PDA

View Full Version : Just received my Storm Strider

scadugenga
07-28-2011, 10:32 PM
And...wow. What a cool looking model.

I'll post some pics/review of the casting, etc in a day or so, when I have anything resembling real free time.

laestli
07-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Have you run it in any games yet, even just as an empty 110mm disc?

wittdooley
07-29-2011, 03:07 PM
And...wow. What a cool looking model.

I'll post some pics/review of the casting, etc in a day or so, when I have anything resembling real free time.

You won't happen to be at Games Day Chicago, will you?

scadugenga
07-30-2011, 04:21 PM
@laestli: Not yet. It just arrived Thurs night, and I was at a Sox game last night, and an anniversary party today.

Perhaps I'll get a game in with it next week sometime.

@witt: Wow...that's...today. So nope, not there. Was at a 50th anniversary party all day today. Which is not the best thing to do after being at a Sox night game the evening prior. :)

wittdooley
07-31-2011, 07:25 PM
I dunno if you built yours yet Scad, but mine was a huge pain in the ***. There were tons of mold lines, but not the ones that bump up in one place; they were the ones that look like the mold was offset when they cast it.

The legs were also a mess to work with, attaching to the body at least.

The resin and the metal just don't want to stick together very well.....

scadugenga
08-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I may just pin everything and go from there.

wittdooley
08-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Some recommendations:

On the metal leg parts that go into the "body hub:" If I build another one, I'm going to sand off the square parts on those and just pin them. The position was much easier on the one I did this too than the 3 that I didn't.

On the guard rails for the standing platform: You'll need to shave off one of the nubs on the platform for the guard rails to sit on it properly. I think I did the ones closest to the middle, but I doubt it matters which; the holes on the bottom of the guard rail aren't the proper width to accept each nub.

On the "arc" piece with the generators on it: my connection point where it connects with the metal standing platform didn't fit. I shaved that part down too.