PDA

View Full Version : 1250 pt dark eldar list. need criticism.

tek4wiseman
08-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Ok so i've got a small eldar force together and so far i'm using almost ever model i have in this list. The only parts i don't have are the trueborn, and the court of the archon. I have two squads of seven (five with a death jester and shadowseer) harlequins that i can also use. In the near future i will have the ability to add some to the force, what suggestions would you make for changes?

HQ-549
Archon -Huskblade -Combat Drugs -Haywire Grenades -Ghostplate Armor -Clone Field
-Court of the Archon -Sslyth*3 -Lhamaean -Medusae*2

Baron Sathonyx -with 9 hellions -helliarch -with stunclaw

Elite-280

Kabalite Trueborn*5 -Splinter Cannon*2 -Blaster*3
-Venom -Splinter Cannon -Chain Snares

Mandrakes*5 -Nightfiend

Troops-320

Warriors*10 -Splinter Cannon -Raider

Warriors*10 -Splinter Cannon -Raider

Fast Attack-101

Reavers*3 -Blaster -Cluster Caltrops

thecactusman17
08-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Check your court. Choices there are 1+ in all selections. Also, huskblades are not a good choice when you are never wounding high toughness models. Take an agonizer. Drop the combat drugs too, they wont help you much. Take the excess and buy a shadow field and blasters for the warriors.

chicop76
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Check your court. Choices there are 1+ in all selections. Also, huskblades are not a good choice when you are never wounding high toughness models. Take an agonizer. Drop the combat drugs too, they wont help you much. Take the excess and buy a shadow field and blasters for the warriors.

For 10 point I would keep the drugs. Half of the frug effects are very useful and it's a cheap upgrade and is even better with the serpent.

darkeldardenny
08-04-2011, 11:28 PM
With the archon choose what you want, except don't choose a court. They are terribad. Switch them out for a small squad of incubi or medium squad of wyches. Drop Mandrakes no matter how cool they look. I'd go with a heat lance over a blaster on the bikes any day but thats me.

thecactusman17
08-05-2011, 02:34 AM
For 10 point I would keep the drugs. Half of the frug effects are very useful and it's a cheap upgrade and is even better with the serpent.

Three critical issues with that statement.

Half the drug possibilities are useless for an Archon. He already has ridiculous WS scores, tons of attacks, and the faster run is useless when he is attached to any other unit without drugs. He also doesn't have Duke Sliscus, who would harm his warriors (unless he dropped a splinter cannon or blaster from one of the Kabalite units) by forcing them out of their transport. Finally, even with the best scenario he will never be better than S5 (S+1 drugs and Furious Charge), so swiftly killing MCs or ICs at T4+ is going to be a difficult trick to pull off.

The agonizer is ALWAYS a good choice for the cost. You can always kill those units regardless of strength or toughness. Hell, if you keep the drugs you can even reroll to wound and with 6 attacks on the charge, that's a darn good deal.

The Shadow field is a great option, far better than the clone field. The only downside to the Clone field is that it simply does not work outside of Close Combat. But a 2++ doesn't just protect you in assault, it also staves off shooting, dangerous terrain, and a host of other things that completely ignore armor saves. For only 5 more points, it's a great investment.

I'm glad that somebody wants to run the Archon's Court, but i hope he's aware of the pitfalls.The biggest is that he has to take 1 or more of each model, no exceptions. This means that even when you would prefer to leave some behind (the ur-ghuls and Lhameans spring to mind) you still have to take at least one.

chicop76
08-05-2011, 05:04 AM
Three critical issues with that statement.

Half the drug possibilities are useless for an Archon. He already has ridiculous WS scores, tons of attacks, and the faster run is useless when he is attached to any other unit without drugs. He also doesn't have Duke Sliscus, who would harm his warriors (unless he dropped a splinter cannon or blaster from one of the Kabalite units) by forcing them out of their transport. Finally, even with the best scenario he will never be better than S5 (S+1 drugs and Furious Charge), so swiftly killing MCs or ICs at T4+ is going to be a difficult trick to pull off.

The agonizer is ALWAYS a good choice for the cost. You can always kill those units regardless of strength or toughness. Hell, if you keep the drugs you can even reroll to wound and with 6 attacks on the charge, that's a darn good deal.

The Shadow field is a great option, far better than the clone field. The only downside to the Clone field is that it simply does not work outside of Close Combat. But a 2++ doesn't just protect you in assault, it also staves off shooting, dangerous terrain, and a host of other things that completely ignore armor saves. For only 5 more points, it's a great investment.

I'm glad that somebody wants to run the Archon's Court, but i hope he's aware of the pitfalls.The biggest is that he has to take 1 or more of each model, no exceptions. This means that even when you would prefer to leave some behind (the ur-ghuls and Lhameans spring to mind) you still have to take at least one.

The court allows you to get more models on the table via putting more boats on the table. The carbine and flame attacks is a really helpful add to a venom.

With drugs that's why I said only 50% useful and would be a better choice if they was to take the serpent. The strength boost with power weapon and soultrap would be awesome, although very hard to pull off.

Shadowfield is a no brainer, yet clone field is to situational.

tek4wiseman
08-05-2011, 07:40 AM
I was not aware of that fact about the court, s such they will not be used. I will switch out the shield for the field and if the agoniser will eat through things just as well i will trade. The mandrakes were bought to paint not to use, I just needed the point boost, its either that or i have two seven man squads of harlys. I played a game last night against black tenplars with two rhino and a land raider with no deployed troops and after three turns of shooting with the two dark lances I had penetrated six times with not even a weapon destroyed. I think at least one ravager may be a must.

thecactusman17
08-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Sorry to hear your bad luck with the lances. Try using a heat lance on the bikes and see if the ap1 helps.

The mandrakes aren't "optimal" but they also aren't an auto-lose option, just be picky about how and where they are used.