PDA

View Full Version : Codex: Chaos Space Marines hint?

Unzuul the Lascivious
07-04-2011, 06:30 AM
In the Experimental Rules section of the new Contemptor pattern Dreadnought from Forgeworld, I found this passage: -

A Space Marine Contemptor Dreadnought is an Elites Choice in
a Codex Space Marine, Codex Dark Angels, Codex Space Wolves,
Codex Blood Angels or Codex Black Templars army. Until a
specific variant of this unit is featured in a forthcoming book, the
Contemptor as listed here may also be used in a Codex Chaos Space
Marines army.

To me, the last sentence is a hint that Chaos Space Marines might not be far off. What do you guys n gals reckon?

eldargal
07-04-2011, 06:46 AM
I think it more likely it is referring to a future Forge World book, rumour has it Chaos Marines will be featuring in IA12 or 13.

Melissia
07-04-2011, 07:56 AM
As part of their droll Horus Heresy series.

Wildeybeast
07-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's referring to IA books. The Contemptor is pre-heresy, so only the original traitor legions will have access to it. I imagine that an IA book wil restrict it to only certain types of Chaos marines e.g. Death Guard but not Red Corsairs. There's not been any other chatter of a Chaos codex so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Bigthunda
07-04-2011, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't assume soon, but I found the entry promising for the future as well...my hope is next year!!

HsojVvad
07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Well it does follow the rumoured 6th edtion rules with a new Chaos codex of some sorts, so it does look promising.

wittdooley
07-04-2011, 06:29 PM
As part of their droll Horus Heresy series.

Why do you even post. You clearly hate this hobby. I don't get it.

Melissia
07-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Why do you even post. You clearly hate this hobby. I don't get it.Horus Heresy does not equate to the entire hobby. All Horus heresy is is an excuse to have marines fighting marines over marines while marines talk iwth marines about marines being loyal to marines while other marines are betraying marines. I like the aesthetics of Marine models sure, but the fluff bores me.

Marines are a minor and relatively unimportant speck of 40k lore, and if the only posts of mine you listen to is my opinion about Marines in general and the Horus Heresy in specific you might get that impression, but then, you'd only be reading a very small portion to begin with, like if you read twilight and then claimed all vampire fiction is arse.

No, sir, I like Warhammer 40,000. Horus Heresy is ten thousand years off, and about that many points below zero on the 100 point scale of "does this interest me".

[/rant]

Brass Scorpion
07-04-2011, 10:02 PM
To paraphrase Laugh-In, "Here come the spam, here come the spam..." Isn't this topic about Chaos Marines?

As a Chaos collector for more than 2 decades, I would like to think we have a more colorful, characterful Codex Chaos Marines coming soon, but I'm not sure I would take one little line on the Forge World website as something to start jumping up and down about. However, it does make it tempting to buy one of these new Contemptors and use the FW rules for it in a Chaos Marine army.

Also, the Contemptor has highly articulated limbs, making for some real action pose possibilities. That alone makes it a tempting kit, you can really pose the arms, fingers and legs in dynamic ways without converting. And it looks cool!

Melissia
07-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Indeed, it looks nice, as I've posted in a few of the many thousnads of threads on the topic, but since the topic was about whether or not the model indicated a C:CSM codex, the answer was no, the model was part of their horus heresy malarkey :P

daboarder
07-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Horus Heresy does not equate to the entire hobby. All Horus heresy is is an excuse to have marines fighting marines over marines while marines talk iwth marines about marines being loyal to marines while other marines are betraying marines. I like the aesthetics of Marine models sure, but the fluff bores me.

Marines are a minor and relatively unimportant speck of 40k lore, and if the only posts of mine you listen to is my opinion about Marines in general and the Horus Heresy in specific you might get that impression, but then, you'd only be reading a very small portion to begin with, like if you read twilight and then claimed all vampire fiction is arse.

No, sir, I like Warhammer 40,000. Horus Heresy is ten thousand years off, and about that many points below zero on the 100 point scale of "does this interest me".

