PDA

View Full Version : Forge World CONTEMPTOR PATTERN DREADNOUGHT BODY

energongoodie
07-01-2011, 07:24 AM
I am in love!

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/CONTEMPTOR_PATTERN_DREADNOUGHT_BODY.html

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/xlarge/contemptordflt.jpg

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/contemptor11.jpg

Here are the rules.
It has some things crossed out saying forbidden. Brilliant!
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/c/Contemptor.pdf

They imply that this will feature in a new Chaos Space Marine codex.

Melissia
07-01-2011, 07:31 AM
I honestly just don't like that as an SM dreadnought. Just... seems like too much of a break in style. It kinda looks morel ike what you'd expect out of Sisters actually, if it was more ornate.

eldargal
07-01-2011, 07:53 AM
I was thinking 'oh for heavens sake, another stupid dreadnought' but it is actually quite nice, I do agree with Melissia that is a big break in style though.

Lancel
07-01-2011, 07:59 AM
I certainly don't find it ugly, but I do think it could use bigger shoulders to make it look more Dreadnoughty. It is a break in style, but it's really not bad, and it is something different. It would make for a distinct addition to a Space Marine army. I'd be tempted to get it myself. It's got a different feel, rather than a seemingly only minor decorative change.

wittdooley
07-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Look at the old art. This is how they looked during Heresy and Pre-Heresy. It holds form with the fact that they've been releasing a lot more pre-heresy style wargear.

energongoodie
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Just bought one with 2 close combat arms. Can't wait to paint it. It's going to be a furioso in my small Blood Angel army. I shall wait to see what other arms they release before I get some for my Iron Hands.

In truth, I've never really liked the current dreadnought shape ever since it came out. It was bigger and shinier than the rather small originals so it was always going to be bought, but I've never liked it that much.
This I love.

eldargal
07-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Ehh, it looks like a pre-heresy dreadnought in the same way a terminator looks like a pre-heresy dreadnought, in my opinion:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/9/94/Rylanorsmall.jpg

Which itself is a relatively recent attempt to re-envision this as something vaguely good looking:
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/a/0/0/10/d/AAAACo7TJYEAAAAAABDSCA.jpg?v=1150838310000

pauljc
I think it's delish!

Not to get all rumoury, but did anyone check that footnote at the bottom of the rules PDF, where it mentions that until a variant comes out in a forthcoming book, you can use it in a CSM army?

sangrail777
Yep Pre-Heresy! Check out Heresy Visions. I gotta get me one of these!

lattd
07-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Read the what army's its allowed for, thats got to be a big hint, at a chaos variant coming.

Personally i like it you can see its a giant space marine and is more developed than the current ones.

rbgm01
07-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Im definetly purchasing 2

pgarfunkle
07-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Yep am definitely thinking I need me one of these for my Blood Angels, will be a nice model to add a bit of variation in the masses of dreadnoughts I am begining to accumulate

eldargal
07-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't know why, but looking at this closely suddenly made me want to start a Dark Angels successor legion led by Lion al Jolson with the battlecry of 'Mammy! Mammy!'. Yes, all that came to me in an instant looking at the Contemptor. I think I need more sleep and less wine at luncheon

Bigthunda
07-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Until a future variant is relased in a future codex, it can be used in Chaos Space Marine forces...Booyah. Not only can we use a dread that doesn't suck NOW, something like this will probably be in the next 'dex!

gwensdad
07-01-2011, 09:01 AM
This would go well with the 2 RT era Dreads I've got.
Now get some way to get money...

wittdooley
07-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I sincerely love it, but I won't lie and say it doesn't look a little like the Iron Man Mk 1 armour.

DrLove42
07-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Personally I love it. Its a shooty dreadnaught more than a combat one surely with BS5 and a better invulnerable save at range?

Gotthammer
07-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Which itself is a relatively recent attempt to re-envision this as something vaguely good looking:

It's actually a design from Space Marine 2nd ed, 1991ish, from the plastic sprues:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/Gagoc/Sources/EpicDreads2.jpg

MaltonNecromancer
07-01-2011, 09:35 AM
It's actually a design from Space Marine 2nd ed, 1991ish, from the plastic sprues:

Which, if you look through Jes Goodwin's art book ("The Gothic and Eldritch"), you'll discover was one of three concepts for SM Dreadnoughts; the Epic one was released before they'd settled on which of the three to use. The modern "sarcophagus" box we all know and love won, but the "Epic" design was revisited by Sabretooth to create a distinct (but still, to all intents and purposes, "official") Dreadnought design.

