PDA

View Full Version : Are GW's policy changing dampening enthusiasm for the game?

Necron2.0
07-12-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm speaking for myself here, but when we had "leaks" and previews, I found myself generally more interested in the game than I have been lately. Based on the level of activity around here, I'm thinking I may not be the only one. I'm also finding that I'm not spending nearly as much on the game as I used to. The constant barrage of "news" about the game meant that it wasn't ever very far from my thoughts. As a consequence, I found myself in my LGS more often, and as likely as not, I'd end up walking out of the store with something. Now ... I haven't been into my LGS in weeks. I've not visited GW's website in at least a week, and when I've gone there I haven't spent any time there at all. I've also not gone to ForgeWorld's website in awhile. I had been planning to buy some pre-Heresy armor for the Iron Hands concept army I'm putting together, but those plans have gone on hold ... again, because of a lack of enthusiasm. Right now I have no plans to buy a Void Raven when/if it comes out, whenever that may be (previously I had been).

So, the question is, has this media blackout put you into the doldrums? If so, have you noticed your habits towards the game changing because of it?

wittdooley
07-12-2011, 08:45 AM
I haven't been going to GWs website because the animation on the homepage for SoM always seems to slow me down more than it should :D.

I'm right with you though. I should be so much more jazzed about the next White Dwarf with the Sisters codex than I am. I'm not though, because I have no idea what to expect. As such, I'm not figuring it into my budget at all..... Instead, I'm buying a Raging Heroes Manticore (so much cooler than the GW one) and saving the rest of my July gaming budget for GenCon.

ForgeWorld is different for me because they do a solid job of releasing their newsletter. That helps a lot, and every time I get a new one I'm excited for it. Though, to be fair, most of the stuff I purhcase from there is used solely as a modelling/painting project as opposed to being used in everyday gaming...

eldargal
07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
A little, but its nothing new. When we go a few weeks with nothing but Forge World SM/IG releases and WarForge Chaos/Chaos Midget releases I get a bit disheartened, and if the rumours are slow as well I tent to get a bit bored and wonder around aimlessly poking my brothers with a stick or something.

At the moment though I'm extremely excited about SoM, also looking forward to seeing if they really will transofmr WD back into a hobby magazine like they claim.

Lord Azaghul
07-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Massive yes it is on this one.
Everything from the prices to the game play to the lack of info has really pushed me into other games. (gamers gotta game right?)
I’m finding all sorts of cool stuff out there and tons of different companies are now getting my dollar rather then gw (and I'm having fun!)

phoenix01
07-12-2011, 09:49 AM
I haven't bought anything at all recently. I haven't been in my local GW shop at all in two weeks (and before that it had become sporadic over the last two months as compared to the three times a week or more that it was earlier this year and before). I haven't been really even checking out the website either. In fact, I used to come here and the main BOLS site more often too. Consider that from when I started this hobby in 2008 to about two months ago, I have bought nearly 6000 points of Vanilla Marines (one and a half battle companies with enough additional elite choices to bring the total to two hundred Marine miniatures), 2000 points of Space Wolves, 1000 points of Guard, and had started a Grey Knight army. And it is not the fact that I have too much stuff either as I was planning to do at least one army from each Imperial force.

Frankly, between the price increase and the change in policy at GW, I have begun to lose interest.

HsojVvad
07-12-2011, 09:57 AM
I have been spending less on GW because of a lack of a job, no one hiring but my enthuesasim has died down a bit.

The problem is, we are not GW target audience. GW could give a flying fig if we get rumours or news or what not. We are not parents of tweens that come in spend money and then leave. That is GW target audience.

Ironically, reading the rumours, that might seem to change, with the changes of WD and what not. But time will tell. But for now, I am not really caring about what happens with GW 6th edtion could come or not, and I would really care.

Deadlift
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I voted yes.

The constant drip drip drip of info and rumours w as a guarantee I would take notice of GW products I usually would pay non attention too. I know that now with the lack of advance info their new products are now passing me by with me non the wiser. So by not getting me excited about new minis etc I am much less likely flit from one new release to another, the upshot is it's saved me a ton of money. Good for me but not so much for GW, and as the results of the poll show I am not the only one. Hell I cancelled my WD sub because of the recent lemmingitis the company seems to be suffering from.

Cherub
07-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Ive been saving for storm of magic....and then i blew the budget lol. The rules are amazing the models are kickass and Im going to get more so I can do some crazy stuff to beat down my wife's brets.