[/rant]

I've never EVER seen you even ONCE post anything positive on the forums with out having a ***** in the same post, WE don't want to hear your droll BS you may not like marines and that's fair enough but some of us do so don't troll and be a good little girl instead of acting like a spoiled little B*TCH.

Lockark
07-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I've never EVER seen you even ONCE post anything positive on the forums with out having a ***** in the same post, WE don't want to hear your droll BS you may not like marines and that's fair enough but some of us do so don't troll and be a good little girl instead of acting like a spoiled little B*TCH.

lol, wut?

You don't have to be the biggest fan of Melissia, But look at what you posted in response to her post.

Your reaction to her post is on par with most of her reactions to any post about Sisters of Battle she disagrees with. By making a post like that you have other intentional or unintentional started provoking a flame war.

=/

The Irony of this of course is the fact you accuse Melissia for doing the exact same thing that you just did. Abit of perspective....

I greatly disagree with Melissia's views on the Horus Hersey, but thier's no reason to attack her like that.

Personally I like the Hours Hersey because it's the most Major single event that effected almost every major player in the universe in some way, and is the reason for the formation and structure of all the current Imperial armies as they are now in some way.

daboarder
07-04-2011, 10:26 PM
perhaps I am slightly over reacting but I'm tired of various people who never ever ever post anything nice....I know this hobby can get frustrating and I've had quite aa few rants myself but somethings are just constant

Lockark
07-04-2011, 10:35 PM
perhaps I am slightly over reacting but I'm tired of various people who never ever ever post anything nice....I know this hobby can get frustrating and I've had quite aa few rants myself but somethings are just constant

Then I would suggest not reading or responding to her posts if you legitimately feel that way. It's not that big a deal.

The only reason I ever Read Melissia's posts any more, is if wittdooley posted in the same topic. I'm waiting for the day they finally just break down and make-out already!

XP

Melissia
07-04-2011, 10:50 PM
How dare I have negative opinions on some aspects of the hobby! That's something only daboarder (ceaseless whining about the Tyranid codex) and wittdooley (countless condescending insults and flame-baits-- and no, not just directed towards me) are allowed to have. And no, my various, numerous, and consistent comments saying that codices don't suck and aren't overpowered don't count as positive comments! I need to grovel more before the throne of some screaming old bald dude and his nine hundred and ninety nine screaming old bald friends!

Even if I wanted to though, they're too busy implanting their seed within ritually selected drugged up adolescents.

I think it would be best if you simply got back on topic, like my previous post did :P

eldargal
07-04-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm with Mel on this one actually, Marines look pretty but they get dull fast when all you see is Marines. I get that there is a demand for them, GW meets that demand and thus the eternal circle of Marine focus is complete etc. but it is still dull. In my opinion.

As to the Horus Heresy, FW aren't supposed to be allowed to do the HH, but there have been rumours for a long time of a M vs CSM book coming soon. It would be lovely to think they expand it beyond superhumans fighting other, less polite superhumans, like Eldar manipulation, Dark Eldar taking advantage, Chaos cults springing up and even Tau getting involved etc. But they probably won't, too many Marine players will have a hissy fit about xenos getting in their marine book.:rolleyes:

daboarder
07-05-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm with Mel on this one actually, Marines look pretty but they get dull fast when all you see is Marines. I get that there is a demand for them, GW meets that demand and thus the eternal circle of Marine focus is complete etc. but it is still dull. In my opinion.

As to the Horus Heresy, FW aren't supposed to be allowed to do the HH, but there have been rumours for a long time of a M vs CSM book coming soon. It would be lovely to think they expand it beyond superhumans fighting other, less polite superhumans, like Eldar manipulation, Dark Eldar taking advantage, Chaos cults springing up and even Tau getting involved etc. But they probably won't, too many Marine players will have a hissy fit about xenos getting in their marine book.:rolleyes:

I'd be suprised at another marine VS marine book so quickly after the badab war...perhaps FW is doing a badab war 3 type book? full out red corsairs vs the Imperium maybe. personally I'd like to see FW do somenecron stuff or sisters, but given their imminent releases thats unlikely I guess.

