PDA

View Full Version : Tau Marker Lights

Mark99
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Does a unit in cover receive a cover save from Tau marker lights ? Why / why not ?

Thanks.

Tynskel
07-12-2011, 10:26 AM
no.

You only get a save from damage.

Arien
07-12-2011, 10:27 AM
The short answer is no, simply because Tau Marker Lights do not cause wounds.

Saves of any kind are taken after a wound is caused. So when a Tau Markerlight hits, it hits. Simple.

Wildeybeast
07-12-2011, 10:37 AM
As already stated, no. And don't forget that Tau marker lights can be used to negate cover saves, so don't bank on that cover saving your men

Lerra
07-13-2011, 08:21 AM
From a story perspective, a markerlight is basically a laser pointer that goes "There he is!" to the rest of the army. It doesn't matter if it's marking you on top of your armor or if it hits you on a weak spot. As long as it hits somewhere on your body, you are under its effects.

Anggul
07-13-2011, 08:51 AM
From a story perspective, a markerlight is basically a laser pointer that goes "There he is!" to the rest of the army. It doesn't matter if it's marking you on top of your armor or if it hits you on a weak spot. As long as it hits somewhere on your body, you are under its effects.

Here's hoping it isn't heavy for no reason in the next codex!

Tynskel
07-13-2011, 09:03 AM
to me, it is understandable that it is a heavy weapon.

Unlike most weapons, where you fire, there is a burst, and then the firing stops, a marker light must be continuous. Which requires that the shooter is not 'distracted' by moving ect.

wkz
07-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Here's hoping it isn't heavy for no reason in the next codex!

For an example of Marker lights in action, see the first Tranformer movie: the squishies used laser targeting on one of the Decepticons. Blackout I think.

Given that, as Tynskel said, you have to maintain a continuous beam on the target, and it is hellava hard to do that when running/advancing, the weapon IS a heavy weapon by its use rather than by its recoil.

(Note: given how Lascannons zap things in Dawn of War... namely "whine whine whine ZAP cooldown cooldown... repeat", and that it is technically a laser weapon, I would think it is in the exact same situation as the Markerlight: a weapon that is "heavy" because of its firing sequence instead of having to brace for recoil)

Anggul
07-16-2011, 03:57 AM
For an example of Marker lights in action, see the first Tranformer movie: the squishies used laser targeting on one of the Decepticons. Blackout I think.

Given that, as Tynskel said, you have to maintain a continuous beam on the target, and it is hellava hard to do that when running/advancing, the weapon IS a heavy weapon by its use rather than by its recoil.

(Note: given how Lascannons zap things in Dawn of War... namely "whine whine whine ZAP cooldown cooldown... repeat", and that it is technically a laser weapon, I would think it is in the exact same situation as the Markerlight: a weapon that is "heavy" because of its firing sequence instead of having to brace for recoil)

The first reason you gave makes sense, fair enough. Perhaps just make it so that if you roll dawn of war, you can still deploy pathfinders, that's pretty much the reason they exist, to be ahead of the main force and get ready to make it all work. As it is now if you roll dawn of war, your pathfinders are rendered as good as useless.

I'll just ignore the lascannon comparison bit. :p

Mark99
07-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Cool. Thanks.