PDA

View Full Version : Prequel/Sequel to Blade Runner

DrLove42
08-19-2011, 05:41 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14586762

Not quite sure what to make of this...

Grailkeeper
08-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Maybe if it's a prequl we'll get to see attack ships on fire, or C-beams glitter in the dark? Altough, I'd heard all those moments had been lost.

Necron2.0
08-19-2011, 01:55 PM
If only we could see what he's seen ....

Necron2.0
08-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Actually, I have some concerns over Mr. Scott's involvement with this. Mainly that is because the film Mr. Scott wanted to make was not the cult classic. Mr. Scott was forced to make several changes to the film that he and Harrison Ford vehemently disagreed with. Of course, they were both almost completely wrong. If the film that went to the theaters and originally released on VHS had been his "director's cut," we wouldn't be talking about Blade Runner today. Just like with Lucas' works, most of Mr. Scott's attempts to "improve" the film were met coolly, if not with overt hostility. The film that reached cult classic status was the original theatrical release. Period. Full stop. End of story.

Of course, Mr. Scott has never exactly hidden his bitterness over this. I'm concerned his ego may not be able to prevent him from punishing the audience for not embracing his "vision."

scadugenga
08-19-2011, 03:33 PM
The original theatrical blade runner is still my favorite.

And I may be in the minority, but I really liked the narration in the movie. Ford's tired sounding voice over added to the impression that Deckard was tired and pretty much washed up.

Grailkeeper
08-20-2011, 05:52 AM
I actually have never been able to watch the film the whole way through, I find it to be too dark , so its really hard to make out whats going on, like looking at a film through a mug of tea. I did see it on a cinema screen and that didn't improve it.

eldargal
08-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Never really liked Bladerunner, seen it a few times find it overrated. Maybe it was groundbreaking in its time or something but it never really struck me as bringing anything special to the genre to warrant cult status. Or maybe I just hate cult niche films as I didn't care for Princess Bride either.:rolleyes:

DarkLink
08-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I liked bladerunner, but it wasn't the sort of movie I'd watch twice.

Lord Azaghul
08-22-2011, 06:27 AM
I actually have never been able to watch the film the whole way through, I find it to be too dark , so its really hard to make out whats going on, like looking at a film through a mug of tea. I did see it on a cinema screen and that didn't improve it.

I"m gonna sound older then I really am when I say this but: they just don't make movies that way anymore.

I've read the book (really wish more had been written in that vein) watch and loved the movie, not sure which one I like better, but I think that they do 'complete' each other well. I think the movie version with less voice-overs was still very intriguing.

My biggest concern is that the feel of the original (film and story) will be completely lost... and will end of with some sort of atrocity starting Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp that where only the title of the film remains true to the author. (I actually did enjoy the 1st and 3rd 'pirates' movies just for the record)

What I do want to see is: the replicant wars, tanhausen's gate, ships on fire...(best line of the film)

Aldramelech
08-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Never liked it, didn't and dont see what all the fuss was about.

Lord Azaghul
08-22-2011, 08:29 AM
The more I think about it I'd rather see Scott get in then Spielberg - who hasn't made a good movie in almost a decade, if not longer.

Necron2.0
08-22-2011, 09:14 AM
The original theatrical blade runner is still my favorite.

And I may be in the minority, but I really liked the narration in the movie. Ford's tired sounding voice over added to the impression that Deckard was tired and pretty much washed up.

You're not in the minority, as far as I can tell. Of those who say they like the film, most I've talked to agree that the unicorn scene that Scott added back in was stupid and the voice over was necessary. The versions without the voice over can be interesting ... IF you've already seen the versions WITH the voice over. Otherwise the movie is something of a confusing mess. About the only thing that everyone agrees with is the theatrical Hollywood fairy tale ending was stupid. The movie should have ended at the elevator, with Gaff's voice echoing "It's too bad she won't live ... but then again, who does?"

++++

For those who say they don't like it, I have a question. What do you think of Film Noir?

Aldramelech
08-22-2011, 11:27 AM
You're not in the minority, as far as I can tell. Of those who say they like the film, most I've talked to agree that the unicorn scene that Scott added back in was stupid and the voice over was necessary. The versions without the voice over can be interesting ... IF you've already seen the versions WITH the voice over. Otherwise the movie is something of a confusing mess. About the only thing that everyone agrees with is the theatrical Hollywood fairy tale ending was stupid. The movie should have ended at the elevator, with Gaff's voice echoing "It's too bad she won't live ... but then again, who does?"

++++

For those who say they don't like it, I have a question. What do you think of Film Noir?