Lockark
07-05-2011, 12:50 AM

Ugh. As a chaos fan I could care less if it's Chaos Mariens or even more Traitor Guard stuff. I just want to see a Imperial Armour book that looks at Slaanesh and Tzeetch. I'm tired of seeing nothing but Nurgle and Khorne love from both GW and forgeworld in both 40k and fantasy.

=/

Could you imagine a Imperal Armour book that was Slaanesh Followers Vs. Craftworld Eldar? Now that would be a good grudge match!

BrokenWing
07-05-2011, 12:57 AM
I would love to see Slaanesh get some love (wait...maybe not) but we are talking about the people who can't even make the mark of slaanesh worth taking in Fantasy.

Lockark
07-05-2011, 01:23 AM
I would love to see Slaanesh get some love (wait...maybe not) but we are talking about the people who can't even make the mark of slaanesh worth taking in Fantasy.

Ugh...... Don't Remind me.....

>___>

eldargal
07-05-2011, 01:56 AM
Edit: Weird double post edit error.

eldargal
07-05-2011, 01:59 AM
I agree on that, need more variety. IA11 is a nice step in that direction but FW really need to put a moratorium on dreadnought, land raider, Ork and Guard kits for a year or so in my opinion. Enough is enough.:rolleyes: This is the problem I have with the contemptor actually, a lovely model, but it is yet another dreadnought. This makes eleven dreadnought kits from FW alone.

Ugh. As a chaos fan I could care less if it's Chaos Mariens or even more Traitor Guard stuff. I just want to see a Imperial Armour book that looks at Slaanesh and Tzeetch. I'm tired of seeing nothing but Nurgle and Khorne love from both GW and forgeworld in both 40k and fantasy.

=/

Could you imagine a Imperal Armour book that was Slaanesh Followers Vs. Craftworld Eldar? Now that would be a good grudge match!

Unzuul the Lascivious
07-05-2011, 03:22 AM
*Looks back on the thread so far*

And you say Chaos isn't coming... :D

It's likely true in regards IA with Chaos Marines popping up. I LOVE the idea of Slaanesh Vs Eldar IA, that would be all kinds of awesome - having a Chaos Daemons Vs anything would also be brilliant.

Still, I'm just glad to have spotted something worth a quick natter really :)

wittdooley
07-05-2011, 07:11 AM
@ Melissia - Here's the deal: You're just so damned negative all the time it that is obscures all the positive posts you do make and ocassionally gets to me. That was one of those times. For that, I apologize. Alpha personalities, coupled with the anonymity of the internet, make for silly shouting matches.

As for Chaos, IA, and the future of it all:

IA--I'd for one love to see an IA that didn't have an Imperial side. However, we've gotta realize that, if they do that, one of the forces will almost certainly be Chaos Marines or Traitor Guard. Those kits are the FW bread and butter. Every IA book thusfar has featured one of them. I have trouble thinking they're going to sway from that tried and true method.

Chaos--I'm a giant weenie and, for the most part, always play the good guy in everything from Video Games to tiny toy soldiers. However, if the released a high quality Chaos Legions Codex, or even gave us four different books (devoted to the four powers), I'd almost certainly pick up a small Thousand Sons contingent. I love their fluff oh so much, and that book would get me off the Emperor's nutsack, if only for a while.

Craftworlds--I'd be really interested in seeing this if they did a Codex:Craftworlds for Eldar. Quite frankly, I don't know much about them, so I'd be intrigued to read more.

HsojVvad
07-05-2011, 09:00 AM
I have to agree with Mellissa on this one. So far reading the HH, it is BAD, very BAD. Myabe I find it BAD is because it was so hyped up as being good, I can't get passed page 100 right now. So far it's not as good as people are claiming it to be. So now someone says something agaisnt it, people have to attack her now? Can't people have different opnions?

The funny thing I find about is people are attacking Mellissa, instead of actaully talking about Chaos. It finally seems (well rumoured) that GW is making the focus off SM and putting it into Choas. So it seems more people are actually more interested in Mellissa than GW. Now that is SAD attacking a fellow member instead of talking about the hobby.

