PDA

View Full Version : Making Eldar work for tournament

PRoeske
08-07-2011, 06:07 AM
In a couple of months, there will be the next Grand Tournament (October). I was planning on a new Dark Eldar army, but unfortunately broke my wrist, so there won't be a lot of painting for a while.

As i do have quiet some Eldar around (previous edition Saim Hann army + extra's), i'm looking at playing them.

Most likely opponents:
- Space Wolves (app. 40% or more)
- Space Marines
- Blood Angels
- Some 'nids
- Imperial Guard

Top Players will be playing:
- Salamanders
- Trygon/stealer Nids
- Space Wolves (12 missiles // mech or twc)
- Space Marines (imp. fist liuke armies)

What missions to expect (5 games, not 100% sure):
- only 1 killpoints (first)
- 1unknown
- 3 times objectives

Is was thinking the following list:
- 2x Autarch /w fusion gun @ 80 each
- 2x5 Dragons in Lance/stone Serpent @ 225
- 3x5 Dire Avengers in Lance/stone Serpent @ 205
- 2x3 Bikes /w Shuriken Cannon @ 76 each
- 3x3 walkers /w double shuriken catapults @ 120 each

= 1737 total

With 2 autarchs, i will play al reserves, going 2nd. This denies, my opponent 2 turns of shooting. The Warwalkers will Outflank to take down either side armour or Long Fangs, depending on opponent. Aigainst nids i will just let them walk in from the board edge.

I know scatter lasers are better on walkers, but to field 9 SL walkers i'll need an additional 180 points. Bacause of the risk in outflanking, i definately want 9 of them. Unless opponents deploy in the center of field (middle 12"-es), they will always have a target.

After killing initial treats, i'll just fly around the field sacrficing units wherever it's needed to maintain board control.

I'd really like your opinion on this list.

Grt. Pim

AbusePuppy
08-07-2011, 08:32 AM
The Autarchs aren't bringing a whole lot to the list- one is not bad, but you really, really want a Farseer in there to buff guys up. At the very least, get Runes of Warding, Doom, and either Guide or Fortune (depending on preference); this will help shut down enemy psykers while still projecting a good field presence of your own- Doom is great with its 24" range and Guide can help compensate for BS3, while Fortune can make a tank all but indestructible if it moves Flat Out or otherwise has a cover save.

Lances on Serpents are very mediocre. One BS3 shots for the price simply isn't worth it; better to take Cannon/Cannon and just spit out a ton of S6 shots to shake/stun enemy tanks. Fire Dragons will deal with any heavy targets you find, so just keep those Rhinos and Razorbacks from shooting and you'll be doing okay. I also think you could safely dump the Stones on the DA Serpents; they let you Turbo when Stunned, but that's really it, which is a 1/6 chance on the damage table. It's a different matter on Falcons, who are more likely to need it, but Serpents don't benefit nearly as much from Stones.

The Bikes are a cute trick, but usually they'll take a few hits, fail an armor save, and scoot off the board. Pulling the last-minute contest/control tricks with them is basically dependent on your opponents not being smart enough to aim some Bolters their way earlier in the game (or get very lucky with reserve and game-end rolls.)

War Walkers are a little bit of an awkward fit for the list, since they are relatively slow when everything else is fast. Sure, they'll come in from a board edge and throw a ton of shots at something, but being AV10 it's pretty likely that they will vaporize almost immediately after, or get tied up in melee combat, or simply be out of range because 24" just isn't that much. Smart opponents won't go in the middle of the board, they'll stick all their guys along one edge so that 1/3 of your guys come in on the wrong side and are useless (and if they have enough they can block off that whole edge and make 1/3 of your guys die because of being unable to enter.) I would suggest Fire Prisms or Night Spinners in their place, but if you do use them, Scatter Lasers are infinitely superior.

I also think you could benefit from one more Fire Dragon squad, since they're so amazingly cheap and effective, but at 1750 you're still in the range where you can survive without it.

All-reserve lists can work, but Eldar aren't actually that great at it because most of their units aren't very scary the turn they arrive from reserves, which is a key factor. Even coming in on a 2+, you WILL miss out on some guys, because you're adding one more die roll that can go wrong to the game. That means you need to be coming in hard and hitting the enemy as soon as you arrive- the War Walkers have the potential to do that, but everything else is basically going to be jerkin' about for the next 3-5 turns hoping not to die.

fuzzbuket
08-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Is was thinking the following list:
- 2x Autarch /w fusion gun @ 80 each
- 2x5 Dragons in Lance/stone Serpent @ 225
- 3x5 Dire Avengers in Lance/stone Serpent @ 205
- 3x3 walkers /w double shuriken catapults @ 120 each

= 1737 total

1x Autarch /w fusion gun,scorpian chainsword, mandiblasters and spider pack -- 120 (deepstrike in shoot something, warp jump away then assault something like long fangs)

1x farseerwith guide, mindwar, spirit stones, runes of warding,runes of witnessing. - 130 (stick him with the big avenger squad)

- 2x5 Dragons(exarch+ crack shot+firepike) in missle/stone Serpent @ 235 (crack shot ignores cover)

1x10 avengers w/ exarch badestorm,twinpults, serpent, stones and missle = 282 (bladestorm is wonderful :D )

- 1x5 Dire Avengers in Lance/stone Serpent @ 160

1x5 avengers = 60 (to hold home objective)

- 2x3 walkers /w double scatter lasers@ 180

ive taken away 3 war walkers and removed some lances and a serpent to :
make 1 of the avenger units MUCH more deadly
turned the akward autarch into a very killy suicide unit
made the dragons ignore cover AND give the exarch a better gun
upgrade the war walkers to have 1 more shot and 24' more range
and added in a super killy farseer, (whos runes will make GK cry ^_^ ) who can make the avengers/ war walkers more accurate!
and if you want to squeeze in more drop the stones and put in another unit!
-fuzz

Da Gargoyle
08-12-2011, 06:39 PM
The ladz are right, stick with one autarch and tool him up a little more. Get a farseer and go with what you think are the most suitable psych powers for you. I like mind war in particular as it lets you target specific troops like characters and HQ. I would go for missiles on the Serpents as you get flexibility. The force seems light on for assault troops but that may be your preference and two dragon units will scare SM to death.

I have put a farseer on a bike. Teamed with the other bikers you have an improved Leadership and possible re-rolls in saves or enemy wounding shots, depending on your psych powers.

If you can, put cannons and scatter lasers on the falcons to deal with nid type armies and also on serpents as it gives you an alternative if you lose the turret. And possibly change the five man avengers for pathfinders. Big cover saves there, pretty cheap at 120 pt and nice threat to nid type HQ and pysch units. Even marines can get caught by snipers as a 5+ to hit for pathfinders gives you AP1