PDA

View Full Version : Dystopian Wars or Firestorm Armada?

ducki3x
07-11-2011, 07:48 PM
My FLGS is getting in a shipment of Spartan Games stuff soon, and I was thinking about picking up the rules for either Dystopian Wars or Firestorm Armada. They're expecting to sell out pretty quick, so I might just have to put a reserve on one sight-unseen.

Anyone have a strong opinion as to which is the better system and/or funner to get started with? I think the minis are gorgeous for both, so that's no help in making the decision for me...thanks!

Lord Azaghul
07-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Never played Firestorm, but my vote is for Dystopian wars (and go Prussains!).

I have a friend that swears that the fantasy game spartan produces is the best (but again, never played it)

Dystopain Wars is a 'alternate reality' steam punky themed (mostly) naval battle game. The have just released the 'land expansions as well.
I find the Modeles are very well detailed, and easy to paint if you know how to wash and dry brush.
And game play is pretty smooth. All 3 games by spartan are very reasonably priced. And the starters sets for DW are more then enough to play a full game, so its pretty easy to convince others to grab a box and get playing. All rules are included in the main rule books so there is no need to buy army or faction books.

wittdooley
07-12-2011, 08:51 AM
I think you really just need to decide which aesthetic you like the best. All three games share similiar systems, with Dystopian Wars being (IMO) the most fluid, but also probably the most complex. Uncharted Seas is super easy to play, and Firestorm Armada adds to that, if only a bit.

They're all really great, with really nice models. Check out the new Antarctica Covenenat on TTGN. Really cool looking stuff, in addition to the Prussian robot. Sweet!

scadugenga
07-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I haven't played US or FSA, but DW is a lot of fun.

Don't let the....quirky...layout of the rulebook get you discouraged--there's a lot of fun in DW.

I've played tons of space combat games, and they all tend to have similar memes, so if you like that milieu, you'll probably enjoy FSA.

But DW--sheer cool steampunk fun.

ducki3x
07-12-2011, 09:03 PM
I think I'll probably go for Dystopian Wars - the fact that there is both land & naval combat tipped it for me (plus, the minis are really looking awesome)...thanks to all of you for the feedback!