PDA

View Full Version : 2 Player Starter Box

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
07-09-2011, 06:10 AM
I'm looking to get into Warmachine & the 2 Player Starter Box looks to good to pass up.I have some friends who aren't gamers,but like to occasionally play a game of something as well as a usual gaming group thats doing other projects right now but plan to get involved down the road.I had a few questions about the boxes contents .
1)What are the point values of the armies ?
2)What would be your 1st purchases to strengthen each army ?
3)Are the token sets worth buying?

faolan
07-09-2011, 07:13 AM
#1: 20 points.
#2: Widowmakers for Khador, dunno about the nutjobs.
#3: Matter of opinion - they're nice but I don't own any.

the_puritan
07-09-2011, 07:46 AM
The Menoth side certainly could use a min Chior and Vassal of Menoth.
...but everybody saw that coming, right?

Beyond that, I say Avatar because who doesnt love a jack that provides its own focus?

scadugenga
07-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Definitely widowmakers for Khador. The widomaker solo is good, as are the battle mechanics w/new unit attachment that lets you repair shocktroopers!

For Menoth? Not really my chosen army, so aside from Choir, I'll pass that on to any of the PoM players out there to field.

As for token sets...eh, take 'em or leave 'em.

tonyzahn
07-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Beyond that, I say Avatar because who doesn't love a jack that provides its own focus?
Warcasters with Battlegroup-only buffs?

the_puritan
07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Too true... Karchev hates the Avatar.
;-)

Silver Drakes Legion
07-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I'd say choir then the covenant then vassal. Once you get used to playing you'll not be using cinerators much if at all. So Errants with UA or Temple Flameguard with UA will both be good units to buy. For Jacks, the Reckoner and the Avatar will be what you will want next.

Khador wants for jacks The Behemoth because it's scary awesome. Beast 09 is also an awesome jack.
A dog and Manhunters are good additions to many lists.

Token sets make things a lot easier to manage and for each side to see what the other is doing with focus and spells.

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
07-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks silver,For Menoth I'm planning on the Choir,Covenant, & Vassal.If my math is right the Choir & either of the other 2 come to 5pts.It will give whoever is playing Menoth @ the time an option of how they want to spend their last 2pts(in a 25pt game & @ 5pts can probably work them into any list they want).
For Khador,I'm thinking Widow Makers,War Dog, & Mechanics.
After that I'll probably pick up a Behemoth & an Avatar.At that point,I should have a little over 35 of each & people can mix & match however they want to build a list or make a purchase or 2 & combine them with my inventory to make a new list.
I only have the 2009 MK 2 preview rules printout to reference & can't find anything about the cinerators,found a picture of them online & the models look sweet.They all looked to be armed with swords & heavy armor,are they just a hand 2 hand unit or is there more to them.

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=scadugenga;148696]Definitely widowmakers for Khador. The widomaker solo is good, as are the battle mechanics w/new unit attachment that lets you repair shocktroopers
battle mechanics w/new unit attachment. 2 questions what is their pt cost?Does adding the attachment that allows you to repair shocktroopers effect their ability to repair jacks?

scadugenga
07-14-2011, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=scadugenga;148696]Definitely widowmakers for Khador. The widomaker solo is good, as are the battle mechanics w/new unit attachment that lets you repair shocktroopers
battle mechanics w/new unit attachment. 2 questions what is their pt cost?Does adding the attachment that allows you to repair shocktroopers effect their ability to repair jacks?

The mechanics I believe (don't have the book handy) are 2 pts.

The updgrade officer (who is himself in man-o-war armor) is also 2 points, and he adds the ability for the entire mechanic group to repair man-o-war armor as well as warjacks.