PDA

View Full Version : 15pt Lieutenant Allister Caine list

surth
07-01-2011, 07:43 AM
What u guys think? im pritty new to the game.

Lieutenant Allister Caine
Defender
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer

wittdooley
07-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Seems like an awfully brittle list to me, but it is at 15pts....

faolan
07-01-2011, 10:23 AM
You can't get two officers in there, points-wise if you're using the Defender, only one.

Cowboy247
07-01-2011, 11:57 AM
I would go with something like this.

Lieutenant Allister Caine-5
Charger-4
Ol' Rowdy-9
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts)-6
Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer-2
=======

I wouldn't run this list at all, but you seem to like the ATGM.

At 15 I would run this:
Lieutenant Allister Caine-5
Charger-4
Lancer-6
Ironclad-7
Squire-2
Captain Arlan Strangewayes-2

Charger to soften up opposing jacks, lancer to be a meat shield for the charger to get him in range of a caster assassination, Ironclad to put hammer to face and Arlan for repairs on the Ironclad in melee.

wittdooley
07-01-2011, 12:09 PM
OH what a fun little list. I may play that tonight!

MoonFever
07-01-2011, 12:59 PM
At 15 points you shouldn’t see so much infantry that Caine can’t take care of it himself during his feat turn in the very least. At that point level, I also would avoid an arcnode, since he does get the bonus to range with his spells through his guns (though an arcnode for angling his slam spell isn’t a bad idea, just not at this point level…)

I’d say the following…
Lieutenant Allister Caine -6
Centurion 9
Charger 4
Stormsmith Stormcaller 1
Stormsmith Stormcaller 1
Sword Knight Unit (10) 6

TOTAL 15

That keeps it all Cygnar for you. You have the charger for supplemental shooting, which also can benefit from snipe. Centurion is for roadblocking enemy heavy jacks, and melee punishment, and the sword knights are a cheap and effective screen that also synergize with your heavy with reach, and can help down warjacks…

Stormsmiths are there to assist with killing stealthy targets and disrupting opposing warjacks.

I purposely left out mercs, but Alexia & Risen, Piper of Ord, and/or Eiryss can help with this list if you wanted to tweak it

scadugenga
07-01-2011, 08:13 PM
With 15 points and a pCaine list, you need something to take out the heavies.

The adage is that boosted Pow 12's kill caters. They do.

What they don't do, is cause a Heavy enough grief before it gets in your face and things get ugly.

Here's my take on a 15 point Caine List

Option 1
Caine
-Defender
-Lancer

Junior Warcaster
Squire
Stormsmith Caller

Notes: This is heavily focused on a 1-2 offensive punch with Caine & the Defender. The Lancer is there for dirty tricks and messing with your opponent. The Squire is all about making Caine's feat turn meaner than it should be. The 'Caller is for dealing with enemy stealthed solos and the JWC is for utility support.

Uses:

Defender: It's no secret what he does. Snipe on the Def, and let the shenanigans begin. Alternately, blur for extra defense and Snipe on Caine. I've played a tourney game where a sniped Defender earned me a first turn caster kill because my opponent was a little too anxious and didn't think about the range...

Squire: Extends Caine's control range by 2". That's 2 more inches to his feat range. Most opponent's won't think about that. Plus the extra focus for the feat turn won't hurt either.

JWC: Is there to put Arcane Shield on the Lancer and basically hide and keep that spell up! (Arm 21 Lancers are particularly frustrating and resilient....)

Lancer: Your ace in the hole. What almost everyone forgets is that you can use that lovely shock shield offensively too. Pick out your opponent's heavy hitter, load up the focus on the Lancer and charge that little guy in. Make the shield attack your charge attack. (Nothing says it has to be the lance...) You don't need to damage the enemy to cause a point of cortex damage, just hit. Second attack w/the lance is free, and honestly, who cares if it misses or not. spend the remaining two focus points to make additional shield attacks to wipe out the last two cortex boxes. Poof! No more focus on your opponent's pride & joy. And at Arm 21--not a lot is going to damage it outside of a heavy jack. Who will have a hard time hitting the Lancer w/o a cortex.

Alternately, Drop the Squire, and substitute Thorn for the Lancer, and you can just disengage for 1 focus to avoid free strikes and be even more annoying to your opponent.

@faolan: The OP gets the second ATGM Captain for free due to Caine's Tier list--which he hits at Tier 2 for 15 points.

faolan
07-01-2011, 11:15 PM
I was fiddling in Army builder, which was taking into account the theme list and it was showing it 2pts over with the non-free one. But the program isn't always right!

scadugenga
07-01-2011, 11:43 PM
It goes like this:

Caine (+6 pts)

Defender (9 pts)

ATGM (5 pts (Tier 1 bonus (ATGM are -1 point to cost)
ATGM Cpt (2 pts)

ATGM (5 pts (Tier 1 bonus)
ATGM Cpt (Free-Tier 2 bonus)

Total: 15 pts (21 w/Caine's bonus points tossed in)

AB must be wonky.

the_puritan
07-02-2011, 07:30 AM
I actually really like this list at the 15 point level.
...your opponents won't, though.

Using Caine's Snipe plus push-bullets, the gunmages can keep heavies at bay without actually ever needing to mark a single damage box off.
Caine can also slam-spell any others out of threat range and maybe knock a few things over in the deal. As was said, Caine can pretty much take care of any infantry or support peices your opponent brings all by himself.

Meanwhile, the Defender can bide its time waiting for the assassination by actually doing damage to stuff.

Try it and let us know how it turns out for you!