PDA

View Full Version : Genestealer brotherhood counts as grey knights?

isotope99
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
OK, bear with me here before you unleash.

The usual genestealer brotherhood list is a variant of Imperial Guard with captured equipment etc.

My main problem with this is that even with Straken (who is about the only IG character who makes a passable genestealer) the army will still play and feel like IG and lack that CC bite that you'd expect from stealers. Plus the infantry conversions get repetitive fast.

So how does this look? essentially its henchmen with a few extras to add to the anti-mech potential

HQ
Coteaz = Genestealer magus (must have for this list)
Grey knight characters grand master/librarian (one allowed as the genestealer patriarch/broodlord)

Elites
Assassins = Assassins (not very fluffy, but otherwise this slot would be empty and assassination is a tool used by the cults)

Troops (backbone of the force)
Henchmen:
Arco flagellants = enraged hybrids
Crusader = Corrupted arbites (with riot shields and power mauls/hybrid claws)
Death Cult assassins = Purestrain stealers
Servitors = Heavy weapon hybrids
Psykers = Magus thralls
Acolytes = Genestealer brotherhood
Chimera = looted chimera

Heavy
Land raiders = looted heavy vehicles (again not very fluffy but could work with the right conversions)

Denzark
08-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Mr Iso, a confession:

I started reading, and i was ready to flame/troll you into the ground.

Actually, on consideration, I think this is an awesome idea - excepting landraiders as the chimera or rhino should sub for coven limousine.

My respects sirrah.

MaltonNecromancer
08-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Inspired "counts as" suggestions. I like a lot.

Grailkeeper
08-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Would suggesting a Nemisis Dreadknight as some kind of power lifter be too much of an Aliens reference?

Eldrad
08-01-2011, 11:44 PM
I love the idea, i think for the grand master a magus with in a suit of clawed up terminator armor with claws instead of the hands would just be awesome (to kinda imply he got it off of killing a terminator, and took it as a trophy, good for wysiwyg), and maybe for a land raider a limo type vechical that has many plates attached to it with lots of weapons bolted to it, would kinda look orky, but if you did it right and maybe had some hybrids sticking out the windows or on the guns it would just be so awesome!

Denzark
08-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Hard to make a limo look land-raideresque - unless it is stretched hummer stylee...

wkz
08-02-2011, 02:29 AM
Would suggesting a Nemisis Dreadknight as some kind of power lifter be too much of an Aliens reference?
For a cult of a codex (Tyranids) that is basically an Aliens reference, it will be a crime NOT to put in the Power lifter...

You're not allowed to buy ranged upgrades for the thing thou. The classic power lifter does not have weaponry... having a flamethrower at most.

fuzzbuket
08-02-2011, 03:28 AM
hmmm some very good counts as, however my 2 suggestions are:

1) as arco flangellents are tougher and stronger than the rest of the henchmen shouldnt they be purestrain?
2) terminator armour is hard to justify on something as squish as a patricarh ? how about giving him some hybrids with shields? or a energy field.
3)if done properly the land raider could be some sort of 'beast in the sewers' but probably should be missed out.
4) assains = assasins? no, no, no youve forgotten the other nid' that was in the stealer dex: lictors :D
5) id also lean to more hybrids, less purestrain.

still a very nice idea, if all the conversions are done nicely (and knowing your conversiion skills they will :P)

-fuzz

isotope99
08-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the comments, that dreadknight power loader sounds fun.

Not yet sure if this is going to make it off teh drawing board to be a real army but I think this model is getting made regardless:

The Pimpmobile (counts as chimera):

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/567/DSC02962.JPG

celestialatc
08-02-2011, 08:19 PM
That picture is priceless. Brilliant idea sire! I hope this gets off the drawing board or atleast post some more drawings!

Denzark
08-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Hey Iso

This idea is amusing, but respectfully, not fluffy. The coven limousines are all fairly discrete (insofar as a limo is discrete) symbols of cult power, not something Xzibit has pimped prior to giving to a psycho for upgunning!

Hence why I feel the limo can't be a LR - probably more right Chimaera size.

isotope99
08-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Hey Iso

This idea is amusing, but respectfully, not fluffy. The coven limousines are all fairly discrete (insofar as a limo is discrete) symbols of cult power, not something Xzibit has pimped prior to giving to a psycho for upgunning!

You're probably right, although I thought the Limo was made up for the fandex?

My fluff justification for this is a short Ciaphas Cain story where the cult takes over the local adult entertainment as a way to corrupt less virtuous guardsmen.

I do also want to do a more subtle version (hard to be less subtle) along the lines of your comment above.

For the Land Raider(s) I'm thinking of doing something with a slimmed down baneblade/shadowsword chassis so that it has about the right LR footprint and modelling them as some sort of looted construction/mining vehicles with bolted on weapons. Would fit well with the power loader suggestion.

Anggul
08-03-2011, 02:50 AM
Land raider? Easy.

Stolen mobile Arbite platform.

I was going to say mobile precinct house, but that would be more bane-blade sized. So basically a mini one!

Basically get a land raider, get part of the Sanctum Imperialis, and build a one-story building on it slightly smaller than a land raider. Use the aquilla doors on the front, but model/pain two human-like arms coming out next to the usual talons for extra genestealery lulz. ;D (the talons are three-pronged, just like genestealer front claws)

Grailkeeper
08-03-2011, 03:35 AM
I'd imagine you'd probably green stuff the pimp hats, but there are loads of models in the empire range that have pimp hats or at least pimp like hats.

This character looks like he stepped right out of the 70's. The 1670's.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2020011

A quick youtubeing turned this up when I was looking for some funk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ke7OOHx18

Denzark
08-03-2011, 09:53 AM
You're probably right, although I thought the Limo was made up for the fandex?

