PDA

View Full Version : Magnetized Predator

tjkopena
08-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Recently I assembled another Predator for my army and took some photos to create a simple tutorial. Worth checking out if you haven't gotten into magnetizing yet, to see how simple it is, and to pick up a couple tips to make it easier:

http://rocketshipgames.com/articles/predator/index.html

Thx

Emerald Rose Widow
08-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Very nice, i really need to finish magnetizing my carnifex with similar sized magnets. First I think I need to find a drill bit that will be large enough to do it with though, and that is the thing i need to get next.

faolan
08-10-2011, 12:24 AM
For the Pred, the magnets for the main guns work better if you either put in a blob of greenstuff be3hind the gun and the magnet into that, or if you put the magnets in the slots where the gun would normally be fit into on the sides - then your barrels aren't forever pointed to the sky.

tjkopena
08-10-2011, 04:55 AM
They actually aren't forever pointed at the sky in this setup either, you can set them at any angle from horizontal to up and the magnet will provide enough tension to hold them in place, but not enough to snap them upward.

As noted, I think putting the magnets in the side is very tricky to do over multiple weapons without having some of them wind up just slightly off-angle from the axis of the turret. Putting greenstuff in the turret and magnet on the rear of the weapon is as easy as the approach here and provides a more secure connection at full horizontal, but I think doesn't allow you to rotate the barrel as much as this scheme (which may or may not be important to you).

DwarfDude
08-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Looks good Joe! I need to do this for the Ultramarines.

Jon

A Barb
08-10-2011, 08:29 AM
That is cool I am going to do that with my Baals