PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Flamers in Space Hulk

TPR_Trewevas
09-04-2009, 01:01 PM
OK... it has been around 20 years since I played SH, and reading these new rules I am left with a few questions with regard to HF.

First, do HF affect Terminators (i.e. can I shoot one in a room that I am in and survive)?

Second, the book makes reference to flamer templates being removed, but there is nothing in the rules about how to extinguish one...

The issue only came up because my kid torched a bunch of stealers in front of the the objective door in the first mission and wanted to know if he could put it out or just walk through it...

Herald of Nurgle
09-04-2009, 03:40 PM
1) Does affect terminators. Infact, when I was playing that mission where you HAVE to use the Heavy Flamer to 'kill' rooms, I had absolutely no casualties for my forces. Then I chose to fire the flamer. That guy will live forever in my memories

2) Can't extinguish. It lasts until the beginning of the next Space Marine turn. If you walk through, 2+ to wound. Always. Literally stay still and there's no more damage

Gotthammer
09-04-2009, 11:06 PM
It states in the Mission Status Phase page (pg18) to remove them at the end of the turn (along with jams and overwatch). You cannot enter a burning section, but as HoN said if you survive and wish to move you will take a 'hit' each time you move in a burning square.

The Plastic Surgeon
09-05-2009, 08:46 PM
That Heavy Flamer guy should be called Death AND Glory simply for the ability to kill everything in his section including himself despite pointing it DOWN range :D

TPR_Trewevas
09-06-2009, 03:56 PM
I read the rules more closely and now I get it... but thank you for your replies... very helpful...

Gir
09-09-2009, 07:46 AM
To bad they got rid of the self destruct rule. That was always a lot of fun.

TPR_Trewevas
09-09-2009, 03:20 PM
I was thinking that as my kid beat me the 5th or 6th time... what I wouldn't give to blow this thing up right now.

Commander Dante
03-15-2010, 11:24 PM
OK... it has been around 20 years since I played SH, and reading these new rules I am left with a few questions with regard to HF.

First, do HF affect Terminators (i.e. can I shoot one in a room that I am in and survive)?

Second, the book makes reference to flamer templates being removed, but there is nothing in the rules about how to extinguish one...

The issue only came up because my kid torched a bunch of stealers in front of the the objective door in the first mission and wanted to know if he could put it out or just walk through it...

According to White Dwarf 144, a Marine would never consider firing into a room where he could kill another marine. It does not specify about the self-destruct, though I assume one would only take that option as a last resort if it would help you accomplish the mission to sacrifice other marines along with the flamer.

Here is the article from WD144:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28435244

Gotthammer
03-16-2010, 08:41 AM
You can in 3rd ed: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m500247a_FAQ_SpaceHulk_Oct2009.pdf

Commander Dante
03-16-2010, 11:40 AM
You can in 3rd ed: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m500247a_FAQ_SpaceHulk_Oct2009.pdf

Why would the Space Marines suddenly become both dishonorable, and fratricidal? The Marines are supposed to be able to be equal to many numbers of the enemy, so why would one Marine kill another for the benefit of also destroying only up to perhaps a few 'Stealers at best?

It seems like the whole spirit of the game is soiled with the 3rd ed. rule change on fratricide. Boo GW, where be thy honor?

Gotthammer
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
1st ed had self destruct, it's basically the same thing.
Also 3rd ed is 99% 1st ed rules anyway.