Umm is GW doing anything else game wise? To be honest all ive cared about lately is SoM.

WYSIWYG
07-12-2011, 01:02 PM
I made this account just now so i could post on this subject. My god the answer is yes, GW better do something because their losing me quickly. I am a relatively new player, only been playing for about 2 years, but do to the internet i feel like i have been playing this game for decades, hell im angry about squats and i honestly have never even seen a squat model. Back to the topic, GW is losing me quickly because of the lack of information and the changes in FaQs, at first the FaQs were making more sense but the latest one that just came out had this whopper of a question followed by a moronic response.

Q: When two special rules or effects contradict each
other how is this resolved? (p2)
A: Roll off using ‘The Most Important Rule!’.

What?
Are you serious, do they even care about this game anymore?

I have recently been playing a new game, Infinity, and i gotta say Corvus Belli actually know how to make a miniatures game and they also care about what their customers want, they have been getting my hobby money the last two months. GW needs to realize their are other fish in the sea besides them because im dangerously close to selling off my half finished Grey knights army, and getting rid of my Space Sharks army. Heck if this keeps up i might even sell off my IG, who i love so much. They need to get a grip on their rules, go play Infinity, you don't get stupid answers like the one above. I used to think gw did a pretty good job FaQing and running their system, then i started playing Infinity and realized what a bloody mess it was. They also need to get a grip on prices, 25% price hike is almost unbearable. On top of that they have the current "Finecast" miscast debacle to deal with, which has infuriated players in my area because the LGS can't even sell "Finecast", and the nearest store that does has had endless problems with quality and has considered not caring the line at all. A 25% price hike for inferior product is completely unacceptable. Lastly this drought of information has forced me to not even take GW products into account in my budget. We need the info leaks to keep us hooked, without it were in danger of moving on to other products and systems. Im a huge tourney player and this info blackout has been so bad i have lost my interest in tournies, i haven't even bothered to check the results of wargames con, I just don't care and it all stems from bad business practices on GWs part.

Basically this is how i feel....

http://static.images.memegenerator.net/Instances400/8/8573/8779578.jpg

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
07-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Absolutely,but its all things GW working in concert,rather than any one thing in particular.In the past 5 years,I've gone from trying to collect at least 1500pts of each race,to wondering if any of it is worth keeping at all.The biggest factor for me,is that 40k has been around for 20 something years & can't put together a coherent edition before starting another one.

Bigred
07-12-2011, 01:50 PM
A couple of other things to note on this one:

1) There are still about the same amount of rumors out there (you should see our inbox), there just isn't the formal announcements from GW anymore.

2) This is the summer season which is traditionally the slow time when not a whole lot is released as most folks are out and about with vacations and such. Things pick up around mid August.

Personally, I think the worst decision on GW's part was the ending of the black boxes going to retailers. If the goal is to get folks going into stores, you have to give the stores something to draw in customers. Also, the lack of ability to forecast what is coming more than 10 days out is severely hampering retailers ability to gauge interest, plan events, and keep their local communities focussed on the "next big thing".

This policy change of course isn't happening in a vacuum. You can bet that the other big companies in the industry are watching very carefully, and their marketing departments are planning on how to best use this misstep on GW's part to maximize their sales and marketshare.

Believe me when I say that no one could be more pleased with GW's latest policy change than their competetors...

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
07-12-2011, 02:00 PM
This policy change of course isn't happening in a vacuum. You can bet that the other big companies in the industry are watching very carefully, and their marketing departments are planning on how to best use this misstep on GW's part to maximize their sales and marketshare.
I couldn't agree more big red,it seem the only company not learning from GW's mistakes is GW (but not just recently,for about the last 8 years).

Deadlift
07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
The funny thing is I jog along with the hobby and I still find fun in it as a whole, at the moment I am putting together an Iron Hands army and with a little converting, a few forge world bits and the new pre heresy dread ordered I am really genuinely loving my "hobby time". Then I read all the negative comments on different forums and think am I being made a mug of by GW and I start losing enthusiasm, not so much because of my experiences but what others have to say and I sympathise with them.

So yeah I suppose I am dampened a bit by GWs policy.......but then I either pick up a brush or roll some dice and all the negativity goes away. :D

WereWolf_nr
07-12-2011, 03:35 PM
You are missing a "Yes, it caused me to defect to Privateer Press" option.

Wildeybeast
07-12-2011, 03:49 PM
For me the equation is simple.