I'm really liking this. If I can afford some, I'll blatantly be getting some.

Dru
07-01-2011, 10:04 AM
slight disappointed actaully. The model is excellent , I just wish they had of put it up with a couple of load out options. Will be buying one of course, just going to wait till the Plasma cannon is released for my dark angels.

Were does this fall into the Imperal armour 11 though ?If its a space wolf dreadnaught ,what sort of mad stuff are those hidden weapon options?

Do we have a time refrence for IA11 , is it set in 40k or is it possibly 35k etc ?

newtoncain
07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice, i want one but not at FW price and shipping time.:(

Bigred
07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Totally in love!

I've been waiting 20 years for this to appear in 40k Scale (I was an Epic player back in the day)

Something tells me a whole range of arms and loyalist and chaos hulls in on the way...

Ordered... My Death Guard are smiling (toothlessly)!

Dru
07-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I have a funny feeling one weapon will be a thunderfire cannon and one will be an inferno cannon.

I think a inferno cannon on a death guard dread would be nice and fluffy.

Gotthammer
07-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Do we have a time refrence for IA11 , is it set in 40k or is it possibly 35k etc ?

Forge World said before IA9 came out that they'd always be working in the 'present' to quash Heresy book rumours when the alternate armour mark kits came out. The silver and blue painted example is the Astral Claws colour scheme, so it's intended to be used in contemporary armies.

I'm also a bit underwhelmed by the number of weapon arms available. I'll be waiting a while before I get one.

RedWidow
07-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I was thinking 'oh for heavens sake, another stupid dreadnought' but it is actually quite nice, I do agree with Melissia that is a big break in style though.

I agree with the break in style and say "IT'S ABOUT TIME"!!! I love it, and believe it's a style change in the correct direction for the Space Marines. I really hope it is well received and hope they continue movement in the direction of that look. I would buy ten of these vs. the silly Dreadknight.

Dru
07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I see, I was not aware of that little bit of information. With the exception of bikers, speeders and termies we can now more or less make a totally fluffy pre-heresy army, which is nice. I run a current era dark angel army with alot of older stuff thrown in, so this will be getting bought.

It’s a shame that dread didn’t have a photo in one of the books, Although with a few modifications it would make a nice version of the salamander special character dread.

it looks like better version of the dreadknight, If i ever do a Gray knight armoury I might use those as proxies, it towers nicely over other minis.

RedWidow
07-01-2011, 10:40 AM
The rounded armor panels make so much more sense from a ballistics point of view... more rounds bounce off of them. Go ForgeWorld.

Dru
07-01-2011, 10:45 AM
its 5+ inv vs ranged and its 13 front armour handle that.

The 5+ is clearly to make the eldar lance weapons less of a threat.in IA11

wittdooley
07-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Nice, i want one but not at FW price and shipping time.:(

Let me be the first to say, "Boo-frakkin-hoo."

energongoodie
07-01-2011, 11:09 AM

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/Gagoc/Sources/EpicDreads2.jpg

Good knowledge. Completely forgot about these.

The more I look at it the more I want a whole army of them.

I reckon we might get a conversion beamer arm and other pre-heresy/heresy tech. Like a graviton beamer etc.

Maybe the last rubbed out option is a jump pack.

George Labour
07-01-2011, 11:11 AM
First thing I thought when I saw this was old school epic A.K.A space marine dread.

Second thing I thought was, if they would give it the right weapon options it'd make a lovely model for Bjorn the Fell Handed. Except you'd have to add loads of wolfy gubbins to match the fluff in Battle of The Fang.

Third thing I thought was "Where are those Knight Paladins I want them to make!?!"

Fourth thought was, cheetos are awesome.

Overall I like it. But like some have said, it could use some more weapons and maybe ornateness.

Deadlift
07-01-2011, 11:14 AM
I love it, I honestly do and as a BA player Im thinking all sorts of possibilities with that model.

I would go as far as to say its my favourite model so far this year, easily :D:D:D:D:

Im getting at least 2

To start with.

