PDA

View Full Version : Tank Shocked units max move?

JMichael
07-10-2011, 12:31 PM
When a unit is tank shocked (p68) and a unit would end up underneath the vehicle, that unit is moved the shortest path maintaining Unit Coherency so that it is not within 1" of enemy units or vehicles.

So, with multiple vehicles and certain situations it seems you could force a unit to move a far greater distance than just 6". Is this correct?
What happens if the unit cannot be placed so that it is not within 1" of an enemy unit or vehicle (say due to terrain, layout, or table edge)?

SotonShades
07-10-2011, 04:21 PM
if it's a table edge, they leave the battle and count as destroyed, same as falling back. Otherwise I guess the Trapped! rule would come in to effect. Unfortunately my rulebook is burried in a box that is burried in boxes (damn house moving...) so i can't give a reference page number, though I'm sure someone could find it for me.

As for the multiple moves going over 6"; yep, they just keep on running to get out the way. Though to be honest, to get more than 6" you would pobably need a very specific placement of your vehicles to start with, and precise movement to new positions. I wouldn't be surprised if you got maybe 2 or 3 tank shocks off, but if your opponant let you get more than that they probably aren't really thinking about what they are doing.

DarkLink
07-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Right, it only specifies "shortest possible distance", which very well could be more than 6".

Mike X
07-10-2011, 04:59 PM
So, with multiple vehicles and certain situations it seems you could force a unit to move a far greater distance than just 6". Is this correct?
What happens if the unit cannot be placed so that it is not within 1" of an enemy unit or vehicle (say due to terrain, layout, or table edge)?

I've heard of this happening. It's not easy to pull off, and the unit you're "chasing" should really be worth the effort, but you can actually force units off the table edge by consecutively tank shocking them with multiple vehicles in a single turn.

Morgan Darkstar
07-10-2011, 05:19 PM
I dont think it's possible to tank shock a unit off a table edge, unless it failed it's moral test it would just move to a point the minimum distance away where it is maintaining Unit Coherency and is not within 1" of enemy units or vehicles.

the trapped rule doesn't come into play unless the unit is falling back.

so i believe to follow the rule

if a unit is tank shocked and passes its moral test it must move the minimum distance so it maintains Unit Coherency and so it is not within 1" of enemy units or vehicles. even if this means moving (teleporting) through impassible terrain and enemy units if need be. as it cannot be forced off the board unless they are falling back.

Morgan Darkstar
07-10-2011, 05:25 PM
as a side note

only found this out the other day "during a tank shock if you pass your moral test and chose death or glory
ONLY models in the path of the vehicle may attempt death or glory"

so with careful aiming you can avoid those nasty meltaguns and powerfists.

wkz
07-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I dont think it's possible to tank shock a unit off a table edge, unless it failed it's moral test it would just move to a point the minimum distance away where it is maintaining Unit Coherency and is not within 1" of enemy units or vehicles.... (etc) IMO, I think this is correct.

Think of it this way: if this side of the tank is "illegal" because it is the table edge... the shortest legal position would be on the OTHER side of the tank now, wouldn't it?

Also note that if the unit failed its morale test it would be falling back, all falling back units automatically fail morale tests. Any (more) tankshocks on that retreating unit will trigger more running towards the table edge. (check the Morale section of the BRB to know more)

Nabterayl
07-10-2011, 08:17 PM
IMO, I think this is correct.

Think of it this way: if this side of the tank is "illegal" because it is the table edge... the shortest legal position would be on the OTHER side of the tank now, wouldn't it?

Also note that if the unit failed its morale test it would be falling back, all falling back units automatically fail morale tests. Any (more) tankshocks on that retreating unit will trigger more running towards the table edge. (check the Morale section of the BRB to know more)
I also concur with Morgan Darkstar's reasoning.

Tynskel
07-11-2011, 02:54 AM
Theoretically, you could 'blink' a unit across the board. It is very nearly impossible to destroy a unit that passed its morale check from tank shock.

Bigthunda
07-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Yep definitely can make them move more than 6, as far as they need to go to get 1" away from the vehicle methinks

Duo Sonata
07-11-2011, 05:37 AM
Just thought I'd point out this is in the BRB FAQ

"Q: Can models moving out of the way of a tank shock
after passing their Morale test be forced to move off of
the board if that is the shortest distance to get out
from underneath the vehicle? (p68)
A: No, they must move the shortest distance that also
keeps them on the board."