PDA

View Full Version : Lady Malys

Mazelf
08-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey, I´ve only played a few games with my Deldar army so far and have been doing ok, I usually run just 3 Haemies in there but have starter toying with the idea of fielding one or two named characters. Asdrubael I know is awesome but he´s just too expensive form me. I know everyone plays the baron and the duke (or both) and Ive already started work on a Baron model.

My question is: does anyone actually use Lady Malys? whats your experience with her? is she fun to play? what kind of tactics do you use when playing her?

thanks for your comments!

(huge apology if this is not the correct place for this post)

Dark Severen
08-25-2011, 01:41 PM
My all female Kabal always includes Malys in their army - Immune to psychic powers, redeploy trick and lots of P/W attacks are great... And for a reasonable price too. Whack her with 2 of your Haemies and she has FNP and F/Charge... Okay, it could get expensive if you pimp out your Haemies... For me, I find Malys (like most D.E. HQ) safest when in combat. Just pick your targets well. :)

You have to bear in mind that in combat Malys does start out VERY weak unless backed up by F/Charge - depending on which army you face!... She has a decent number of attacks, but wounding on 5+ can really take the sting out of her. But change that to 4+ on the charge and it changes things. As soon as possible, get Malys Furious Charge! I'd even go so far as to say even vs T3 units... :) The +1 I bonus can be wasted against some units (she has high I already) but it is useful for the Haemonculi. Think of it as 'tit for tat'... Malys gains one bonus, the Haemonculi the other*.

*But then you may be going against the likes of a Rending Pony :-p

This is all assuming you want to use Malys aggresively... You can use Malys just for the redeploy trick, but that's a whole lotta pointage gone to waste once the game has begun... It's always tricky putting stuff like Scissor Hands or Agonisers onto the Haemonculi as it can be counter-intuitive with F/Charge... But it does give your Haemies +1 I, which can be useful getting those first Poison or PW attacks in.

And lest not forget that useful 'immune to psychic powers' trick. But this could make her a massive SHOOT ME FIRST target... But for that reason alone she makes up for her S3 (the immune to psychic I mean, not the SHOOT ME FIRST bit).

Malys is a great asset to your army, if used wisely... I do use her aggressively backed up by 2 Haemies with L/Guns and depending on the pts left and who I'm facing, I may just give my Haemies Scissor Hands or Agonisers (I know, I know... But what the hell).

Have a play with her (ooer) and see how she works for you... But for my fluff (I have an all female, man hating, lesbian Kabal) she's a great leader... and if I go Apoc, I do whack Vect (female, of course) in for good measure! Let's just say this... I don't have 'pain tokens', mine are 'pleasure tokens'... Oh and my Haemonculi aren't twisted lumps of flesh... They're the 'sisters of pleasure eternal'.

But yeah, see how she works for you... I'd like to hear how you get on with her :)

Necron_Lord
08-25-2011, 04:04 PM
I did pretty well when I played her, but I was rolling really well. The redeploy trick is cool, she makes the unit attached to her immune to psychic shenanigans and area effects, and she is decent in CC. She is like an Archon with a Djin blade, except if you roll doubles, it doesn't attack you. Having only a 4+ Inv. Save means she is more vulnerable to floating power fists than an Archon with a shadow field. I was rolling hot when I played her, so she was just carving up Space Puppies like crazy. She isn't too expensive either, so she is worth taking on occasion. The lack of combat drugs and only attacking at S 3 is her downside as well as the aforementioned vulnerability to instant death compared to ICs with shadow fields. Not a shabby SC though viewed as a whole.

DrLove42
08-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Let's just say this... I don't have 'pain tokens', mine are 'pleasure tokens'... Oh and my Haemonculi aren't twisted lumps of flesh... They're the 'sisters of pleasure eternal'.

Sounds a little Slaneeshy....

Mazelf
08-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Hmmm Im still not quite convinced shes a better choice than the baron and/or duke...

I like her points cost tho, and the D3 redeploy is quite nifty!

thanks for your input guys, I guess Ill try her out...

Dark Severen
08-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Sounds a little Slaneeshy....

Well, Eldar have a history of pleasure cults before Slaanesh was born... Eldar were the creators of Slaanesh and with that very obvious link you can argue that connection - which influenced which whilst Slaanesh was waiting to be born? - However, Dark Eldar are not followers of Slaanesh, despite their hedonistic nature...

My ladies gain their tokens by... ahem... 'climaxing' on the deathscreams of their victims... :)

... ... ... ...

Going back on topic, lol... Yes, lots of people go with the Baron and/or Duke and you can see why... But try Malys out - see how she operates under your playstyle... Many have looked at me oddly me for using 'quins too in my Dark Eldar (again, all female) but even without Doom, I still prefer them over the likes of Incubi... Mainly as most of my opponents stay in cover these days!

thecactusman17
08-27-2011, 12:43 AM
No personal experience with Malys, but her primary ability is definitely the redeploy trick. When you get right down to it, she is the same as Eldrad: One obvious main trick (redeploy) plus one obvious secondary trick (immune to psychic abilities, though Eldrad had his whole "I know every ******* power" on top of that).

And you know what else? Like Eldrad, she is a bargain at her points cost.

eldargal
08-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Undercosted like Eldrad, yes, but thankfully not so undercosted that she becomes a 'must have' choice for any DE army. Unlike Eldrad whom you see in pretty much every Eldar list. None of the SCs are really 'must haves', such a good Codex in that regard.

leth
09-01-2011, 06:05 AM
i like to run her with a unit of grots as their ic. Protected from powers as well. redeploy is iffy if u don't go first.