Do I like collecting and modelling and painting GW figures? Yes
Do I like playing GW games? Yes.
Do I have people to play with? Yes
Do I have a selection of armies/gangs/warbands across a number of different formats that will give me variety of play styles? Yes
Are there armies out there I like but don't currently own, meaning I can buy a new one at anytime, without having to impatiently wait to see what the new one will be in another 6 months? Yes

So why then, would information flow (or lack thereof) make any difference to my gaming habits? I'm always builidng and tweaking a number of different armies and whilst I do get excitied about new stuff coming and carefully plan and budget, I don't need it to make the hobby interesting for me. If the main thing keeping you interested in GW games is constantly waiting for the new releases, or you get narked by a company acting in a competitive fashion, then I humbly suggest that maybe this isn't the hobby for you. No love is perfect, you will always have rough patches and they will always have stupid habits that annoy you and make bad decisions that upset you but if you can't get past these, then it's time to get out of the relationship.

Lord Azaghul
07-12-2011, 04:11 PM
. No love is perfect, you will always have rough patches and they will always have stupid habits that annoy you and make bad decisions that upset you but if you can't get past these, then it's time to get out of the relationship.

I do apperciate that you classified it as a relationship, because it is!

For me it wasn't the info stuff - it was everything else. I do agree with you, and I have broken up with GW (and it wasn't a clean break!); however I wouldn't say this isn't the hobby for me (I so enjoy painting, modeling and gaming), but I would say, my gw enthusiasm is pretty much dead - and I would also say that this isn't the company for me to continue supporting.

WYSIWYG
07-12-2011, 04:19 PM

Actually hes missing a "Yes, it caused me to defect to Privateer Press. Then after months of playing warmahordes and realizing that its the exact same thing as 40K and GW, I defected again to Infinity" option.

WereWolf_nr
07-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Actually hes missing a "Yes, it caused me to defect to Privateer Press. Then after months of playing warmahordes and realizing that its the exact same thing as 40K and GW, I defected again to Infinity" option.

lol. In a few months expect "Are PP's policies dampening your enthusiasm for the game?" polls to appear.

laestli
07-12-2011, 04:52 PM
I stopped caring about rumors when I realized there wasn't going to be a second wave of tyranid releases in anything even approximating what I consider to be an appropriate amount of time, never mind the tyranid faq. So way back when I started spending my money on casting supplies for terrain. In addition I started Cygnar and Circle Orboros forces.

More rescently I picked up a few finecast models, returned them, found some that weren't garbage, but that was mostly as a test for "Look and Feel". I won't be buying anymore. Past that I have no idea when I'll send money GW's way again, my wm/h armies get updated every year so there's no room left for GW in my budget.

Gir
07-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Q: When two special rules or effects contradict each
other how is this resolved? (p2)
A: Roll off using ‘The Most Important Rule!’.

I'm confused why this was even FAQ'd. It's quite literally in the rulebook, and has been the rule since 3rd.

wkz
07-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Buffo: Because even the guys at GW think those new young "walking wallets, zero brain" customers are putting too much into GW's FAQs?

This immediately popped into my mind when I read Gir's post.

Denzark
07-13-2011, 12:52 AM
I do apperciate that you classified it as a relationship, because it is!

For me it wasn't the info stuff - it was everything else. I do agree with you, and I have broken up with GW (and it wasn't a clean break!); however I wouldn't say this isn't the hobby for me (I so enjoy painting, modeling and gaming), but I would say, my gw enthusiasm is pretty much dead - and I would also say that this isn't the company for me to continue supporting.

The only thing I don't like about the policies recently is the vocal way those fickle flighty people who have left GW are still around crayoning over people's threads and lurking on 40K forums prior to telling us how good the grass is on the other side of the fence.

Admittedly, M'Lord Azaghul is a fairly mild example. Its reminiscent of the kid in Toy Story jumping from Woody the Cowboy to Buzz Lightyear (not Azaghul, the whole thing).

Frankly, GW fixes policies, quitters stop waaahing on 40k forums, everyones a winner. I couldn't care less about their poxy marketing strategy.

isotope99
07-13-2011, 01:09 AM
I don't think it affects my enthusiasm for the game but it does affect my interest in new releases and the likelihood of me making full price purchases from GW directly.

A couple of examples:

My counts as necrons army is back on the shelf until I get confirmation that the new codex is on the way.

My interest is sisters is pretty low as there are conflicting rumours as to whether we are getting new models with their WD release or not.