Dont know too much about classic film noir but I do love some of the modern takes on it such as Heat or LA Confidential.

eldargal
08-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Depends what you mean by Film Noir. If you take the arrogant and erroneous theory that Film Noir only refers to American poetic realism and expressionism, then I like some of it. If you take it to include the European versions (like Der Blaue Engel and a bunch of the French ones whose names I can never remember) then yes.:)

scadugenga
08-23-2011, 06:19 AM
According to film theory film noir is pretty much films of the 40's and 50's--the dark anti-hero crime dramas, etc.

From the 60's onward they've coined a new term: neo noir.

Aside from making bad Matrix jokes, the term is a bit silly. It's like they're stating an entire subgenre is completely age-dependent, rather than just stylistically similar.

Drunkencorgimaster
08-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Liked Heat, loved L.A. Confidential. Neo-Neo-Noir (and Micahel Mann) fans might like Collateral and Public Enemies too. Collateral admittedly does have Tom Cruise in it, but it is still pretty solid. Public Enemies is way-underrated in my book.

Aldramelech
08-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Collateral is a great film, Public Enemies I'm not so keen on, perhaps I need to give it a second watch.

I was quite surprised to find Basic Instinct included in the neo noire genre :eek: I always considered Showgirls as Mr Verhovens finest work:D

MarneusCalgar
08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Why??

Why, Lord, why??

Why Hollywood has entered on this remake-prequel-sequel mania??? Why bother destroying good films from 80īs??

Drew da Destroya
08-24-2011, 10:01 AM
We ran out of other good ideas to destroy?

The Girl
08-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Why??

Why, Lord, why??

Why Hollywood has entered on this remake-prequel-sequel mania??? Why bother destroying good films from 80īs??

My thoughts exactly.

MarneusCalgar
08-25-2011, 05:00 PM
You may say Iīm a dreamer... but Iīm not the only one...

Hehehe thanks The Girl!!

Grailkeeper
08-26-2011, 09:41 AM
MCalgar you might like this http://www.havetheyremadebacktothefutureyet.com/

MarneusCalgar
08-26-2011, 02:02 PM
MCalgar you might like this http://www.havetheyremadebacktothefutureyet.com/

Hahahaha, thanks!!!

But... Beware!! About 2 years ago, it was heavily rumoured to be remade and that Zack Efron should play new Marty McFly...

The Girl
08-27-2011, 07:43 PM
about 2 years ago, it was heavily rumoured to be remade and that zack efron should play new marty mcfly...

*facepalm*

MarneusCalgar
08-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Fortunately, it was only rumoured...

So we must consider we are lucky

Bigred
08-31-2011, 01:37 AM
This one goes out to Eldargal and the others who asked why the fuss.

Bladerunner was way ahead of its time. By today's standards its way off base (Los Angeles 2010 - HA), and the effects are dated, but remember with everything context is king.

Scifi up until Star Wars was well lit adventure camp like Logans' Run, and the Planet of the Apes series. Star Wars blew that up but still had that grand adventure Flash Gordon kind of swagger about it. ET and Close Encounters came along with their bright positive spin on things, then this little movie called Blade Runner showed up out of nowhere.

It was adult, gritty, dark, and wasn't a grand adventure, but a dystopian cop piece that brought up concepts like what is the definition of the self. And it didn't look like anything that had come before. I would say it was the same kind of jump for Sci-fi that 20+ years later we saw when Battlestar Galactica rewrote the book on TV sci-fi after a generation was raised on Star Trek, Stargate, and the like.

I still love it dearly - but yes, it should have ended with the elevator closing...

"Are you asking me if I'm a replicant, or a lesbian Mr. Deckard?"

MarneusCalgar
08-31-2011, 06:01 AM
Completely agree...

It was the SECOND future-space like movie that showed a darker future, corrupted, with lot of poverty and race mixing, where the police is overwhelmed by the crime, and mankind has reached the stars in search of hope...

But... Big, you are forgetting something... Sir Scott just made Alien: the 8th passenger, few years before. And for me is the FIRST that showed that

eldargal
08-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Well, fair point, but I don't feel it has dated very well, unlike Alien, Star Wars and numerous other late 70s-80s genre classics.

Bigred
08-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Agreed, Alien was the real groundbreaker, (and holds up way better these days), but they are such different movies in tone its hard to directly compare them. Blade Runner was/is one of the most intellectual scifi pieces of its time, as opposed to Alien's haunted house in space.

