PDA

View Full Version : 2K points of Marines vs 1K Guard & 1K Eldar

atreides
09-05-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm a little afraid to do this, but I'd like a little input so I can analyze my choices later.

Tomorrow I'm playing a couple of friends at 40K. They'll be fielding 1K Guard and 1K Eldar against 2K of my Marines. None of us is a hardcore player, but we are a little competitive and they're both a little gloaty so I want to make sure I give as good as I get. They won't talk smack if they win by the seat of their pants...

Captain w/ lightning claw, combi-plasma & Hellfire rounds
10-man Tac Squad w/ power weapon/bolt pistol, missile launcher & flamer in Rhino
10-man Tac Squad w/ power weapon/bolt pistol, missile launcher & flamer in Rhino
10-man Tac Squad w/ power weapon/bolt pistol, missile launcher & flamer
10-man Sternguard w/lightning claw/bolter, missile launcher & flamer in Rhino
10-man Devastator Squad w/missile launcher x4 in a Razorback
Speeder Squadron ([heavy bolter & heavy bolter] x3)
Dreadnought (assault cannon & heavy flamer)
Dreadnought (multi-melta & heavy flamer) in a Drop Pod
Whirlwind x2

The plan is something like this: If it's Seize Ground, I'll hold my own objective, assault another and contest a third or more if I have to. If it's Capture & Control, I'll do the same but there'll only be two objectives to worry about. If it's Annihilation, I'll stay squadded up and assault in force. The Sternguard will use Dragonfire ammo to deny cover saves and (if I combat squad them) possibly Hellfire ammo with the Captain to kill an Avatar. The Dred with the multi-melta will drop pod in behind the Leman Russ and Basilisk I expect to find against me. The other Dred will be kept behind for the Swooping Hawks I expect to Deep Strike near me and the Striking Scorpions I know will be assaulting me. Whirlwinds and Devastators should provide effective anti-infantry and the speeders will pick off squads at range until late game when I can rush them to contest an objective.

Any obvious flaws in my army or my plan? I'd feel stupid if I missed something so essential that I can just surrender at setup...

Thanks in advance for the commentary/criticism.