PDA

View Full Version : Does The GW Studio Use Its Own Hobby Products

oni
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
This a question I often ask myself... Does the GW studio actually use all of their own hobby products to paint up their display models.

While I think the answer for the most part is yes, I personally have a hard time believing that GW uses "all" of their own offerings. They would never of course admit to this. I believe the GW studio uses their own full range of brushes, paints and primers, but does not use their own matte varnish. I'm also willing to bet that they use a good bit of competing products such as Tamiya's Weathering Master system.

With all of the negative stigma surrounding GW's line of hobby products, what do you think the GW studio actually uses of their own stuff? What competing products you think they may use?

RandomX
09-03-2009, 12:16 PM
I could swear that I had read an interview with a former HM painter who said that they are forced to use everything GW, even when there is better items commercially available. Just so that it is a true GW hobby product.

I can find that credible cause in the Studio and whatnot shots that happen to have a random workspace in the background you see guys painting stations, and they always have all GW stuff. Though that is prob cause they get it for free/next to it.

-Eric

oni
09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
...they are forced to use everything GW, even when there is better items commercially available. Just so that it is a true GW hobby product.

Yea, I can see this being the case. It surely wouldn't surprise me if it is.

Aldramelech
09-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I should imagine that requests for petty cash to buy some Tamiya stuff would be frowned upon.

Warmaster
09-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Every now and then they take pictures of the painters desks at the studio. So unless they sanitize the pictures I just don't see them using non-gw product. Man those desks are almost as messy as the one I have at home!

Linkdead
09-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Some of the hobby products aren't bad and are rebranded name brand tools.

RedRat
09-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Imho the fine detail brush is still a bit to large in some cases. And the sculpting tool range laks some variety.
I think if they use tools/products other than GW then in one of these areas

Deimos
09-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Haven't used it yet, but what's wrong with the GW matte varnish?

icecube
09-04-2009, 06:57 AM
I think that while there was an "whats new today" post about the painting stations of the studio there was an 'eavy metal painter that had non-gw paints on his desk.

oni
09-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Haven't used it yet, but what's wrong with the GW matte varnish?

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com/2009/08/when-good-models-go-bad.html

The above link is an extreme case, but I have never heard anyone (literally anyone, I'm not exaggerating) give praise to GW's matte varnish. I had tried it because I didn't want to buy into all the negativity surrounding it. I'm the kind of person that likes to get first hand experience with a product. Well... I got my experience and needless to say it wasn't good.

davetaylor
09-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Hi Oni

One thing to remember is that for the longest time all the spray cans sold by GW in the US were produced here and were (in some cases) considerably different. The black spray paint fiasco of '06/'07 is a case in point. I was part of the group that tested sample cans from the US manufacturer that were absolutely fine, but I know that the cans that went to market were certainly not the same formulation that we tested earlier.

I've also had a lot of problems with the GWUS Matte Varnish, to the point of not using it for years, but the new Purity Seal is now coming from a central source and is worth a look at. I'd liken it to the old GWUK-supplied Matte Varnish that I used to use back in Australia.

Cheers
Dave

Aldramelech
09-04-2009, 10:03 AM
http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com/2009/08/when-good-models-go-bad.html

The above link is an extreme case, but I have never heard anyone (literally anyone, I'm not exaggerating) give praise to GW's matte varnish. I had tried it because I didn't want to buy into all the negativity surrounding it. I'm the kind of person that likes to get first hand experience with a product. Well... I got my experience and needless to say it wasn't good.

Agreed. Their varnish range is appalling! Having said that Humbrol is no better.

CarbonBased
09-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I still have GW matte varnish nightmares.

Drunkencorgimaster
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Imho the fine detail brush is still a bit to large in some cases. And the sculpting tool range laks some variety.
I think if they use tools/products other than GW then in one of these areas

I agree, no way are they using those crappy GW brushes on anything but undercoat.

oni
09-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Oni

One thing to remember is that for the longest time all the spray cans sold by GW in the US were produced here and were (in some cases) considerably different. The black spray paint fiasco of '06/'07 is a case in point. I was part of the group that tested sample cans from the US manufacturer that were absolutely fine, but I know that the cans that went to market were certainly not the same formulation that we tested earlier.

I've also had a lot of problems with the GWUS Matte Varnish, to the point of not using it for years, but the new Purity Seal is now coming from a central source and is worth a look at. I'd liken it to the old GWUK-supplied Matte Varnish that I used to use back in Australia.

Cheers
Dave

Dave,

The can I am/was using was brand new. It was purchased through GW to ensure I didn't receive 'old stock' from a retailer. The can even has the new white nozzle. I'm sorry to say, it's still crap!

person person
09-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Did any of you know that phil stutcinskas, FW designer, has alot of history with Tamiya Modelling magazine?

I wonder how nuch GW product FW has to use?

McPherson
09-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Well just to break the aura of hate and loathing (rightly justified i'm sure) on GW's matte spray.

I have gone through about 4 cans over hte past few years, 2 that got shipped with my stuff from back home in the UK and the other 2 purchased new from GW in the us - not once have I had a single problem with frosting of any type.

Infact my only real 'complaint' I have for GW sprays is the one time I thoght getting some of that frosting would be good (painting up an ice themed army - I figured a little dusting of the aforementioned GW 'permafrost' over a glossed mini) it refused to do so.

However thats not to say people are lying or over-exaggurating about problems with GW cans, my wife used one of mine once and frosted up a bunch of PP minis, luckily it was fixed when she handed the can to me and I re-applied over the top - poof good as new.

I guess i'm either A. just really god damn lucky or B. I have a direct mental link witht he GW gods and follow their psychic instructions on how to use the can in the correctly sanctified imperial way :D

Oh also - GW sprays all smell like pear drops, mmmm i love that smell :P

Gotthammer
09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Did any of you know that phil stutcinskas, FW designer, has alot of history with Tamiya Modelling magazine?

I wonder how nuch GW product FW has to use?

Given the range of stuff they use in their painting book (ie oil paints, pencils, water filters), probably not a whole lot. That history explains alot of the techniques though.

oni
09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm going to use the rest of it on my terrain and see how it goes. A little frosting on that stuff wont matter, in fact it would probably add to the effect.

Herald of Nurgle
09-04-2009, 03:01 PM
For the purposes of advertising? Always use own brand.

For the purposes of painting? Any t'ing

Chrysalis
09-04-2009, 03:05 PM
For the purposes of advertising? Always use own brand.

For the purposes of painting? Any t'ing

This ^

I'm not surprised that a 'eavy metal painter would have other paints, tools etc on their desk... when you're a painter or an artist of any kind, of anything, you're always going to want to try out other product.

bepps
09-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately the article has been pulled from the GW website, but there was a great Tau Piranha Masterclass where a number of non-gw products were used, including oil paints for weathering, and maybe even a few Tamiya paints, but I can't recall if that was indeed the case or not. It was one of their best Masterclass articles and I hope it is re-posted in the White Dwarf archives.