One of these dark rainy nights, just hole up with a nice stiff drink, turn out the lights, and enjoy the performances. There are quite a few great ones hidden in there. (heck, it may have been Daryl Hannah's best).

It is one of those rare pieces that works best when viewed with total focus, alone, at night. (like Lost in Translation)

MarneusCalgar
08-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Agreed, Alien was the real groundbreaker, (and holds up way better these days), but they are such different movies in tone its hard to directly compare them. Blade Runner was/is one of the most intellectual scifi pieces of its time, as opposed to Alien's haunted house in space.

One of these dark rainy nights, just hole up with a nice stiff drink, turn out the lights, and enjoy the performances. There are quite a few great ones hidden in there. (heck, it may have been Daryl Hannah's best).

It is one of those rare pieces that works best when viewed with total focus, alone, at night. (like Lost in Translation)

The problem is that here, in Spain, the last edition sold had 5 DVD with all the versions of the movie... So I think I will choose the Directorīs cut, you know, the one that implied somehow Deckard should be another Nexus 6...

Necron2.0
09-01-2011, 12:22 AM
I would say it was the same kind of jump for Sci-fi that 20+ years later we saw when Battlestar Galactica rewrote the book on TV sci-fi after a generation was raised on Star Trek, Stargate, and the like.

Errrm ... no. I have to completely disagree here. When Star Wars first came out in 1977, it spawned a swarm of imitators. That was revolutionary ... for better or worse. Battlestar Galactica did manage to run for 4 years on a cable outlet that was clearly starved for content (they were trying to pass off pro-wrestling and "Ghost Hunters" as science fiction, after all ... and don't get me started on "Mansquito"), but despite that nobody is chomping at the bit to be the next Battlestar Galactica. The show had some good production quality in some (not all, but some) of its CGI, but that was about it. If you look at Ron Moore's career ... really, he is the Cruddace of TV Sci Fi. He has not one success to his name. His name should not be uttered in so hallowed a thread, neither anything he's been associated with.

eldargal
09-01-2011, 01:49 AM
Didn't mind BSG, though given how the people who recommended it to me were raving about it I expected better. I miss Star Trek.:( Except Enterpise, that couldn't die soon enough for me.

Aldramelech
09-01-2011, 04:18 AM
The last time I watched Blade Runner I was a teenager, so maybe I need to give it another watch....................

Lord Azaghul
09-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Didn't mind BSG, though given how the people who recommended it to me were raving about it I expected better. I miss Star Trek.:( Except Enterpise, that couldn't die soon enough for me.

Good Girl!

I've got a friend who talked me into giving Enterprise a try - swore is was the best one...he lied...its just a bad show, period! That show didn't have a chance from the outset with that awful awful theme song! I tried to push through the first season on dvd...oh I couldn't do it.

My favorite is still TNG, got all 7 seasons at home, still pop them in from time to time, especially since I don't get BBCA anymore (just talking about that makes me miss top gear!) :p

eldargal
09-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Yep, I was a huge Star Trek fan from age five onwards, loved TNG, loved DS9 (actually think on the whole DS9 was my favourite, In the Pale Moonlight one of my favourite television episodes ever), loved Voyager except where it went a bit wonky in series 6-7 but enjoyed the finale. Tried to like Enterprise. Couldn't, it just wasn't Star Trek. Someone said to watch the final series as it was much better, didn't think it was.:rolleyes: Loved TOS, of course. Enjoyed the new film I have to say, but it just isn't the same as having a television series.:(

The Girl
09-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Didn't mind BSG, though given how the people who recommended it to me were raving about it I expected better.

I had the same experience... gave up on it 4 episodes into season 3. The writers covered some interesting and relevant topics, but it just didn't capture my mind the way I kept being told it would. It feels really... flat for the most part and I ended up not liking any of the characters.

Lord Azaghul
09-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I did finish out the whole series, enjoyed most of it - especially the last season, but season 4 is where it REALLY gets bogged down. The show got the point where I HATED Starbuck and Apollo - Hated any episode that revolved around either one of them...
However I will say the show was worth finishing out JUST for the finale.
Thankfully a friend let me borrow the whole series so I could watch it at my own pace, definitely helped, I would have stopped watching it around season 3 if I had to watch just 1 episode a week.

'Lost' taught me to spurn serial TV shows while they are still on the air.

The Girl
09-01-2011, 01:42 PM
'Lost' taught me to spurn serial TV shows while they are still on the air.

Yeah... I don't have cable, so series in season long chunks is about the only way I see popular shows. Very much prefer it. Making my way through 5 seasons of The Wire right now.