SotonShades
07-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Damn. Just when I thought I had enough stuff for my Space Marines... I agree with most of the other commenters; a few more weapon options would be nice, but it looks like it will be nice and easy to magnatise... and pose! Really really want to get my hands on this kit and convert the hell out of it. My initial thought was that it was a nice halfway house between the dreadnought and dreadknight kits, so maybe a couple of weapons from the latter would look awesome on it!

Deadlift
07-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Is the CC arm reversible and possible for left and right ?:confused:

Yes it can :)

Mr.Pickelz
07-01-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking, as i look at it, that this would be a good substitution for a Dreadknight. ;)

Edit: The body alone is worth around the same cost as a Dreadknight. :P

Denzark
07-01-2011, 12:17 PM
1. It IS a nice model.
2. I never considered the astartes would rip off the ABC warriors fella but hey.
3. It does not harken back to the original RT 'chuck' dread. So to use up the Contemptor name is a bit ploppy.
4. But...It IS a nice model.

All I can say is: "Cataphract, Crusader, Collossus etc..."

Dru
07-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I think it's a nice rework of the idea behind the rt model, I think the other weapons will be out the week after next , with the warhammer book next week . I might just buy one and magnetise the weapons now

proeliator_legio
07-01-2011, 12:44 PM
as someone who loves dreadnoughts owning like 12, i think it is amazing and it will be awesome in my dark mechanicus/ chaos marine codex. I am in love with the model and the rules for it, and cant wait for thous forbidden weapon options to become available. I will be buying 3 of them as they will go amazing in both my blood angels and dark mechanicus army.

Dru
07-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Is the CC arm reversible and possible for left and right ?:confused:

Yes it can :)

Nice feature it being reversible , also means they only need to do one version of each weapon option .

fuzzbuket
07-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I honestly just don't like that as an SM dreadnought. Just... seems like too much of a break in style. It kinda looks morel ike what you'd expect out of Sisters actually, if it was more ornate.

make one :) thatd be cool as a counts as pentient engine !

notice how it says choas will get a custom one

^_^ damn you FW i like my monies but you take them all!

MarneusCalgar
07-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I love it!!!

Will buy at least 2 of them...

SMC
07-01-2011, 11:39 PM
I love this model. Not going to pick one up until I have my FW ven sw dread painted though.

NidzillaFTW
07-02-2011, 12:27 AM
It seems to be a bit larger than a regular dreadnought model. I wonder if you could kit bash it with a GK dreadknight kit and get a dreadknight that doesn't have a baby carrier on the front?

Wildcard
07-02-2011, 03:43 AM
I always like new stuff and rules coming out, no matter what unit, no matter for what army..
Yet i must say that i am a bit disappointed to see that this is not for C: Grey Knights.

Some may think that "Hell, you can get 3x Psyriflemans so stop complaining", but that is excactly why i would like some other viable option. Stacking up Psyriflemans is a no-brainer in my opinion, and this could have been a good opportunity to create a viable alternative, with some different loadout (yet i know that it would stand against design philosophy of Grey Knights to mix their gear with other chapters, be that weapons, special rules etc etc..)

So I am mainly sad cos there is yet to be seen a fun, yet role filling alternative to the stupid psyrifleman triplets.

SMC
07-02-2011, 06:35 AM
GK were created post Heresy. This chassis is for Astartes Legions only.

Now whether it's fair Or not that vanilla marines can use this because they got grandfathered in with the Legions in CSM...not for me to say.

Asymmetrical Xeno
07-02-2011, 07:06 AM
All they need now is pre-heresy terminators, right?

Dru
07-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Bikers too many be, but then yeps.

Wont mind seeing a few HQ choices that re generic, like buy body c, left arm a and right arm 4

Asymmetrical Xeno
07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Bikers too many be, but then yeps.

Wont mind seeing a few HQ choices that re generic, like buy body c, left arm a and right arm 4

I don't remember pre-heresy bikes, not saying theere werent any though :) just saying iv never seen them before, any artwork ? Also, correct me if I'm wrong but werent their jetbikes too ?

Lane
07-02-2011, 12:11 PM
IIRC there were a couple bikes that would be considered pre-heresy now.

The Blackshadow was one of the first I remember.