My fluff justification for this is a short Ciaphas Cain story where the cult takes over the local adult entertainment as a way to corrupt less virtuous guardsmen.

I do also want to do a more subtle version (hard to be less subtle) along the lines of your comment above.

For the Land Raider(s) I'm thinking of doing something with a slimmed down baneblade/shadowsword chassis so that it has about the right LR footprint and modelling them as some sort of looted construction/mining vehicles with bolted on weapons. Would fit well with the power loader suggestion.

No, it was this originally way back when. Crappy photo you'll have to google it, or see it in the 40K compilation.

But looking at the right hand limo I guess you have some grounds to pimp a little...

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/denzark/imagesCABC5A8E.jpg

HsojVvad
08-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I love the idea of a pimped our Hummer. :D

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
08-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey Iso

That should be easy to bypass with fluff - the Cult is rising up on a flashy, gangridden hive world in which the gang leaders (and other powerful figures) all compete in having the most ridiculously large and gaudy ride, probably based off mining gear. In such an environment, it would be downright suspicious for the cult to have a small, reasonable limo.

isotope99
08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the pic Denzark.

I think I might just make my cult a silly, fun antidote to Grimdark, like the orks are.

With that in mind, here is my concept for my hybrid psyker henchmen squad.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/567/DSC02963.JPG

Denzark
08-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I have tried to cost this off ebay with original hybrids etc. £9.99 for a single metal? I think not baby puppy, my counts as stealers may be a little light on hybrids...

Drew da Destroya
08-07-2011, 11:00 PM
This is a fantastic idea, and I look forward to seeing more. I love the HiB (Hybrid in Black).

The Patriarch could be based off of The Overtyrant from Ogre Kingdoms (]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440072a&prodId=prod1160127)

fuzzbuket
08-08-2011, 02:06 AM
please let that pimpmobile be a joke! 40k gangs are either (i think)

- underhive: colourful, tattoed, knives, mohawks, ect. probably not many stealers here, and if there is not weatlthy enough for cars

- upperhuve - $$$ minted traders, goveners, assasins, bounty hunters, either in suits, victorian finery or extreme tech implants. but the pimpmobile wouldnt exist here but patricarchs might.

- mutants.- lowest levels of underhive, yes to purestrain and lictors, flip even a carnifex.

i suggest go read some kal jerico: my locla libriary has a few and its very good!

Lockark
08-08-2011, 10:03 AM
As Long as you avoid power Armour I could see this working.

isotope99
08-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Another cartoon as I wait for bits to arrive. I've dug out my Space Hulk genestealers for repainting in the retro blue/purple scheme.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/567/DSC02969.JPG

@Fuzzbucket Yes it's a joke and yes I'm still going to do it :p

BuFFo
08-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Remember, the genestealer cult limo was armor 9 all around. It was never a battle vehicle. It was always just a simple limo.

eldargal
08-09-2011, 01:50 AM
So young and innocent.:p
Genestealer cults and limos pre-date Necromunda (the game) even, before the gang cultures on that world were codified. Plenty of room for gangs on other word to be 'pimped out' and whatnot, not all world are hive worlds and not all hives would have the same structure as Necromundan hives.

please let that pimpmobile be a joke! 40k gangs are either (i think)

- underhive: colourful, tattoed, knives, mohawks, ect. probably not many stealers here, and if there is not weatlthy enough for cars

- upperhuve - $$$ minted traders, goveners, assasins, bounty hunters, either in suits, victorian finery or extreme tech implants. but the pimpmobile wouldnt exist here but patricarchs might.

- mutants.- lowest levels of underhive, yes to purestrain and lictors, flip even a carnifex.

i suggest go read some kal jerico: my locla libriary has a few and its very good!

fuzzbuket
08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
@ isotope ,

good luck :P hopefully it will look good IRL. and keep the witty doodles coming ;)

-fuzz

and please not that the patriarch kitchener in the poster requires a monacle and mustache :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Kitchener_Wants_you

p.s. anyone elses email subsctiption to threads not working?

isotope99
08-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Public service message from your local commissar:

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/photopost/data/567/DSC02976.JPG

Valkerie
08-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Interesting coincidence. The first banner ad that came up when I clicked on this thread was "Find Your Ride at Limos.com." :)

Thornblood
08-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Heh. This is awesome.

The Pimpmobile does seem to lack a certain sophistication thats expected with limo's, but with the stat-line you have to work around its seems sweet. Just needs a custom paint job. Might need to be a stretch limo to fit the transport capacity inside (but not too much, I mean you cant fit that many marines in a Rhino model can you).

It would be hard to justify the Land Raider Im afraid. You could haveyour corrupt Arbites rock up in Repressors though- http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Witch_Hunters/REPRESSOR-COMPLETE-KIT.html loose the flamer and its just a rhino anyway! Repressors are an Arbites vehicle of choice.

TBH this all works well as a 'competitive/tournament list'. At home with mates I thiunk you should be fine using a Tyranid Broodlord as a HQ and Stealers as elites straight from the Nid dex. Your fluffy enough and not trying just to win in my mind to qualify for pic-n-mix codex's

Also I think the poster is Uncle Sam. Kitchener is incorruptible.

miteyheroes
08-16-2011, 10:59 AM
I remember an issue of the Warhammer comic had a force of Arbites under attack from a Stealer Cult. At the end the doors of the Precinct House were knocked down by this HUGE tractor-esque vehicle. It was easily as big/bigger than a Land Raider.

I think some sort of heavy industrial / farming vehicle with extra guns and armour plates makes perfect sense.