Oh, gah... Lost.... don't..... just ugh. :mad:

Aldramelech
09-01-2011, 01:57 PM
The Wire is fantastic....... "Oh Innndeed!"

MarneusCalgar
09-01-2011, 03:08 PM
The best Sci Fi show actually on worldwide TV is Fringe...

I donīt like Alphas...

Lord Azaghul
09-01-2011, 03:19 PM
The best Sci Fi show actually on worldwide TV is Fringe...

I donīt like Alphas...

Fringe failed to grab me and Alphas was so poorly written it was insulting.

I tried 'Falling Skies' so slow - and again the TV problem - seems like they are written just to draw the show out as long as possible.

Unfortunately I've kind of given up on Dr Who as well - Moffat just isn't the same writer he was when Tennant was on the show, or RTD had a much better grip on the show then Moffat has.

Right now I"m kind of watching Torchwood: Miracle day (Stars on Demand came with my cable package)
I stress 'kind of' because I'm not really impressed yet - Thus far 'Children of Earth' was far better.

There just isn't much good sci-fi out right now.

I did find one surprise a few weeks ago watched 'Source Code'
Was expecting a typical hollywood sci-fi, but it actually ended up being a well written and intriguing movie.

eldargal
09-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Moffat was brilliant when he had RTD leaning over his shoulder, now that he is in charge there is no one to rein him in and the writing suffers for it. I gave up on Doctor Who when the BBC got a canadian company to make tweed jackets for the show. Using Chinese tweed after Harris Tweed started remaking the original tweed due to overhwelming interest. The irony? The Canadian/Chinese tweed jackets cost the BBC more than it would cost to get them made using Harris Tweed. Not impressed at all.

Watched some Fringe, don't remember it at all so it can't have grabbed me. Haven't seen Alphas. After Star Trek I think Firefly was the best scifi television serial. I still get angry when I think about it.

scadugenga
09-02-2011, 06:14 AM
I think Firefly was the best scifi television serial. I still get angry when I think about it.

You and the rest of us, EG...you and the rest of us.

Lord Azaghul
09-02-2011, 07:40 AM
You and the rest of us, EG...you and the rest of us.

Yup! And like 95% of everyone out there - I NEVER heard about it until I was already out on dvd.

And yet fox keeps renewing shows like 'family guy' and created an even worse spin off - which they are STILL airing...

Drunkencorgimaster
09-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Yep, Firefly is damn near perfect. Especially if you live in the US South surrounded by rural gun-toting people with funny drawls who are still pissed off about losing the war against the Alliance...er...I mean the Federals.

I go back and forth between Firefly and Farscape as my favorites. I had tried watching Farscape when it was being broadcast and could never figure out what the hell was going on. Then a year or two ago I started watching it in strict episode order from the beginning and got totally hooked. BSG and DS9 were cool too IMHO.

eldargal
09-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Well, Family Guy was cancelled and revived, but it had the advantage of not being shown out of sequence and at random times on random days. I actually don't mind Family Guy and American Dad is quite clever often. The Cleveland Show ranges from extremely amusing to incredibly vulgar but on the whole I quite like it. :rolleyes:

Yup! And like 95% of everyone out there - I NEVER heard about it until I was already out on dvd.

And yet fox keeps renewing shows like 'family guy' and created an even worse spin off - which they are STILL airing...

DrLove42
09-03-2011, 10:43 AM
This is the truth...Firefly failed because Fox set it up to fail

It was advertised as a comedy in some parts (as was Serenity if i remember the trailers correctly)
It was cut up, broadcast out of order - Episode 1 (the pilot/set up episode) was broadcast 5th or 6th if i remember correctly
Shown at horrible times

And for some reason Fox just won't sell the rights! If Nathan Fillion and Syfy teamed up they'd make a brilliant bid for it....Joss is currently busy on the Avengers movie (which will be godly) but after....

On a similar topic - Dollhouse. Series with so much potential, but felt rushed in the 2nd series because Fox cancelled that as well.

Necron2.0
09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
This is the truth...Firefly failed because Fox set it up to fail.

That's actually the same reason why the original 70's BSG series failed. There was a Star Log article at the time that revealed that. Basically ABC executives didn't believe in science fiction, and so they did everything in their power to kill it in the ratings ... and largely they failed. Eventually they did cancelled it for illegitimate reasons, but in it's day, BSG revolutionized television. It deserved much better than it got.

On a similar topic - Dollhouse. Series with so much potential, but felt rushed in the 2nd series because Fox cancelled that as well.

Dollhouse ... I couldn't get passed the fact that it somewhat glorified rape and human trafficking.