ones right? Yeah, I've got all the Saurus hero models except the new finecast one, but my favourite one is the one on foot. Taking him on a carnosaur get him shot to pieces and a on a cold one he's always on the flank instead of at the army center like he should be. The salamanders rock, anything that breathes fire is awesome and yeah they still eat the skinks on a miss fire I've had the entire unit do this once and they ate all the skinks then failed their monster reaction test it was funny. I hope you find the High Elves fun to play and you have good games win or lose.

david5th
09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Hello and welcome Dont-Be-Haten.

Dont-Be-Haten
09-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah I just saw where they've recently released the new Saurus Old Blood fine-cast. It looks really sharp, the armor is stellar, and so what if they Monster riders get shot to pieces, they still look super awesome and scarey to the enemy xD I mean seriously that thing is so epic looking!

To answer your question Doomie, yes the repeater bolt thrower can fire into units with armor piercing and stacks through ranks going +1 on each roll to hit after the intial impact. In the back of the Rule book it says that it has 3 wounds, but I believe that the erratta makes it only have 2 if you go by the crew.

That's actually really hilarious that the salamander misfired and ate all your skinks, spot of bad luck, but if you find hilarity in it, that's great, that's what this game (to mee) is all about!

And to David5 thanks so much, very much appreciative of the welcome!
-DBH