PDA

View Full Version : Daemons for 40k in 40mins tournament

jimbobjeff
09-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm entering a 40k in 40mins tournament at the club I go to tomorrow, the rules are the same as the ones in the 4th edition rulebook but with invulnerable saves allowed, but counted as cover saves instead, hows this for 400pts of daemonic goodness?

5 fiends of slaanesh, one with unholy might.

3 bloodcrushers

8 plagueabearers

its worth mentioning that as combat patrol dissallows deepstrike, I will be deploying normally instead. Comments?

mkerr
09-06-2009, 12:33 PM
the rules are the same as the ones in the 4th edition rulebook but with invulnerable saves allowed, but counted as cover saves instead

Is this a house rule? There's no restriction for Invulnerable saves for 40K in 40 Min or in the Combat Patrol rules.

As far as your list goes, the army feels a little bit light (even with normal deployment). You've got a smaller board, so you definitely want a unit of beasts.

Fiends are awesome but they pricey, so you can't have many in a 400pt game-- although consider Seekers if you have them. You get 5 instead of 3 and they have 25 attacks on the charge instead of the Fiends 18. When you are looking for rending, that will help. They are a great unit for the price.

I'd probably take a Herald. They are decent 2W models. Any of the Heralds can be very effective models in a 400pt game. (Personally, I'd love to play an all Nurgle or all Tzeentch army in a combat patrol, lol).

If I was playing, I'd think about Horrors over Plaguebearers. They are less survivable, but warpfire would be awesome in a combat patrol (especially if you had the points for a Bolt).

Chaos Daemons in a Combat Patrol (using normal deployment) sounds pretty crazy -- as in "it's crazy that they are letting you play them". You've got some great options in the codex and if you keep the numbers up and the price down, they can be really nasty!

-- mkerr

jimbobjeff
09-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback, i dont have any seekers unfortunatly but I reckon 5 fiends should make a mess out of most things and the bloodcrushers should hurt anything else, the fiends are really there to kill orks, I know there will be at least one horde of orks, which is the scariest army in combat patrol in my opinion.

I couldnt findthe restriction on invulnerable saves either but its in the tournament rules so I suppose I have to abide by it.

mkerr
09-06-2009, 05:39 PM
the fiends are really there to kill orks, I know there will be at least one horde of orks, which is the scariest army in combat patrol in my opinion.

Do you have Horrors? They kill Orks really good.

I'm going to have to put together a little combat patrol league and see how the rules work in 5E.

-- mkerr

jimbobjeff
09-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Unfortunatly no, I might use bloodletters though, given there are noobjectives in combat patrol, plaguebearers seem a little wasteful, and bloodletters are scary assuming I can actually get them into assault range.

There are some interesting options in combat patrol that dont see use in regular 40k, the guy that won the last tournament we had just brought 3 landspeeders and a tactical squad in a razorback, slaughtered everyone.

mkerr
09-07-2009, 09:30 AM
There are some interesting options in combat patrol that dont see use in regular 40k, the guy that won the last tournament we had just brought 3 landspeeders and a tactical squad in a razorback, slaughtered everyone.

Your mobility is one of the big worries that I have (which makes Horrors a bit better because their "reach" is pretty long on a smaller table). Daemonettes have fleet, which gives them a bit more striking distance and your beasts are pretty quick.

If you are expecting a bunch of cheap vehicles, then Screamers would be pretty good. Jetbikes with a 4+ invulnerable and meltabombs make quick work of tanks, lol.

Best of luck and let us know how the event went!

-- mkerr