My last two purchases were from a discounted retailer when I would probably normally have ordered direct from GW.

As long as GW keeping making the best plastic model kits, I don't think any of this will break the game, but it seems to be all pain and no gain to me.

Necron2.0
07-13-2011, 01:31 AM

No. I didn't want to turn this into a general "my stick is bigger than yours" row. I want to keep this focused like a needle to the eye on exclusively what GW is doing to poop in their own pool.

2) This is the summer season which is traditionally the slow time when not a whole lot is released as most folks are out and about with vacations and such. Things pick up around mid August.

I hear you. Still, I'm wonder whatever happened to "the Summer of Fliers?" Summer ends in two weeks. Where are the fliers? If the Venom and the Stormraven were it, color me underwhelmed. Can GW not stick to their own marketing plans? Basically nothing that GW has been doing lately speaks to me of a finely tuned, well oiled machine.

eldargal
07-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Summer of Fliers didn't exist, a few people on Warseer heard about the Razorwing and the possible Voidraven thing and that othe flyers were in the works, put two and two together and got fifteen.

Unzuul the Lascivious
07-13-2011, 03:42 AM
My interest in GW is at at all time low. But not my interest in the hobby. I've been busy on my projects with Grey Knights and Daemons, scratching around for SoB rumours and getting nowhere...

Rather than an interesting, talkative and entertaining friend, GW has become one of those friends that has decided they are above you and you generally only see them when they want to show something off, like a new girlfriend or car or gadget. They never call, never invite you out - until they can't afford their car anymore or lose their girlfriend, and then they suddenly appear and want to do things with you again - but you've already made new, exciting friends and are having fun with them. You might let them tag along, but they never really get back to being your best chum like they used to be. They need to do something REALLY spectacular be the great fun friend they used to be...

End of July and WD could be the tipping point for GW...

Necron2.0
07-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Summer of Fliers didn't exist, a few people on Warseer heard about the Razorwing and the possible Voidraven thing and that othe flyers were in the works, put two and two together and got fifteen.
That is interesting, because I never go to Warseer (I won't on principle). Where I had heard of the "Summer of Fliers" was ... well, everywhere, including here and at my LGS. Because it was everywhere, I thought it must be official. I'll chalk this one up to the repeated regurgitation of unverified data suddenly being taken as gospel truth due to it choking out all contradictory evidence ... kinda like the myth of man-made global warming.

This still is something of a failing on GW's part, however. It doesn't strike me that other game producers have this issue of rumored production being preached as scheduled releases in a brick and mortar store. And it'd be something easy to counter, too, if GW weren't so tight lipped.

Unzuul the Lascivious
07-13-2011, 06:09 AM
like the myth of man-made global warming.

I am SO with you on this amigo...glad I'm not the only one...

eldargal
07-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Nope.
/skeptics fist bump

But yes, the summer of flyer thing was wrong. GW do have a bunch of flyers ready to go into production at some point or being worked on to that end, but there was never a flyer supplement intended for release this year. This year was SoM.

Gir
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM

+1

Melissia
07-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Stop the politics bull****.

On-topic: As if GW really needed that much help.

FFG does a FAR better job than GW at maintaining constant hype.

JxKxR
07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
The way the rumors would trickle out and create hype and advertising for Games Workshop at no real cost to GW seemed so perfect I thought it was all set up by some markerting genius... WRONG!!! Turns out it was just dumb luck.

eldargal
07-14-2011, 01:18 AM
Oh, the rumour leaking was deliberate, at least, it was allowed and still is. What they are cutting back on is the opportunities for early 'official' leaks, like people getting their WD three weeks early and plastering the interweb with pictures of the new releases before GW is ready (like SoM), or GW stores putting their official early preview stuff on their Facebook page (Razorwing).

Its just this change in policy coincides with a lull in rumours, thus the impression we have of lack of news.

Uncle Nutsy
07-14-2011, 06:18 PM
what strikes me as just a straight-up WTF is GW is the only games company that I know of that made the decision to release as little information as possible. every other game company that I know of goes absolutely crazy with releasing information, photos, and anything else that creates interest.

I really can't figure them out. are they stuck in the eighties or something? it makes no sense to deny information and punish those who disseminate it, especially if it helps them.

ah well. back to videogaming and other hobbies that encourage information release.

Verilance
07-14-2011, 06:58 PM
back when I first got into wargames, admittedly it was only when the cave had light and we weren't fending off wandering dinosaurs. There was no internet. We found out about games when they were released or "what a surprise" when the companies magazine showed up.

the excitement comes from playing the game and having fun! or painting and converting the miniatures and having fun.

getting leaks is interesting and all but the game/hobby is what is important here.

