PDA

View Full Version : Noob ret player seeks list and tactical advice

thecactusman17
08-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I am a very inexperienced wm player with a decent sized ret force (in the 75 point range before caster or theme discounts). I am having a difficult time adjusting to the rules and creating a solid list. Advice on a list and how to play it would be helpful. I dont want to buy any new models right now (but expansion advice is appreciated).

Kaelyssa
Vyros
Ravyn

Inictors & leader ua
MH strike force & leader ua
Heavy rifle team

MH assassin x2
Narn
Ghost sniper x2
Arcanist x2
DG sciyr x2
HS Magister

Gryphon
Gorgon x2

Multi-use Heavy jack x2

Silver Drakes Legion
08-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Ravyn
Manticore
Griffon
Arcanist
Arcanist
10 Invictors + Ua
10 Mage Hunters Strike +UA
Magister

As long as you don't play against a stealthed caster or one with ridiculously high base arm put snipe on the Mage hunters so when you feat you can go for the caster kill. Magister uses whipsnap to position the griffon or manitcore to maximize when the invictors assault for the flank bonus. Arcanist give free focus or +2 to melee damage.

I would suggest P eiryss for warmachine or Epic Eiryss if you play against a lot of hordes
Aiyana and holt and stormfalls would also be very good with this type of list when you go up in points. It's fun to play but stealth really can make things a headache. That's why the invictors are great for the flank bonus because they can multitask.

Also 2 jacks in a list is pretty much the most you will every want because our jacks require quite a bit of focus to be amazing.

thetallest
08-26-2011, 11:39 AM
The above list is pretty solid. I don't tend to use the griffon or the Manticore - I realise that you don't have the kit, but I would be more inclined to go for Discordia. Having access to a 10" Pow 14 spray that will be fully boosted under Ravyn's feat turn is fantastic.

Likewsie, I only tend to run one jack, not two. I realise that this takes a bit away from the invictors, but I found that to be preferable as I tend to try to shoot a heck of a lot with them. The list that I would be inclined to run at 35 points would be:

Ravyn
Discordia
10 Dawnguard Invictors + UA
6 Mage Hunter Strike Force + UA
Stormfall Archers
Lady Aiyana and Master Holt
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution

I realise that this list includes a number of models you do not have, however this would be what I would use at that point value.

To quickly provide an explanation for the changes, Discordia helps a lot with stealth - having a 10" spray helps mitigate stealth. Aiyana and Holt boost all of your shooting - and turning your invictors into POW 14 is fantastic. Stormfall archers hit remakably hard, and tossing out 4 3" blast templates again helps deal with stealthed opponents. Finally, Eiryss, Angel of Retribution helps shutdown jacks and strip away focus from focus campers, and also kills upkeep spells on enemy models.