PDA

View Full Version : Mantic doubling their prices for Warpath

eldargal
08-16-2011, 07:38 AM
From Warseer:

Here is the release schedule for Warpath, taken from e-figures distribution.

All releases for October, November and December, and the prices:

October

Warpath Orx Section (10) $24.99/ £14
Warpath Orx Platoon (20) $34.99/ £20
Warpath Orx Hero $13.99/ £8
Warpath Orx Starter Army (40+2v) $74.99 / £50

November

Warpath Paint Set $24.99 / £14
Warpath Game Orxs vs Dwarfs $74.99 / £50

December

Warpath Forgefathers Steel Warriors Section (10) $24.99 / £14
Warpath Forgefathers Grizzlers Team (5) $24.99 /£14
Warpath Forgefathers Steel Warriors Platoon (20) $34.99 / £20
Warpath Forgefathers Hero $13.99 / £8
Warpath Forgefathers Army $74.99 /£50

The Warpath game box will include
55 Models, 2 vehicles, dice, rules and Mantic Points
10 Forgefathers Steel Warriors, 5 Grizzlers, 1 Big Gun
30 Orx, 10 Heavy Weapon Orx, 1 Trike

First impressions = "These are expensive". Basically... double the price of Kings of War models, regardless of material type.

£14 for 10 resin plastic wraiths or 5 resin plastic forgefather heavies.

£14 for 20 plastic skeletons or 10 (presumably plastic) forgefathers/ orx.

This is not a good move. At all.

Mantic are doubling their prices and there is absolutely no way to sugar-coat it. :(

wittdooley
08-16-2011, 08:38 AM
No comments yet? Big surprise there.

I for one was really disappointed they didn't have any of the prototypes at GenCon. I think they missed the boat there. I have no interest in copied GW Orks, but I could certainly be persuaded into some Squats if they don't look like dogshyt.

eldargal
08-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Well it seems the prices are going to be cheaper than those figures. Seems Mantic may have leaked them to gauge the reaction to higher prices and dropped the idea when the response was quite negative. A bit low, if that it was they did. Hard to see why the prices would be leaked otherwise but who knows.

wittdooley
08-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Well that "business practice" leaves an awfully poor taste in my mouth. I mean seriously....

Lemt
08-17-2011, 12:27 PM
The main draw I felt from Mantic Games' Warpath where the (expectedly) low prices.
If these prices are real, well, I really don't see ANY reason to pick them up over 40k.

Lord Azaghul
08-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Well it seems the prices are going to be cheaper than those figures. Seems Mantic may have leaked them to gauge the reaction to higher prices and dropped the idea when the response was quite negative. A bit low, if that it was they did. Hard to see why the prices would be leaked otherwise but who knows.

That sounds strangely unsubstantiated...

not to mention that of there seems to be a desire to find bad emo-stiring things about non-gw miniature companies of late...and then posting said 'bad emo-stering thing' all over the interwebs... :o

eldargal
08-17-2011, 10:33 PM
These figures were given to distributors then found their way onto the internet, then there is a fuss about it and Mantic announces the prices will be cheaper. A lot of the Mantic fans on Warseer suspect it was an attempt to gauge the customer reaction to higher prices, I'm just repeating it here.

Lord Azaghul
08-18-2011, 06:09 AM
These figures were given to distributors then found their way onto the internet, then there is a fuss about it and Mantic announces the prices will be cheaper. A lot of the Mantic fans on Warseer suspect it was an attempt to gauge the customer reaction to higher prices, I'm just repeating it here.

fair enough, I'm just trying to find the rational for the Co. doing that - especially given GW recent well known behavior :confused:

eldargal
08-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Quite, can't blame some of the Mantic crowd for getting a bit put out by it. Especially since, in my opinion, Mantic miniatures really aren't worth twice what they are now.

Lexington
08-18-2011, 01:10 PM
I for one was really disappointed they didn't have any of the prototypes at GenCon.
Actually, they did, but they weren't out on the shelves. I casually mentioned looking forward to Warpath while talking to one of the Mantic guys. He reached under the table and produced a prototype to look at. No photography allowed, but I'll tell you, it looked pretty fine.

wittdooley
08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Actually, they did, but they weren't out on the shelves. I casually mentioned looking forward to Warpath while talking to one of the Mantic guys. He reached under the table and produced a prototype to look at. No photography allowed, but I'll tell you, it looked pretty fine.

Weird. You must be better looking than me, as I was told they didn't have any ready. Kind of a shame. Did you get to see an Ork or a Squat? I simply have no interest in the Orks.

Anyways, the reason Mantic would "release" prices only to change them is because they too, just like GW, are in the business to make money. If their pricing was going to be too high and was going to cost them profits, then it makes sense. It's just a little cheezy to me.

Lexington
08-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Weird. You must be better looking than me, as I was told they didn't have any ready. Kind of a shame. Did you get to see an Ork or a Squat?
Well, you know. I may be shaped like a potato and an egg making out long-ways, but I gots me a purty smile... :p

Anyhow, it was a Squat (or Forgefather, or whatever) that they had on hand, and I was actually surprised at how nice it was. My overall outlook on Mantic is that you usually get what you pay for, with a few exceptions.

wittdooley
08-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Cool. I'm taking an open mind into the Squats, so I hope they're decently enough priced that I can justify pickin up a squad.

eldargal
08-18-2011, 11:13 PM
I was surprised how nice the Forgefather model was (I only saw the picture on Warseer though, not in person). Not a big fan of the Space Midget concept, but it was quite nice.

Faultie
08-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Prices revised down ever so slightly, but still mostly the same: (http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2011/08/19/49780/)

Updated Warpath pricing
E-figures.com have posted updated prices for the first Warpath releases from Mantic Games.

October

Warpath Orx Section (10) $23.99
Warpath Orx Platoon (20) $34.99
Warpath Orx Hero $13.99
Warpath Orx Starter Army (40+2v) $74.99
November

Warpath Paint Set $24.99
Warpath Game Orxs vs Dwarfs $74.99

December

Warpath Forgefathers Steel Warriors Section (10) $21.99
Warpath Forgefathers Grizzlers Team (5) $19.99
Warpath Forgefathers Steel Warriors Platoon (20) $31.99