I remember when GW was the small fish in a big pond, gaming did not begin with them nor will it end with them

eldargal
07-14-2011, 10:25 PM
When they announced it early a lot of smaller companies would release look alike kits and compatible kits etc before they had theirs out, which is easy to do when you are a small company that doesn't make to make tens of thousands of each kit before you even start selling it. So they started restricting information so they could release their product and not have to worry about imitations for a while. No other tabletop wargaming company does this because they are not in the same position.

what strikes me as just a straight-up WTF is GW is the only games company that I know of that made the decision to release as little information as possible. every other game company that I know of goes absolutely crazy with releasing information, photos, and anything else that creates interest.

I really can't figure them out. are they stuck in the eighties or something? it makes no sense to deny information and punish those who disseminate it, especially if it helps them.

ah well. back to videogaming and other hobbies that encourage information release.

Necron2.0
07-15-2011, 09:27 AM
back when I first got into wargames, admittedly it was only when the cave had light and we weren't fending off wandering dinosaurs. There was no internet. We found out about games when they were released or "what a surprise" when the companies magazine showed up.

Mmmm ... yes and no. Sure, there wasn't the constant 24 internet access we have today, but there were more gaming magazines ("Games" comes to mind), more actual snail-mail mailing lists, "future release" updates to LGS's and the local "I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it at the Con that XYZ is due to be released soon." My experience has been that nothing has really changed in the past 20+ years. The only thing that has changed is the avenues of information.

Oh, and even 30+ years ago there was the internet, but it was called usenet then.

I remember when GW was the small fish in a big pond, gaming did not begin with them nor will it end with them

Amen. Nobody needs to be reminded of that more than GW themselves.

When they announced it early a lot of smaller companies would release look alike kits and compatible kits etc before they had theirs out, which is easy to do when you are a small company that doesn't make to make tens of thousands of each kit before you even start selling it. So they started restricting information so they could release their product and not have to worry about imitations for a while. No other tabletop wargaming company does this because they are not in the same position.

This isn't anything new, though. There have always been copy-cats and look-alikes in the figurine industry. Other industries get around this by providing better quality than the knock-offs. What this really says is GW's products aren't all that special. If they were both unique and reasonably priced, people would wait for them, just as they do in other genres.

wittdooley
07-15-2011, 11:23 AM

I think it's cute we're referring to wargaming as a big pond :)

wittdooley
07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
This isn't anything new, though. There have always been copy-cats and look-alikes in the figurine industry. Other industries get around this by providing better quality than the knock-offs. What this really says is GW's products aren't all that special. If they were both unique and reasonably priced, people would wait for them, just as they do in other genres.

I might misunderstand what you're saying here, but isn't that a bit contradictory? People don't wait because the knock off stuff isn't of the same quality as GW and GW products are, in effect, a bit more special. I'd love for more companies to produce 40k minis that were the same quality as GW on a consistent basis. It would really help drive competition in the market and will either A) force GW to make Better products (win!) or B) force GW to become more competitively priced (double win!). I'm hoping Avatars of War, with their plastic Berzerkers, can start this trend.

magickbk
07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
I didn't vote. I think it's easy to look at the current state of things and make a claim of the End Times, but...

I've been around this hobby a long time. I remember walking into my local hobby shop every week and asking whether there was any news of a Blood Angels codex or Commander Dante model that I heard a rumor about, and wondering why the Eldar were getting so many new characters when no one in town played them...

I remember a lull in interest and the imbalance of Codexes as 3rd edition approached, and as 3rd edition waned towards 4th.

Through the years, many different employees have risen to prominence within GW and sent the company in a new direction. Some of them are responsible for making White Dwarf great, launching Black Library and fun Specialist Games, re-balancing the games, releasing incredible models, creating amazing Games Day events, building a fair and equitable tournament system, and exciting summer campaigns. Others have driven the substance off the pages of White Dwarf, killed the Specialist Games off, faltered on the quality and quantity of army and model releases, turned Games Day into a giant Forge World store line, cancelled the rest of the Games Days and tournaments, and shoehorned us into stale and unsustainable summer events.

At the core, our love of the hobby and our armies is what wins overall. I think my current lack of involvement has more to do with getting married, buying a house, and having a child in less than 1 year than it has to do with the policy changes that whoever in charge at GW is pushing out there. And when my interest starts to grow again with my hobby time, my forces will be waiting for me to lead them forward against their enemies once more.

