PDA

View Full Version : First or Second

Hive Mind
08-02-2011, 11:15 PM
This barely qualifies as 'tactics' but...

Do you prefer deploying first and having the first turn or deploying second and having the last turn?

Personally I prefer going second if for no other reason than I don't like my opponent having the last say in a game and I don't like having to sit there passively while the final turn plays out.

newtoncain
08-02-2011, 11:46 PM
all depends on the scenario, what I'm playing against and when time is called, its dice down or finish the currect round.

DarkLink
08-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I prefer to simply seize the initiative whenever I feel like it.

weeble1000
08-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I think that's highly dependent on the specific situation: opponent, terrain, scenario, etc.

If I had to generalize, I like to go first if only to pick which side of the table I play on. Playing second has significant advantages, but many, many times in a tournament situation I've come to a table that had a table edge I really didn't want to be on. Good deployment and movement can make the best of any terrain set-up, but it never hurts to be able to dictate to your opponent what half of the table he has to deploy on.

armbarred
08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
If I am playing my daemons, I want to go second.
If I am playing for objectives, I want to go second.
If I am playing my Tau, I want to go first.
If it is Dawn of War, and I am playing an opponent with a lot of Heavy Weapons I want to go first.
If it is Dawn of War, and I have a lot of Heavy Weapons I want to go First.

It is all dependent on multiple factors.

Bean
08-03-2011, 05:27 PM
As's been said, there are a lot of factors to be considered. If you always prefer the same option, you're probably doing it wrong.

If you're playing an all-reserves army, always go second. If not:

If you're playing Dawn of War you may want to go second.

If you're playing against an all-reserves army, you will almost certainly want to go second.

If you're playing kill points or against an army with a good alpha and one of the above conditions doesn't hold, you probably want to go first.

If you have a good alpha and one of the above conditions doesn't hold, you probably want to go first.

If you're playing for objectives, you should be comparing the value of last-turn objective manipulation against the value of your alpha.

If one deployment zone is substantially better for you or substantially worse for your opponent, you may want to choose to go first so that you can select an advantageous deployment-zone distribution.

That covers the relevant conditions I can come up with off the top of my head.

Demonus
08-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Remember, if you're not first, you're last- Ricky Bobby

schulzed
03-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah, it definitely depends. But a lot of the time, in objective missions, I do prefer to go second. The last turn grabs are always important. I can usually hide well enough on the first turn to avoid any real damage.

Father
03-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Like others have stated, it depends on a lot of factors. There are benefits to both, really.

Soss
03-06-2012, 01:41 AM
I always like going second for most of the armies I play. I think you can get a battle plan that way.

Wolfshade
03-06-2012, 03:19 AM
I prefer second as it enables me to react to my opponent.
Going first I sometimes feel a bit, "hmm I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing"
Whereas, 2nd you can see where the enemy wants to fight, and deploy in ways to either meet it head on, or deflect the blow and target a weaker section of the line.
Of course this philosophy fails when facing a fully reserved list...

Iaipunk
03-06-2012, 10:18 AM
I would say I almost always go second.
I like the ability to respond to my opponent's deployment.

That being said, there are always times where it is better to go first.
(most notably for me: when fielding a ton of reserves, or using Eldrad)

Rahakanji
03-06-2012, 10:32 AM
It depends on the Army and the opponent...
With my IA or Tau, i prefer almost always turn 1, but against armys with short ranges or lack of transport i have no Problem with going second, against every army that can move more than 12", with most of its units first turn is important. But against shooty armys, in corner deployment or good cover on the table, second isn't bad either. With my GK or Chaos i don't realy care if first or second, at least when i have cover!

There are so many thinks i consider when i have to decide first or second, there is no easy answer!

Rapture
03-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I prefer to go first against mech armies (I play Tau and SM). They pay so much to load up in transport, killing two or three in the first round can be a serious dent in their effectiveness.

I prefer to go second against CC armies. I let them deploy then I maximize the distance between us to get some extra time to deal with their rush.

ragnarcissist
03-06-2012, 11:03 AM
it all depends, but most of the time i like to go first... that first turn shooting has won me several games (long fangs love going first) but dawn of war is the worst deployment ever

ara989
03-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I tend to want to go second if I'm doing deepstriking armies or objective games. Otherwise I like to go first.

keithsilva
03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
depends on mission set up and who i am playing, I play Eldar ALOT and normal will go frist just to stop what i can before it shots at me

CorvusCorax
03-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Well it depends on the scenario and terrain. But I almost always perfer to go second.