PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights Vs Orks 3.5K

Unzuul the Lascivious
08-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Ok, I have literally NO idea how good orks are and what is going to be useful against them. I have 3.5K of Grey Knights to go up against them. Ideas welcome ladies and gentlemen!

vman
08-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I dont play orks, but I think they are a very good opponent. They have numbers on you and so could easily tie up your units.

celestialatc
08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Since I just played my first Orc army at 'Ard Boys (my only loss) I can tell you what I think are the dangers.

They are a horde army. You will be bogged down by attacks if you let them into CC with you. You might have the better attacks but they have have weight of numbers. Almost nothing they have will negate your armor but even if you bring Terminators and Paladins, all it takes is a few ones to ruin your day. That said, Purifiers are your anti-horde experts. If you get cleansing flames off you will get an attack on everyone you have in CC with before they can even attack!

Shoota Boyz are annoying! They can have up to 3 shots each and they are strength 7! Pure weight of fire here. If you can, outflank or DS near them and then shot and/or assault them! And Battle Wagons need to die quick. That tank shock is very annoying and bad rolls can ruin you.

In short, you need to maximize your purifiers for anti-horde protection and take out shoota boys asap.

That's my opinion but I have only had one game against orcs with my grey knights.

Unzuul the Lascivious
08-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Since I just played my first Orc army at 'Ard Boys (my only loss) I can tell you what I think are the dangers.

They are a horde army. You will be bogged down by attacks if you let them into CC with you. You might have the better attacks but they have have weight of numbers. Almost nothing they have will negate your armor but even if you bring Terminators and Paladins, all it takes is a few ones to ruin your day. That said, Purifiers are your anti-horde experts. If you get cleansing flames off you will get an attack on everyone you have in CC with before they can even attack!

Shoota Boyz are annoying! They can have up to 3 shots each and they are strength 7! Pure weight of fire here. If you can, outflank or DS near them and then shot and/or assault them! And Battle Wagons need to die quick. That tank shock is very annoying and bad rolls can ruin you.

In short, you need to maximize your purifiers for anti-horde protection and take out shoota boys asap.

That's my opinion but I have only had one game against orcs with my grey knights.

That's a good heads up, cheers. May think about using my Interceptors as Purifiers for this game

DarkLink
08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Terminators, paladins and purifiers, properly backed up, will wade through orks. Get some grenades to back them up, and the only thing you have to worry about is battle wagons.

That's if you want to tailor your list a bit, that is. GKSS just don't have the attacks, and Interceptors' mobility isn't needed since the orks will come to you.

Mr.Pickelz
08-15-2011, 07:55 PM
See if he is taking Ghaz Thraka (HQ warboss character) He gives the whole army (that has the Waagh! rule) an automatic 6 for their fleet run rolls, giving a sure-fire 18" assault range on his units. he also gets 7 attacks on the charge and has a Str 10 power klaw( same as a power fist) becarefull for the hidden power klaws on nobs in Boyz mobz. if you have a vindicare assassin, have him start poping those guys asap, also the "Shoota boyz mentioned above are called Loota's they have an autocannon that gets D3 shots, potentially 45 shots for a full unit (15 guys) Due to their mob rule if any unit is above 11 (in size)their fearless and will remain so until at 10 or below. don't let his huge amount of dice rolls affect you for shooting he needs 5's to hit you across the board, and your the same weapon skill as him, so 4's in combat. Power klaws will be the only thing in his army that should ignore your armor save.

DarkLink
08-16-2011, 05:17 AM
And make sure to take 10-man units, because you will probably see combat and 5 men will just get swept away, even Terminators or Paladins. 10 men, though, let you steal the charge and swing the combat in your favor significantly. You should kill half the unit in the first combat phase, then wipe them in the second. Combat resolution is your friend.

And always steal the charge if you can. In fact, with GKs it's better to not shoot and just assault and kill a bunch of guys if shooting would cost you the charge, even if your unit will get killed. It's better to bring a ton of orks with you before you die than to shoot 5-6 then get killed anyways.

Bard of Twilight
08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Also ,use GKSS, in order to create killing fields for his boyz. If you playing lots of purifiers,give them as many Halberts as you can. A! ALSO DON'T FORGET TO USE INCINERATORS ! Also some Orbital support would be ideal, since even when you scatter, you have good chances of hitting sth in a horde army.

DarkLink
08-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Why take Halberds (and it's Halberds, btw, not Halberts)? I6 or I4, it doesn't matter, you hit before orks anyways.

Unzuul the Lascivious
08-18-2011, 02:20 AM
Why take Halberds (and it's Halberds, btw, not Halberts)? I6 or I4, it doesn't matter, you hit before orks anyways.

Ho HO! Now THAT'S a GREAT SHOUT! I was about to finalise my list with Halberds, but I can see that would be rather pointless! Thanks Darklink, I need to amend my list! :)

DarkLink
08-18-2011, 04:19 AM
I think ork nobz are I4 on the charge, but those are only the ones without power klaws so they don't matter so much. It's the klaws you need to worry about, or the bajillion attacks from the 29 other I3 orks.