Funny how people slag on Dakka Dakka but they seem more civil there than here. I don't see people attacking her personally as they do here. Pretty sad for BolS.

wittdooley
07-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I have to agree with Mellissa on this one. So far reading the HH, it is BAD, very BAD. Myabe I find it BAD is because it was so hyped up as being good, I can't get passed page 100 right now. So far it's not as good as people are claiming it to be. So now someone says something agaisnt it, people have to attack her now? Can't people have different opnions?

What book are you reading?

And FWIW, you have no ground to stand on saying the HH Series is "very bad" if you've only read 100 pages of one book. I think this is a byproduct of our "have it now" society, but most good books build a narrative.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TNdswrqab3g/TNKDOBkOEVI/AAAAAAAAACI/Tt-wEbM_2z0/s320/images.jpg

As you'll notice, the exposition BUILDs the narrative up to a climax. It's done purposefully. Books shouldn't be 30-second studs.

Melissia
07-05-2011, 10:31 AM
If a book bores someone to the point where they simply cannot continue reading it even after getting through a sizable chunk of the book (one hundred pages is hardly a small amount for the average BL novel), where getting through each page is a mental struggle due to complete and utter lack of interest, how the F*** can you claim that this is a good book for that person?

"Oh it'll get better" is a pathetic excuse many novel and game fans provide for the really bad openings for their favorite novels/games... and my response is: so what if it MIGHT get better, MAYBE? It still sucks RIGHT NOW, why force oneself to be bored hoping that it might get better when you only have the assurances of rabid fans who are going to like it no matter what anyway?

Some people can't get past the first scenes of Lord of the Rings regarding Bilbo's going away party. Well, I suppose that means LotR just isn't the right type of book for them. That's okay. Everyone's tastes are different.

Deadlift
07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
The thing with the HH books imo is because they are being written by a collective of authors, not everyone is going to be able to enjoy all the books. The difference in writing styles has varied greatly across the series. I have read them all, some I will never read again and some I have read more than once. But for anyone struggling with getting to grips with these books one thing worth mentioning is that most of the books are readable on their own. You could read for example "the flight of the eisenstein" without reading any other HH book and still be able to follow it's story completely. I personally really enjoyed the Thousand Sons and the Flight of the Eisenstein, I didn't enjoy Fulgrim or Alpha legion at all :)

As for more chaos marine stuff, well why not and I would love to see more FW chaos space marine conversions other than the death guard and world eaters they have now.

wittdooley
07-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Some people can't get past the first scenes of Lord of the Rings regarding Bilbo's going away party. Well, I suppose that means LotR just isn't the right type of book for them. That's okay. Everyone's tastes are different.

Right. But why is this okay for Tolkien but not for the HH novels. Now, I'm not saying that the HH books are as good as Fellowship or whatever, but you can't have it one way for the HH books and then another way for the LotR books.

Having a slow beginning narrative doesn't make a book bad. The first 130-150 pages of both A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns are slow, but they are both very, very good books. For a 400-500 page novel, the first 100 pages lies squarely in the exposition/builing narrative portion of a story, just beginning the rising action. The same can be said for most good, lengthy books. I've never understood the "slow = bad" point of view.

I never said it was a good book for him, merely that they are good books.

Wildeybeast
07-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I never said it was a good book for him, merely that they are good books.

I'm curious as to what objective book-measuring standard you have used to come up with this judgement that they are "good books" ;)

Lockark
07-05-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm curious as to what objective book-measuring standard you have used to come up with this judgement that they are "good books" ;)

I think it's best not to get involved in their "Lover's Quarrel", other wise we are going to be talking about HH books for the next 11 pages.
;)

BrokenWing
07-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Chaos was strong!

I mean is strong.....yeah..that's what I mean with the current codex.

There, now we can talk about something other than the horus heresy books?

wittdooley
07-05-2011, 12:55 PM

I thought about this when I posted it, and you're right, there is no certifiable standard of objectivity for reviews. With that being said, I think you have to base that on overwhelmingly positive reviews. Movies have the Rotten Tomatoes and the "Freshmeter;" we don't have anything for literature.