I think of the GW hobby as being like an old friend that you've known for many years. Sometimes you spend all your free time together, staying up late and playing games. Then one of you moves away for a few years for school, or a job. When you meet again later your friendship is different, perhaps stronger, or you become friends in a different way with spouses or children or whatever. If you get pissed off and lose touch with that person forever, then chances are it wasn't a very strong friendship to begin with.

juliusb
07-18-2011, 04:07 PM
This is totally killing a large part of the hobby for me. I love to collect and build and play (sometimes paint) but as for when I'm hangin' out with the wife on a weeknight while she watches "Jersey Bachelor Makeover Star" I like to read the rumor threads and dream up possible new armies.

Most companies would kill for so much free 'mind-share' but GW wants to sell their catalog White Dwarf and I don't think this will help. If they wanted to sell White Dwarf they would have to include actual articles instead of canned advertisements:

"Retrospect: why the Tyranid codex was a mistake"

- How much goodwill would it generate if you let the author explain his design choices honestly; "I wanted to create a book where the player would have to use synergies between the units to be effective. It's clear I missed the power-curve mark but here are some interesting combos I intended..."

How many GW haters would think "oh, they admit they missed the mark and it's nice to see they learned a lesson, cool."

juliusb
07-18-2011, 04:12 PM
It's funny because I've talked to many Black Shirts and district managers and the most consistent thing I hear about the business from them is that they're in a "niche market". Their marketing people need to heed that concept. When you are in a niche market you don't have normal customers; they 'own' the hobby and they consider themselves 'insiders' and I'm sure GW hates that.

However, it's pointless to fight against it; it's pointless to lament the annoyance it causes; it's pointless to market your products as toys. We all know model sales are considered when writing rules; we know Finecast was all about metal prices; we all know Codex Creep is real; if they'd just admit it and go from there, it'd be magic for their PR.

GW needs to get their act straight and understand their market. They need to understand that they're not a mainstream hobby and they never will be. They need to focus not on bringing everyone into the hobby, they need to focus on being the coolest company on the block with their core market. We'll take care of getting new people into the game.

A niche market has a much more symbiotic relationship between the seller and the consumer. It's not just a money and product exchange. It's an identity and a lifestyle for better or for worse. Embrace it and give us our rumors and candid discussions about the business and you'll be the coolest kid on the block again.

laestli
07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
This is totally killing a large part of the hobby for me. I love to collect and build and play (sometimes paint) but as for when I'm hangin' out with the wife on a weeknight while she watches "Jersey Bachelor Makeover Star" I like to read the rumor threads and dream up possible new armies.

Most companies would kill for so much free 'mind-share' but GW wants to sell their catalog White Dwarf and I don't think this will help. If they wanted to sell White Dwarf they would have to include actual articles instead of canned advertisements:

"Retrospect: why the Tyranid codex was a mistake"

- How much goodwill would it generate if you let the author explain his design choices honestly; "I wanted to create a book where the player would have to use synergies between the units to be effective. It's clear I missed the power-curve mark but here are some interesting combos I intended..."

How many GW haters would think "oh, they admit they missed the mark and it's nice to see they learned a lesson, cool."

They'd have to actually do something about it. Which they are more then capable of doing, but actively choose not to. Even then they'd also have to explain why it took so long.

Honestly though, the tyranid faq is pretty damning proof they're confident they've done nothing wrong they haven't fixed.

silashand
07-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes. The combination of prices, finecast, and news clampdown have severely dampened my enthusiasm for anything GW. I still like their models, but I have not bought any since the first finecast rumours and I see nothing on the horizon that will make me change that stance. I still like the background and the environment, but I cannot afford GW's version of this hobby anymore. And no matter what they say to the contrary, their models are not good enough to give me the value for money I expect out of them. JMO though...

Cheers, Gary

Lord Azaghul
07-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Yes. The combination of prices, finecast, and news clampdown have severely dampened my enthusiasm for anything GW. I still like their models, but I have not bought any since the first finecast rumours and I see nothing on the horizon that will make me change that stance. I still like the background and the environment, but I cannot afford GW's version of this hobby anymore. And no matter what they say to the contrary, their models are not good enough to give me the value for money I expect out of them. JMO though...

Cheers, Gary

WOW. Considering what I know of your gaming career and back ground this is a potent statement.
...And I agree 100%