PDA

View Full Version : Confrontation - New player trying out Acheron

Lemt
07-20-2011, 11:58 PM
So a week or so ago a bunch of friends decided they wanted to return to playing Confrontation 3.5, what with the minis coming back and everything. I liked how the Acheron minis looked, so I've set my eyes on making myself a small army. These are the minis I have in mind:

-Azaël
-Lo'Nua
-The Gorgon
-Gargoyle
-Succubus
-2 Morbid Angels
-3 Ghouls and/or Ira Tenebrae

This adds up to around 330 points, so I still have some points to play around with until I hit 400. The plan is to have my 3 mages using spells from the back lines.

-Putrescence and Fireball: These spells have a longer range than what most enemies can assault, meaning I can lay down some hurt before the enemy gets too close.
-Screaming Death: This spell can chain into several targets, helping me deal with lots of weak enemies such as goblins or undead. The primary target recieves a S9 hit, so that can help me with tougher targets too.
-Carmine Wave: Acheron can have quite a lot of weak units. Ghouls and Ira Tenebrae can explode if killed, helping to clean up the enemy or weaken them.

The flyers are there to either counter-assault or rush vital targets. The Ghouls and Ira Tenebrae will deal with anything that gets too close, or move up if the enemy wants to stay home.

wittdooley
07-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Just as a forewarning:

There's no assurance that any of these models will be rereleased. From the (relatively insider) information I have, most of the kits are going to be larger or harder to find kits, or kits that were previously unreleased. Further, they're going to release in a very slow trickle.

You can probably find what you need on eBay (though some of those models are much harder to find than others), but don't plan on the models you need/want being rereleased unless they announce it (wolfen prower, I'm looking at you!).

This is an interesting list, however. I'd be relatively nervous that you didn't have enough meat, but with your idea about the spell casting, you should be okay.

Lemt
07-21-2011, 10:23 AM
The only models I still haven't found are the Succubus and the Ira Tenebrae, but those ARE quite hard to find. Meanwhile I'll just have to add more undead, such as zombies and skeletons.
I could also play some Morbid Puppets. The Devotion of the Dead spell deals a STR10 hit on a friendly undead for 1 black gem, and gives me back 3 black gems, so I get a profit of 2 gems. And if the S10 hit kills my undead, I can use Carmine Wave to hurt any enemy in melee with it. Since Devotion of the Dead has frequency 1 and Carmine Wave has frequency 3, I can get a free explosion per round.
Also, since we want to play 400-point games, I can still fill up with either lots of weak little dudes or a few tough ones to serve as filler.

wittdooley
07-21-2011, 11:44 AM
I may be able to find you both the Succubus and Ira. Lemme check.

Lemt
07-24-2011, 05:20 PM
There's a guy selling a Succubus on eBay, but for some strange reason he won't send to Spain. :(

GentleBen
08-10-2011, 08:30 AM
There's a guy selling a Succubus on eBay, but for some strange reason he won't send to Spain. :(

Chimera hobby (http://www.chimerahobby.com/store/default.asp) should have a succubus. Its not listed on their online store, but I know they had a few in their booth at Gencon, so if you really want one, call them and ask.

I've been meaning to paint up some of my own Confrontation stuff, but I never was a big fan of their rules. I was thinking I'd try playing Warlord with Confrontation minis.

One thing I remember from when I did play was that magic always seemed incredibly underwhelming, and it was very difficult for casters to make their points back. I am very curious to see how it all goes for you.

Lemt
08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Well, in the end I changed the army around a bit.

1 Gargoyle
2 Morbid Angels
6 Skeletons total
3 Heavy Centaurs
Azael
Lo'Nua (2nd incarnation)
Janos

I picked the skeleton house, so I have a better chance of going first and stuff (although it's not as important as in 40k). I have a nice assortment of spells, and since you no longer have to pay points for the spells mages are cheaper.

I hope to play a few games this week (I have all the minis except Janos already) so I'll tell you guys how it goes.