I enjoyed Hangover 2 because I liked Hangover 1. Critics on Rotten Tomatoes lambasted it for, essentially, being a cut-and-paste of the first. I knew that going in, and was okay with it. It's not a great movie by any stretch, but I was able to turn my brain off for a bit. Take a movie like The King's Speech as a contrast. Universally praised, I agree that the movie is really, really well made. I don't know that I'll ever watch it again, but will probably watch Hangover 2 again because it caters more to my tastes.

It's sort of like the famous quote by Potter Stewart on Pornography: "I know it when I see it."

With anything that is subjective, to determine whether or not it is "good" I suppose you have to look at it and ask, "what do the majority of reasonble people think?"

From my experience, that "reasonable majority" tends to agree that the Horus Heresy books (aside from Battle for the Abyss) are "good."

To say they are not to your tastes is fine; to quantifyably state they are "bad" after you're read 100 pages doesn't follow for me.

Melissia
07-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Right. But why is this okay for Tolkien but not for the HH novels. [snip]
The "goodness" of books is subjective. I have a brother in law that finds ALL fantasy genre books to be boring. It doesn't interest him. To him they're all dull. I disagree with his tastes, but that's his prerogative. Me, I love fantasy. I don't find a single part of LotR to be slow. But you cannot get me to read the Horus Heresy. On a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being "OMFG I MUST READ THIS (IE Ciaphas Cain)" and 1 being "meh, I don't care, I'm gonna go read Battletech novels instead (IE Twilight)", they score less than zero. I don't even begin to care about any of the characters in the books. Or the setting. Or the conflicts. It just bores me to sleep. They're horrible books to me, for a horrible setting. Keep the Horus Heresy as a distant vague and almost mythological past event that created the Imperium as it is-- it works better that way.

Lerra
07-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Worse than Twilight?

My roommates had a contest to see who could read the most of the Twilight series before our brains melted and we gave up. The winner made it halfway through Book 1. I made it to chapter 3.

While reading, I alternated between rage and depression. It was so terribly written it made me want to strangle the editors and lament for the kind of society that creates people who want to read this crap. Not to mention the strong misogynist and misandrist undertones that are a personal pet peeve.

I can't imagine the HH books are that bad.

Deadlift
07-05-2011, 04:23 PM
The HH books certainly seem to have the "marmite effect" you either love em or hate em :p

daboarder
07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
You're doing it wrong dealift.....

It's Vegimite thats the good stuff ;)

Verilance
07-05-2011, 05:35 PM
they both taste like poop :p

Playa
07-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Hey,

so what if it MIGHT get better, MAYBE? It still sucks RIGHT NOW

[still coughing] OmG, I haven't laughed like that in ages! Thanks, that's my thought EXACTLY in the middle of many a "best-seller".

OT: Yet another Imperial vehicle/ walker from Forge World is not exactly stop-press news, but the Contemptor isn't BAD, and I appreciate good hobby news when I can get it. If it hasn't been mentioned, Chuck was an Epic-scale Dread in an old space marine game GW cleverly named "Space Marine". This FW version is even larger than 40k-scale - no doubt a calculated result:

http://postimage.org/image/trslj5c4/

Imo, FW's put out a lot worse ...

Playa

L192837465
07-06-2011, 09:03 AM
I think this could actually be leaning towards the next chaos dex. It specifically mentions codexes, not IA books. Plus, if it was HH, Dreads wouldn't really be around. I think there were like, 5 total at the beginning of the HH.

I want a Tau Vs Tyranids or DE IA. That would be awesome.

Valkerie
07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I think this could actually be leaning towards the next chaos dex. It specifically mentions codexes, not IA books. Plus, if it was HH, Dreads wouldn't really be around. I think there were like, 5 total at the beginning of the HH.