Bard of Twilight
08-19-2011, 06:33 AM
Darklink, I beg your pardon for my slip of tongue (or more accurately, slip of hand on the keyboard).By the way, usually the Orks will charge the GK, and not the vise versa.In these cases, a Furious-charging ork mob has a very real I4.In these cases,I wouldn't mind dealing them some casualties at I6, before they butcher my far-more-expensive Marine unit...

Unzuul the Lascivious
08-19-2011, 08:26 AM
So all orks get Furious Charge? I may have to charge a few myself then. Luckily Storm Bolters are assault weapons. Here's what I have so far: -

Kaldor Draigo
Paladins Unit 1 – 3xNF Swords, Psycannon and Ward Stave, Brotherhood Banner, Daemonhammer, Falchions, Psybolts
Land Raider Crusader – Psybolts

Librarian Uziel – Ward Stave, Psybolts. Psychic powers: - Might of Titan, Sanctuary, Warp Rift
Paladins Unit 2 – 8xNF Swords, Psycannon, Psilencer, Incinerator, Daemonhammer, Brotherhood Banner, Psybolts

Purifier Unit 1 – 8xFalchions, 2xIncinerators, Psybolts
Purifier Unit 2 – 8xFalchions, 2xIncinerators, Psybolts

Stormravens x 2- Multi Meltas, Hurricane Bolters, Assault Cannon, Mindstrike Missiles, Psybolts

Dreadnoughts x 2 – 2x Twin Linked Autocannon, Psybolts

Dreadknight – Heavy Incinerator, Heavy Psycannon, Greatsword, Teleporter

Vindicare Assassin

I know there'll be mistake in here somewhere. Dreadknight is for distraction purposes and hopefully to stall a charge/smash a wartrukk or whatever they're called.
What sort of charge range have orks got? How long can I stand and shoot the bleeders for? I've heard they ar largely woeful in terms of shooting, so I should be able to pour a fair amount of firepower into them, no?

DarkLink
08-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes, always always always steal the charge from orks if at all possible.

Try to bait your opponent with something that seems valuable but that you can afford to lose in order to steal the charge. GKSS work well for this, then counter assault with Purifiers and/or Terminators. And if you can get your opponent to waste his Waaaahg! that turn, awesome. I can't tell you how many times I've sacrificed a single GKSS squad to draw my opponent into a trap that he will ultimately lose a lot more from than I did. Works against other armies as well. Great way to draw THSS Terminators out of that Land Raider that just won't die, so you can shoot them to death or assault them with enough power weapons to kill them on the charge.

In these cases, a Furious-charging ork mob has a very real I4.

No, actually, only the Nobz. Nobz are base I3, Boyz are base I2. Since Nobz should have Klaws anyways, we're left with Boyz striking at either I2 or I3. Either way, Marines hit first.

The only time orks should hit at the same time as you is if you're facing a nob squad, where not all of its members will have Klaws. They, however, don't have the fifty bajillion attacks that a regular ork mob does, so you don't have to worry quite as much. They will probably have lots of Klaws, though, so you do want to kill those first.

Bard of Twilight
08-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Yes, always always always steal the charge from orks if at all possible.

No, actually, only the Nobz. Nobz are base I3, Boyz are base I2. Since Nobz should have Klaws anyways, we're left with Boyz striking at either I2 or I3. Either way, Marines hit first.

Well,you are right.Mia culpo:o.Anyway, you've built a pretty solid list ,but I would like to make some comments. First of all,I recommend you to drop all the Psilencers for incinerators.Secondly, Ireally believe, that there is absolutely no reason for you to swap Storm Ravens' Heavy bolters for multi-meltas.Since you're paying for psybolts, try to make the most of it!:)I also believe that the Psybolts at the Purifiers and the Librarian, are not really worth their cost.As I'm looking at your list, I guess that Paladins will be the backbone of your Army ,luring your opponent in charging them, and then, the Storm Ravens with the Purifiers, will interfere ,right?If that is so,consider using common Terminators,rather than super-expensive Paladins.If that is not the plan, try dropping some, in favor of a couple of nice Land Raiders.In that case, you can as well drop the Librarian, saving some points. Finally, since this list, is supposed to be an Ork-bane, I don't think that your little assassin will do a lot.I mean, one less Claw in a mob of Nobz,won't make any difference.Use the points, in order to get another Dreadnought, or transports...

Unzuul the Lascivious
08-31-2011, 06:36 AM
Ran with the above list, won hands down - we'd even increased it to 4000. I used my Dreadknights as bait - it worked, one even survived until turn 5. He nearly took the game by swaping the objectives on turn 5, but the extra turn allowed me to wipe him out. Not a scratch on the Paladins. Great game, great advice!!! :D