PDA

View Full Version : 1750 codex marines for tourney

cheesyfluff
06-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi all.
I have signed up for a 1750 point tournament (team event at Melstrom games)

Here is the rough list i have so far.

Pedro Kantor

Tactical squad in Rhino missile launcher/melta
Tactical Squad in Rhino heavy bolter/ flamer

Sternguard (10 marines 5 combi meltas) Rhino
Sternguard (10 marines 5 combi meltas) Drop Pod

Assult Squad (10 marines, powerfist)

Devastor squad (5 marines, 4x missile launchers) lascannon razorback

Thunderfire cannon

General idea is the Tacticals are there for objectives and picking fights with anything smaller/weaker ie small squads of most things, if they run into anything scary then i'll either redirect the ssault marines their way or direct some sternguard fire that way.
Sternguard in the rhino are there to set up some covering fire from a decent possition, drop pod ones to drop in and take down the scary things (hopefully from a bit of distance or to be really cheesy drop the pod on an objective so my opponent has to waste firepower getting shot of an empty pod or it contests.
Devastators are there for popping transports and the lascannon razorback doubles up as a gun platform or they can bravely run away in it if they are looking like getting assaulted.
The thunderfire is there simply because its cool but i tend to have a fair bit of luck with it all the same.
Assault marines are there to tie up really scary units support other units or be supported by other units ie shoot them up a bit first with another unit then they can get in.
Pedro is there to go in the pod with the sternguard making them rather scary to most things and giving them an extra attack if needed and because he looks cool.

Please bear in mind (if you have read this far) that although i am not going to this tourney to beat face i would at least like to not let my team down too much!

Other models i could switch out for in my collection are

librarian (all types)
Chaplain (all types)
space marine captains most loadouts
a third tactical squad
command squad
assault terminators (enough to run all hammers/all claws or a mix)
terminators (with enough to run all options)
land raider
2 land speeders
5 sniper scouts
2 lascannon devstators 2 plasma devastors 1 missile launcher devastator 1 multi melta devastator
Hours have been reduced at work not long back so i can hardly just nip out and buy a whole new army but can add a couple of different units between now and then if needs be.

So with all that wall of text behind you, what do you think? any changes? different tactics? i'm hardly what you would call an experienced tournament gamer.

Thanks

Lord Azaghul
06-23-2011, 12:48 PM
You NEED, NEED tranports for the tact squads. A tact squad hiding is useless, and I tact squad out in the open is dead.

Assualt Squad: drop them all together - sorry nilla marines just dont' have a good delivery systme for them - again: marines out in the open = dead marines.

Landspeeders: +1 Especially if you can typhoon them. But HF/MM works well to, yeah they are fragile but they bring some much needed fire power to the board.

Assult Termies: Depends on what you're local meta has, but a 3++ isn't a bad thing, ever.

Sad news: nilla marines are hard to do unless you razor spam (I know you don't want to beat face) but its the 'dex is 'showing its age' now.

cheesyfluff
06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. Sadly i kind of already agreed with you on asault marines. Which is a shame as i love the models and the concept of them. The 2 tacticals in the list both hve Rhinos but i would need to pick up third if i ran the third squad. As for razorback spamming i was thinking of running a second devastator squad with a lascnnon razorback, i think my buget could run to that. It would give me 2 units capable of taking down most things in the game. I'll look at rewriting it to fit in terminators too but then what do you do with them? Deepstriking is risky and you can't assault same turn and a landrider mkes the unit 450 points which is about 30% of the army in one go but like you said, footslogging isn't really an option either.

Lord Azaghul
06-23-2011, 03:33 PM
. I'll look at rewriting it to fit in terminators too but then what do you do with them? Deepstriking is risky and you can't assault same turn and a landrider mkes the unit 450 points which is about 30% of the army in one go but like you said, footslogging isn't really an option either.

Never take a landraider for termies, ever - its a huge box of defensive points that gains you almost nothing.

They are definatley a DS unit – I usually don’t find it too risky. But reserves are always iffy.
Normal termies w/ cyclone are also a solid DS unit - bolter fire disrupts, and the missle do rear/side armour nicely - not as durable, but like I said SM codex is limiting.

Tynskel
06-23-2011, 08:35 PM
I completely disagree about razorspam. There are plenty of ways to play, kick butt, chew bubble gum.

Now, I agree with you if your tourney has no terrain. So many tourneys have no terrain and as a consequence, razor spam rocks.

Put on the glasses.

Now if people played with more terrain the point n' click lists would evolve.

I also don't understand the land raider comment: Land Raiders are designed to deliver your terminators. There's a reason you can take them as dedicated transports for your terminators. If you are using godhammer pattern, it would be better for a tactical squad, but a crusader or redeemer is quite good for terminators of any type.

cheesyfluff
06-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the responses. I personally don't think the book is dead yet. I play Blood Ravens so there are probably plenty of fluff reasons i could run them as Blood Angels (number of librarians ect) but here and now they are codex chapter so it's how i'll run em. Plus the 20 quid i would spend on a new codex is another squad i could add and enjoy painting.

As for the land raider, they are great but they are expensive. 1 lucky melta shot (i should know ive done it to others) and they are footslogging anyway.

I rewrote the list completly last night so here is the new (and hopefully improved) list

Pedro Kantor
Terminator Librarian

2 Tacticals in rhinos
2 full sternguard with 4 combi meltas ech
terminator assault squad with hammers
devastator squad with 4 missiles and lascannon razorback

The librarian obviously joins the terminators and uses null zone to force rerolls on invunrable saves. He aslo gives me some phycic defence with all the grey knights and battle squads ect out there. And most importantly, its fluffy! Ok Pedro is hardly fluffy but i got him the day he was released and filed/ greenstuffed his fists iconography off ect and to this day he is the model i am most proud of. Apart from that, scoring sternguard double the scoring units in the army.

Lord Azaghul
06-27-2011, 10:18 AM
I also don't understand the land raider comment: Land Raiders are designed to deliver your terminators. There's a reason you can take them as dedicated transports for your terminators. If you are using godhammer pattern, it would be better for a tactical squad, but a crusader or redeemer is quite good for terminators of any type.

Landraiders in themselves aren't bad.
The problem is their price. Coupled with transporting a pricey unit, that combined can equal 25% or more of your force. That's a ALOT of points that will do nothing for 2 turns (except move up and pop smoke and take 1 shot). It basicly becomes 2000pts vs 1500pts for 1/3 of the game.

So much of this game has become about laying down overwhelming fire power in turns 1 and 2.
My typical tactics for dealing with land raiders forces its just to kill everything else for the first third of the game. When they get close, and/or get out - then I kill the squad - and lastly the landraider.

Or to put in another way:
First 2 turns its my full force vs your 3/4 force, by the time our CC squad gets to me its my 3/4 force vs your 1/2 force - and the attrition continues :P.

For SM every unit has to be able to do something almost ALL the time, a unit in a landraider is effectly doing nothing.