PDA

View Full Version : RIP Borders

scadugenga
07-21-2011, 10:17 PM
You'll be missed.

Barnes & Noble--how I loathe thee, and the fact you're essentially the only game left in town.

wittdooley
07-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Makes me really sad. I guess I'll be buying all my books from amazon now.

DrLove42
07-22-2011, 02:45 AM
Borders hut down all its stores in England over 2 years ago.

I didn't know they still existed!

scadugenga
07-22-2011, 06:20 AM
The only potential silver lining would be if B&N were to follow suit, and we might see a resurgence of small, independently-owned bookstores in the marketplace.

It would be nice, but with Amazaon and the lack of taxation of online retailers, combined with the current economy--who knows how long it'll take for books to become something people buy with more frequency.

wittdooley
07-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Not to mention how popular digital books are.

Necron2.0
07-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Lately (as in the better part of the last decade) the only thing I've purchased in a book store is coffee. Every book I buy, I buy online (much like how I collect my 40K crack).

MaltonNecromancer
07-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I was wondering why this thread was so belated.

My mate worked at Borders UK for three years before they shut - he had access to the fiscal side of the business, and according to him, basically every poor management decision that could be made, was made.

wittdooley
07-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I worked there for nearly 2 years, and I think Borders missed out on two major opportunities:

1. They were late to the party with eReaders, and when they hopped on, theirs was inferior to both Amazon's and B&N. I think B&N will be fine because the Nook is widely regarded as Just as good, if not better than, the Kindle. Despite arriving late, had Borders gone all out and created the best eReader, I think that would have helped.

2. Their online store is still frustrating. There are a lot of problems with it. Speaking of, does anyone know if the online store will persist? In the letter I received it wasn't indicated.

Borders was one of my absolute favorite places to work, ever. They were consistently in the top 100 businesses to work for according to Forbes, and that's why it's frustrating that they are closing. IMO (and I'm biased, having worked for them and left on really great terms) Borders did all the 'right' things in store, while B&N has always left me wanting.

DarkLink
07-22-2011, 08:13 PM
:(

Sad face isn't sad enough. We need a sad-ier face. :(

scadugenga
07-22-2011, 10:50 PM
I worked for B. Dalton back in the day.

Seeing what Barnes & Noble did to B. Dalton is what makes me hate the company to this day.

That being said, I still own a Nook. ;) I blame Amazon for not being able to actually hold/inspect a Kindle prior to purchasing. (At the time.) When my Nook dies, I'll probably switch to an Ipad and just download the reader apps.

eReaders are becoming more widespread, but are by no means selling more copy than actual physical books.

But aside from that--Witt--I completely agree. Borders dropped the ball on the ebook market, and their online store does kinda suck. That being said, Borders is infinitely more welcoming than Barnes & Noble. The staff are nicer, the layout is less cramped, and it doesn't have the feel that you're in a mausoleum or a library the way Barnes & Noble does.

If only they didn't overextend themselves so much...

And yeah, Dark--a sad-ier face is definitely warranted.

Time to break out the Caol Ila and raise a glass in respect.

eldargal
07-23-2011, 01:09 AM
What I find interesting is that book sales are actually on the rise, as are e-book sales. Some market research I read a while ago said people will often buy both a printed book and an e-book, using the e-book while travelling/commuting/etc. and keeping the printed book at home.

I never bought from Borders in the UK. I buy my academic/history/classics books from the OUP store at Oxford or Heffers in cambridge, other things I buy from whatever independent store in London I happen to be near. Usually Foyles. Only things like the Mass Effect books I get from amazon.

scadugenga
07-23-2011, 08:38 AM
What you'll find, I think, is that people are buying more ebook new releases or bargain (read: almost free) books because of the inherent price drop. (A new release is typically about $12.99 in ebook format, and $28.00 (US) for a hardcover.)

However, what I've seen more and more (to my annoyance) is that the vast amount of ebooks that are neither new releases, nor bargain books are selling for the same retail amount as an actual physical paperback.

That doesn't sit right with me. Paying the same price for a data file as you do for print&paper is just wrong. Particularly since the author really doesn't see that much more in profit from an ebook sale.

eldargal
07-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Its interesting actually, in Britain atleast e-books were only 1% of last years sales and spending, though that will rise in the future. Book sales were down in 2010 well. Even in the US e-book sales were ninety million compared to hardcovers and paperbacks bringing in nearly ten billion dollars and academic books another thirty five billion, according to some figures I saw in Publishers Weekly. Sort of puts it in perspective when you see 'e-book sales triple, print is dying' headlines.:rolleyes:

I expect hardcovers to become like video game collectors editions, limited in number for hardcore fans only, with e-book sales continuing to rise. Paperbacks will remain the mainstay of books, but e-booksales will continue to increase especially in times of financial hardship.