PDA

View Full Version : 1500 pt. Grey Knights - Rapid Response Force

Dialogus
06-28-2011, 05:18 PM
I have always been a fan of having a theme to your army and picking what you think sounds fun to play rather than what seems most likely to win the most games, and then trying to make that fun army competitive. So, I have been toying with the idea of starting a GK army with a rapid response theme; something that could emerge from the warp in orbit above the planet and engage the enemy within minutes.

So, I have two rules for my army:

1) Every thing must either be able to deep-strike or must be able to travel in a Storm Raven. In other words, no tanks. I've played IG so long that I want to try an army without them, haha.

2) Grey Knights only, no Inquisitors, assassins, henchmen, etc. If it's not shiny, it's not allowed.

I came up with a 1500 point list to work towards and eventually expand on, and I was hoping to see what you think.

List:

HQ

Castellan Crowe
- In Storm Raven, attached to Purifiers w/halberds

Librarian
Falchions
3x servo-skulls
Might of Titan
Sanctuary
The Summoning
Vortex of Doom
-In Storm Raven, attached to Purifiers w/halberds

Troops

10x Purifiers, split into Combat Squads:
5x Halberds
- In Storm Raven

4x Psycannons, 1x Warding Stave
-Deployed near objective in own deployment zone, late pulled into enemy lines using Librarian

5x Terminators
5x Falchions
1x Psycannon
-Deep Striking, into enemy lines

6x Grey Knight Strike Squad
6x swords
-Deep Striking, disrupt enemy advance and seize objective in own deployment zone

Fast Attack

Storm Raven
Multi-melta
Lascannons

Heavy Support

Dreadnought
Assault Cannon
Dreadnought CC/Storm Bolter
Psybolt Ammo
- In Storm Raven

Dreadnought
Twin-linked Autocannon
Twin-linked Autocannon
Psybolt Ammo
- Set up on the ground where it can cover both the Storm Raven's advance and own objective, while staying out of range of anti-tank weapons on the first turn.

= 1500 Points

So, my plan is to advance the Raven 24" in the first turn, dump the assault cannon Dread out since it can still shoot and have it try to take out an enemy transport. The Raven and the autocannon Dread would also fire at enemy tanks.

Turn 2, if my terminators arrive, I would have them deep-strike somewhere close enough for my Librarian to join them after the Raven's 12-inch move. If there is a suitable target I would have Crowe and the halberd Purifiers get out and start stabbing fools, engaging large squads and possibly splitting up to get the most use out of their Cleansing Flame power.

In turn 2-3, I would use the Librarian to pull the psycannon Purifiers into the enemy lines and attack. As the psycannon Purifiers begin to get killed, the psycannon squad would move towards a powerful infantry unit, hopefully keeping the model with the warding stave alive long enough to assault the infantry unit, tying them down with his invulnerable save and repeatedly hitting them with the Cleansing Flame power. My regular Grey Knights would deep-strike to cover the objective that the Purifiers left, trying to disrupt an enemy advance in the process.

It's impossible to plan beyond this, but hopefully with Crowe, the Librarian, Terminators, Purifiers and Dreadnought running wild on their half of the table and with the GKs and second Dreadnought covering my own this should work pretty well.

I wanted to make my Dreads Venerable but I decided that a GK squad would be more useful. My main fear is that I am putting too many eggs in my Storm Raven basket, and that if I don't get the first turn that I could get severely crippled if it goes down (though the Fortitude power will be very helpful to make sure it gets where it needs to). I think this list is pretty balanced in terms of its capabilities, but I haven't played an army like GK's before, so I have a few questions:

How much success have you had deep-striking your Storm Ravens, and should I do this if I get the second turn?

What would you take/do differently, following my two rules for picking units?

What would you take to expand this list to 2k, 2.5k, or 3k size?

And finally a rules question: If Crowe is joined with a unit of Purifiers, can they each use their Cleansing Flame power in the same assault? If so, do they happen simultaneously or sequentially?

Thanks!

Velium
06-28-2011, 06:18 PM
crowe, unfortunately for fans of purifiers, is not an IC. Venerable dreads are neat since they free up Hsupport slots, but not 60 more points neat. also, vortex is kind of not that great for the libby in light of the fact that you cant take a storm shield for him like you can in the marine codices. if anything switch vortex for quicksilver since you cant really deal with I4/5 power weapons on those falchion terminators, the extra initiative from quicksilver makes all the difference against blood angels and the like since youre spending too many points on the terminators for it to be ok for them to go simo and eat return attacks.

oh, and i wouldnt deepstrike the Raven. its too risky and not entirely worth it. the fact that you can move 24 inches on from the table edge with your fast skimmer move and benefit from the cover save puts you in the middle of a regulation table. also, with the FAQ clarifying game turn vs. player turn you dont need to fear for the safety of the mans inside as long as you dont bonehead and land in terrain and immobilize/crash on your turn

Dialogus
06-28-2011, 06:26 PM
I didn't notice that Crowe is not an IC, good catch! I guess I will have to have the Librarian warp him over or find some other way to move him around. I was thinking of using a Vortex/Might of Titan combo to attack vehicles if necessary, but if I find that it isn't useful I will take it out. Good call on Quicksilver, I will probably use that one in place of another.

celestialatc
06-29-2011, 06:59 AM
Looking at your list you might want to consider not using Crowe and just get a Brotherhood Champion instead. If you are not going all purifier and just having one unit, Crowe is a waste. Using a brotherhood champion, who is an IC, you add a great close combat fighter with your purifiers who allows them to reroll their hit rolls! That will be huge!

And with a brotherhood champion you save 50 points and can buy a psycannon for the GKSS or maybe an extra dude or two.

celestialatc
06-29-2011, 07:23 AM
As for scaling up, I think your best bet with having a rapid respond GK list is Terminators. Justicar Thawn is amazing and paladins are just great fun....If you want to keep the purifiers then you keep Crown and make some assaulting units in Storm ravens. The will fill up points fast, especially if you have them with Psycannons. Grey Knights scale very well with higher points so you should have not problem filling point gaps with different levels.

Dialogus
06-29-2011, 03:34 PM
With people's comments and looking through the codex again I'm starting to think about making these changes:

Drop Crowe
Drop 1 Grey Knight
Drop 2 Librarian Powers and take Quicksilver instead

Take a Grand Master

Taking Quicksilver seems like a no-brainer, so I think I will do that, but I'm hesitant to swap Crowe for the Grand Master, because even though the GM could make my Purifiers and/or Dreadnoughts scoring, the Cleansing Flame power seems pretty vital to help the GKs deal with horde armies. I will try it both ways. The Brotherhood Champion is cool, but I feel like I wouldn't have enough scoring units if I took him.

celestialatc
06-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Grand Masters are great. You have options to make them real power houses. They can take a Psycannon and have access to the rad and psychotopic grenades. With just a nemesis force sword he has a 3++ save in close combat. And grand strategy is amazing. Sure you can make units scoring but you can make your Purifers with scout! Imagine your Purifers getting in on the enemy turn one or outflanking.

As for losing clearing flame, sure you are losing one power you might use once per game if crowe does not get shoot up but with a grand master you gain an IC who really opens up your army.

adamkula
07-13-2011, 02:01 AM
I would definatly go for a grand master there is so much you can do with them, like most new armies your IC isnt just about having a hard bloke its aout how you use him in relation to other units or his abilities .....