Galadren
07-02-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm thinking of doing one for Black Templars. Black with the left shoulder done with the traditional black cross on a white field, and the right shoulder done in the Imperial Fists fist on yellow field to represent it being with the Legion before the Second Founding.

Loken
07-03-2011, 06:13 PM

SOOOOO Looking forward to these! Need em bad!

I love having more and more pre-heresy stuff.

Now if the guy who paints for me would re-appear. :-(

The Apocalypse 40K Blog (http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com/)

The Apocalypse 40K forums (http://www.apocalypse40k.com/)

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm106/Linnear1701/40K/ApocLogo.png (http://www.apocalypse40k.com/)

miteyheroes
07-04-2011, 01:47 AM
I'm thinking of doing one for Black Templars. Black with the left shoulder done with the traditional black cross on a white field, and the right shoulder done in the Imperial Fists fist on yellow field to represent it being with the Legion before the Second Founding.

Nice!

Deadlift
07-05-2011, 04:27 PM
I just ordered my 1st one, I am thinking now is the time to start my Iron Hands army with this bad boy being the 1st model.

Porty1119
07-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Ehh, it looks like a pre-heresy dreadnought in the same way a terminator looks like a pre-heresy dreadnought, in my opinion:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/9/94/Rylanorsmall.jpg

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/a/0/0/10/d/AAAACo7TJYEAAAAAABDSCA.jpg?v=1150838310000

What...the...HECK...is THAT thing? Lol. The lousy paint job doesn't help either...

Grenadier
07-09-2011, 11:41 PM
I love it. I'm not so sure it should be a Dreadnought though. But I'm just being persnickety. The Grey Knights get that nifty towering mech thing. Piloted by a man who can be removed from the machine unlike Dreadnoughts. I think this Contemptor would make for a great new unit type. Something similar to the Dreadknight. Something in between a Terminator and a Dreadnought.

Pendragon38
07-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I think this Contemptor would make for a great new unit type. Something similar to the Dreadknight. Something in between a Terminator and a Dreadnought. Thats what I was thinking,Like the RT and 2nd ed Robots since they stand a little taller than the old school dreads and they look like them. I wonder if you can use the forbidden cyber part of the AM army?

energongoodie
07-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Just got the dispatch e-mail. :D

energongoodie
07-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Arrived this morning. Kit incomplete. No shoulders. Cold fury. :mad:
Rang FW. Will send some. Not soon enough.

Deadlift
07-18-2011, 04:11 AM
Arrived this morning. Kit incomplete. No shoulders. Cold fury. :mad:
Rang FW. Will send some. Not soon enough.

Not good mate. However I didn't think we were getting the models until the end of the month. Mine is still stated as order acknowledged.

energongoodie
07-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Agreed. It does say the end of the month. Maybe it's a popular item and they are having to get going on it early. I can only assume they are working on a first come first serve basis and I was in there like swim wear when the newsletter came through. I thought it was interesting that the chap on the phone said." I'll get some cast for you." I guess as it's new they don't just have them sitting around yet.

Deadlift
07-18-2011, 09:09 AM
I look forward to mine arriving hopefully in a complete kit :). As I stated previously in the thread this model has finally given me the kick in the arse to start an Iron Hands army, which has now been started. I look forward to seeing everyones model in the painting and modeling forum.

Just got the email today (20/7). It's on it's way.

Crae
07-21-2011, 05:01 AM
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/315/b/9/Dreadnought_by_andreauderzo.jpg
sabertoothgames image/version of the dread

Thornblood
07-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Im just loving the pose-ability. The other dreadnoughts (of which I own many, my favorite being the Chaplain dreadnought) are essentially boxes that are decorated so well. This is a move towards the design that they have put into the Tau Battesuits- something I have been jealous of ever since I first got rail-gunned by FW Broadsides.

energongoodie
09-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Well, my shoulders arrived on Friday. 3 weeks after the arms and body. Apparently, a lot of the early orders went out without shoulders as there was some confusion concerning whether they were packaged with the arms or the body, or in my case, not packed at all.

Col. Dracus
11-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Here are my WIP Contemptors for my Celestial Lions army. I am going to be trying them out tonight. Wish me luck.

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/LordDracus40k/Celestial%20Lions/2011-11-11_23-12-52_47-1.jpg