PDA

View Full Version : Pop Culture in 40k

Grailkeeper
07-20-2011, 04:14 PM
I was reading throght the Sabbat worlds anthology when I came across this prayer: And another struck down, and another and let each be dust beneath that righteous tread which really reminded me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE- Another one bites the dust by Queen.

Off hand I can think of a couple of 40k pop culture references: Magos Wilheim Gaytes, Mad Donna and from Blood Bowl- Rezephaur Frogs.

What are your favourite 40k and warhammer pop culture moments

Dyrnwyn
07-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I recall that the Black Templars have a Holy Grenade of Anitoch or some such.

The Ciaphas Cain book are chock full of pop-culture. They're the ones with charming references such as a children's song called 'The Tracks on the Land Raider Crush the Heretics' and a great number of slightly altered quotes at the start of chapters.

I have it on good authority that there's a subtle Bubblegum Crisis reference in the 4th ed Tau codex - but I've never found it.

SierraFiveOne
07-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Sly Marbo of Imperial Guard fame is Rambo.

Astartes
07-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Courage and Honor (Ultrasmurfs v Tau) had a bunch of Iraq War references, specifically the Abu Graib incident. Instead of Islamic militants being tortured, humiliated, and photographed, it was Tau captives.

gwensdad
07-20-2011, 11:01 PM
The Cain series (featuring but not limited to "FRAK!" and "Chap with the wings, 5 rounds rapid!")
Codex Space Marine has the shoulder pad of a "Captain Ravenclaw"
The Goff clan symbol looks a lot like the Chicago Bulls
We were watching the 1984 version of Dune and thinking how Hive Worlds are the Harkonen homeworld, just for starts.

Actually, spend a few hours at tvtropes in their 40K section and you can find LOTS of references you probably never noticed before.

murrburger
07-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Don't even get started on Dune.

A galaxy-spanning empire controlled by a 'god'. With a guild of navigators, a faction that hordes technology and knowledge, religious fanatics and lasguns.

I've heard many references to Back to the Future (DeLorean, Flux capacitor) in the Cain books.

Necrons are an obvious Terminator reference (We'll be Back), the Holy Hand Grenade and Sly Marbo were already mentioned.

In one of the guard books there's a mention of a war involving a jungle war with Catachans supported by a (I think) the Elysian Air Calvary.

In the SM book there's the Doom Legion (Which look suspiciously green and silver coloured, Marvel comic fans)

That's really all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure more will come to me.

Gotthammer
07-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Cain also references All Creatures Great and Small, Dad's Army, and a couple of others.

The Blood Bowl series is far worse (Bavid Deckham anyone?)

The original Rogue Trader book has a squat wearing a t-shirt with the Batman logo on it. Same picture has Bob's Country Bunker from the Blues Brothers in the background.

fuzzbuket
07-21-2011, 04:06 AM
apart from dune/marbo/terminator/ theres no tmany modern ones, for which i am thankful if we ever ahve chapter master davidius guetter of the flow riders chapter facing daemon prince gagager of slannesh 40k would die very quickly.

Drunkencorgimaster
07-21-2011, 07:26 AM
I love the Night Lords/Heart of Darkness stuff. Conrad Kurtze (s/b?) linked to author Joseph Conrad and his antagonist "Mr. Kurtz." Heart of Darkness was remade as Apocalypse Now with Martin Sheen playing an assassin. The name of the assassin who kills Conrad Kurtze? M'Sheen.

Súil Dubh
07-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Many of the Rogue Trader Imperial Army models were named after Progressive and Space Rock bands.

http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt501imperials2.htm

From the Space Rock band Hawkwind:

Trooper Langton (Huw Lloyd-Langton)
Trooper Powell (Alan Powell)
Trooper Davey (Alan Davey)
Sergeant Lloyd (Huw Lloyd-Langton)
Lt. Calvert (Robert Calvert)
Trooper Brock (Dave Brock)
Trooper Bainbridge (Harvey Bainbridge)
Trooper Turner (Nik Turner)

From the Progressive Rock band Rush:

Trooper Lee (Geddy Lee)
Trooper Lifeson (Alex Lifeson)
Trooper Peart (Neil Peart)

From the Progressive Rock band ELP:

Trooper Lake (Greg Lake)
Trooper Emerson (Keith Emerson)
Trooper Palmer (Carl Palmer)

There may be a few more musicians in amongst the rest of the models, but I don't recognize any of the other names except for Field Officer Niven, who may be named after the SF author Larry Niven.

In an earlier batch of Imperial Army models there's also a Sgt. Hikks and a Female Trooper Vaskez, named after Corporal Dwayne Hicks and Private Jenette Vasquez from the film Aliens.

http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rto5ig96-01.html

Fellend
07-21-2011, 09:11 AM
I love the Night Lords/Heart of Darkness stuff. Conrad Kurtze (s/b?) linked to author Joseph Conrad and his antagonist "Mr. Kurtz." Heart of Darkness was remade as Apocalypse Now with Martin Sheen playing an assassin. The name of the assassin who kills Conrad Kurtze? M'Sheen.

Win for knowing this and enlighting us

miteyheroes
07-21-2011, 10:11 AM
One of the Cain books had a dictator with a brainwashing voice, who's mustache made him look like a clown...

Grailkeeper
07-21-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't think that Dune is a reference so much as a direct steal.

That talk of Bavid Deckham reminds me of the truly dire puns that used to appear in Town Crier the Mordheim magazine, particularly the obituaries. The first example that springs to mind is around the time of Katie Prices eviction from the Jungle in I'm a celebrity get me out of here was Lady Jordan who was suffocated by her twins, and Antus and Decus the annoying twerps whos last words were "get me out of here"

Anggul
07-22-2011, 04:59 AM
Don't even get started on Dune.

A galaxy-spanning empire controlled by a 'god'. With a guild of navigators, a faction that hordes technology and knowledge, religious fanatics and lasguns.

Don't forget the all-female fanatical army to go with the super-soldiers.

Drunkencorgimaster
07-22-2011, 05:52 AM
@Fellen, thanks:)

Don't forget the all-female fanatical army to go with the super-soldiers.

Good catch! I never thought about the Sisters of Battle = Bene Gesserit.

-Issac Asimov's "Foundation" series is pretty similar too. A big, decaying empire with independent (rogue) traders traveling around about.

Anggul
07-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Good catch! I never thought about the Sisters of Battle = Bene Gesserit.

Oh, I was thinking of the Fish Warriors, but them too!

The Bene Tleilax are sort of like the Eldar in many ways.

DarkLink
07-22-2011, 08:51 PM
There's also the Honored Matres in Dune. So not only did GW rip off the all female army from Dune, it stole it three times over. Or something like that.