Given the mobility of the Dark Eldar and the fact that they're essentially raiders, that would give FW the excuse to explore a very large area. They could cover an entire sector, or possibly even the whole Tau Empire. Maybe give more background on Tau allies, what they are and how they became allies. After all, Tau players need lovin' too.:D

BrokenWing
07-06-2011, 02:34 PM
No they don't. Only Slaanesh needs love. :D

Drunkencorgimaster
07-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Even if I wanted to though, they're too busy implanting their seed within ritually selected drugged up adolescents.

Okay, that was funny. I missed this kind of stuff while I was away.

Myu
07-12-2011, 02:02 AM
@Melissia
Don't like HH books? It's all about marines cause it's supposed to be, but eh, if you don't like it fine be me.

@Chaos stuff:
Assumed chaos coming at some point for same reason. Hope they all get some stuff. Maybe no one plays Slanesh cause they're basically creepy porn and you can't take that stuff around with you and be comfortable? I never played chaos so I dunno, but I always found Khorne and Tzeench looked the best and nurgle being interesting.

Unzuul the Lascivious
07-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Slaanesh ARE underdiscovered - so what if they're sexy? They're supposed to be. I'd like to see Forgeworld release some decent, adult-themed products for them so us grown ups can enjoy their lascivious nature. You know that scene in the film '300' in Xerxes tent? That's pretty much how I see Slaanesh as being. Wicked!

Melissia
07-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Slaanesh aren't necessarily sexy, theyr'e excessive.

Certainly the currernt daemonette models aren't anything close to sexy, unless you're a necrophiliac seeing as they're practically skeletal and look like they're rotting.

Lancel
07-12-2011, 08:14 AM
They're anorexic (the daemonettes that is). And yeah, they're excessive beyond all reason, perverse, and I always expected they generally warp fetishes into over-the-top caricatures with an intent closer to parody than actual seduction. I don't find it sexy at all, but of course I didn't find that Xerxes tent scene sexy at all either. The sexy Slaanesh thing I've been led to believe is mostly a weird Internet-ism.

Lockark
07-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Mortal Slaanesh followers should basically look like a cross between the Hell Raisers and Crack Addics. Thier excessive, and abuse their bodies to achieve it. Lucius the eternal is a good example of what a "mortal" slaanesh follower should look like.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440207a&prodId=prod1090216

But that dosen't mean that Slaanesh can't be sexy eirther. Remember, slaanesh is also the God you appeal to for the skills to get people to follow you, and to be a leader.Sigvald is a good example of this other aspect of slaanesh, the "sexy" aspect.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1550008

"Slaanesh = Sexy" isn't untrue, the thing is that it's not the only aspect of Slaanesh.

Unzuul the Lascivious
07-13-2011, 03:22 AM
'Sexy' is a subjective word anyway - it is something that invokes the thought of sex, so that can mean different things to different people. Lust is part of Slaanesh's arsenal, so lewdness, nudity and poking things in and out of body parts is to be expected. I would like those elements portrayed in the look and feel of the models. I know not everyone is into that, that's fair enough.

DrLove42
07-13-2011, 04:00 AM

Forgeworld books will always be Imperium vs "Insert Xenos/Chaos here". I highly doubt they'd ever dedicate a book (which isn't just a book...its 7-8 months of dedicated sculpting time) to nothing but aliens, meanignt hey'd do nothign new marine or guard for a while

And good news is next IA after Mymeera is supposed to be DE..

Lancel
07-13-2011, 08:11 AM
'Sexy' is a subjective word anyway - it is something that invokes the thought of sex, so that can mean different things to different people. Lust is part of Slaanesh's arsenal, so lewdness, nudity and poking things in and out of body parts is to be expected. I would like those elements portrayed in the look and feel of the models. I know not everyone is into that, that's fair enough.

It's all sexy fun and games until the lacerating tentacles come out, that's all I got to say on that.

Melissia
07-13-2011, 09:54 AM
It's all sexy fun and games until the lacerating tentacles come out, that's all I got to say on that.Guro fans disagree with you.

Lancel
07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Guro fans disagree with you.

They would, wouldn't they? Guh. There's no accounting for Rule 34.

Lockark
07-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Guro fans disagree with you.

So slaanesh fans?

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/4chanRus/Awesome%20Face/1213136593834s.jpg