PDA

View Full Version : I am your airbrush...

fade_74
07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Heya! I am your airbrush, and let me give you a few tips.

I'm just like your wife, husband, life partner, etc.

If you get one that's cheap, it may look good at the start, but you will be sorry you didn't get a better one. One that is to cheap will always turn on you. You will love it, but it will turn on you sooner or later.

Spend a lot of time with me. I can be used right out of the box, but if you take some time and get to know me....it can be bliss. Period. Practice makes perfect, and is tons of fun!

Keep me clean and healthy! Every time you use me, give me a good rub down with alcohol afterwords. Clean every nook and cranny. Once a month, take me apart and really go to town. Use up lots of Q-Tips.

Don't feed me the cheap stuff, it just clogs up the works. If you feed me anything purchased at Wal-Mart, I will vomit all over that nice new thing you were working on. And not like baby vomit....it will be chunky.

Don't allow your friends to use me. They can get their own.

Keep in mind that sometimes I will screw up for no reason, it happens. Never trust me completely or that's when I'll ruin something. Kind of like a cat.

Don't drop me, I will break.

We can have a loving relationship for many, many years, but sooner or later I will wear out. Then you can get me new parts!

Love,
Your Airbrush

Now on a serious note! A TON of people say you MUST have a good compressor with an air tank. For miniature painting it just isn't true. A compressor that constantly runs puts out air pressure in a pulsing manner. In my opinion, this doesn't detract from painting models. You are looking for a natural, scattered effect. If you want a very flat surface with no color modulation, try a can of spray paint. I use a REALLY cheap compressor, probably made to do nails with lol http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/abdtc16.html
Like I said, it works for me.

Here is the brush I use. http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/paasche.aspx
It is the paasche talon. Made in Chicago. VERY reliable and super sturdy. You will notice that prices have a wide range depending on brand. This one is low priced but is just as good as one you would pay a few hundred bucks for. Stay away from unknown knockoffs made in china.

Now get out there and try an airbrush! I would see if any of my friends has one, and get a lesson from him or her. Watch some videos. Ask some questions. See if it might make you a better painter.

magickbk
07-27-2011, 08:23 PM
As someone who just picked one up, may I second this advice, and also add:

1. The first time you use it, you will probably clog it. The hour you spend figuring out how to disassemble and clean it will be invaluable to understanding how it works.

2. Spray a little bit of cardboard first to get used to it. You will be surprised at how little paint you think is coming out, and then at how much actually comes out when you move it a little closer to your model.

3. Get some sort of Airbrush medium, be it actual Airbrush medium or some other fluid you read about somewhere.

4. Experiment BEFORE you spray your new favorite shiny thing.

faolan
07-28-2011, 12:33 AM
No, you do want the compressor with air tank - the tank pressurizes and then keeps at a constant flow due to having a decent regulator. You want your slightly irregular finish to be from your own fingerwork and pulsing the airbrush when you want it pulsed, not when it wants to.

energongoodie
07-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Heya! I am your airbrush, and let me give you a few tips.

I'm just like your wife, husband, life partner, etc.

Cleverly done.

fade_74
07-28-2011, 08:30 AM
No, you do want the compressor with air tank - the tank pressurizes and then keeps at a constant flow due to having a decent regulator. You want your slightly irregular finish to be from your own fingerwork and pulsing the airbrush when you want it pulsed, not when it wants to.

K, if that is true, show me. Please feel free to post pics of your work.

The thing is, pulsing would be bad, if you are painting T-shirts, pinstripes on cars, fingernails, etc. On minis, it is really a moot point. I know that the popular thing on the net is "OMG buy an expensive compressor or you suck", but it just isn't true.

Rafe_131
07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Won't a compressor/tank combo cause unwanted water to build up in the line and eventually the airbrush? I know it's a major problem with large air compressors. The air condenses and you always have to fight water getting into the tool you happen to be using at the time.I figured a small compressor/tank would do the same thing.

energongoodie
07-28-2011, 08:50 AM
My compressor has a little tank and it works out a treat for me. I haven't noticed any pulsing or the like. My compressor is very old and, shall we say, characterful. I love it.

magickbk
07-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Tank or no tank is kind of meaningless for this application. What is required is a regulator and moisture trap. Many airbrush compressors have a combo unit that performs both functions. A compressor without a regulator regardless of tank or not will not deliver consistent air flow. A compressor with or without a tank will still condense moisture: the moisture is in the air, it will just happen faster with a larger compressor. Some compressors will give you all this in one package. Others, especially cheap ones, will require more add-ons. Even people using the Citadel Spray Gun should invest in an in-line moisture trap, because the Propellent Cans get cold and increase the moisture level.