PDA

View Full Version : Play on another world!!!

JxKxR
06-23-2011, 09:20 AM
So these 40k battles seem to take place on pretty much the same world and I think that is a little boring so you people should help me out with some rules for fighting on different worlds.

Fighting on a windy world!
All skimmers at the end of the movement phase scatter D6 inches!

Poisnous plants!
The Chigg'hi plant- The Chigg'hi plant is a bush that emits a cloud of spores that when inhailed cause EXTREME paranoia and fear. Any unit found within six inches of this plant at the begining of the movement phase take a moral test (NO MATTER WHAT RULE YOU HAVE) and if passed act normaly, but if failed they fall back 2D6 inches and Fearless units lose Fearless for the rest of that turn. Tanks and Monsterous creatures act normally.

The Zowanna Tree- The Zowanna Tree is a tall tree with long vines that reach out and grab whatever comes close enough. Any unit within 8 inches of the Zowanna tree take D3 strength 3, AP - hits. If the unit is on flying bases then the strength of the hit is 4. Tanks and skimmers take a difficult terrain test.

Dying planet
A dying planet won't go quietly.
Turn 1- The planet starts breaking apart
Take difficult terrain test. skimmers are un affected.
Turn 2- BIG SHIFT!
Roll a D6 scatter for all terrain and take D6 strength 4 ap - hits on units in terrain.
Turn 3- Crack
Roll a scatter die in the middle of the table and which ever way the die points draw a line from the center to the table edge. Any unit the line passes through takes D3 Strength 10 AP - hits.
Turn 4- Hot Lava!
The world starts spitting out lava as the world breaks apart. Every tank that is not a skimmer must take a Strength 8 AP 1 Hit on it's front armour.
Turn 5- The calm...
The world get's earily quiet and the sky darkens. This turn is fought with the night fighting rules.
Turn 6- BOOM!!!
Everything dies.

So what do you think? Anyone have any ideas that they would like to share?

DrLove42
06-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Turn 6 of dying planet seems a little silly....everyone dies...so no one is holding objectives and everyone gets all the other tmeas kill points...

wittdooley
06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
So these 40k battles seem to take place on pretty much the same world and I think that is a little boring so you people should help me out with some rules for fighting on different worlds.

Fighting on a windy world!
All skimmers at the end of the movement phase scatter D6 inches!

Poisnous plants!
The Chigg'hi plant- The Chigg'hi plant is a bush that emits a cloud of spores that when inhailed cause EXTREME paranoia and fear. Any unit found within six inches of this plant at the begining of the movement phase take a moral test (NO MATTER WHAT RULE YOU HAVE) and if passed act normaly, but if failed they fall back 2D6 inches and Fearless units lose Fearless for the rest of that turn. Tanks and Monsterous creatures act normally.

The Zowanna Tree- The Zowanna Tree is a tall tree with long vines that reach out and grab whatever comes close enough. Any unit within 8 inches of the Zowanna tree take D3 strength 3, AP - hits. If the unit is on flying bases then the strength of the hit is 4. Tanks and skimmers take a difficult terrain test.

Dying planet
A dying planet won't go quietly.
Turn 1- The planet starts breaking apart
Take difficult terrain test. skimmers are un affected.
Turn 2- BIG SHIFT!
Roll a D6 scatter for all terrain and take D6 strength 4 ap - hits on units in terrain.
Turn 3- Crack
Roll a scatter die in the middle of the table and which ever way the die points draw a line from the center to the table edge. Any unit the line passes through takes D3 Strength 10 AP - hits.
Turn 4- Hot Lava!
The world starts spitting out lava as the world breaks apart. Every tank that is not a skimmer must take a Strength 8 AP 1 Hit on it's front armour.
Turn 5- The calm...
The world get's earily quiet and the sky darkens. This turn is fought with the night fighting rules.
Turn 6- BOOM!!!
Everything dies.

So what do you think? Anyone have any ideas that they would like to share?

I think these are really cool ideas. If I recall correctly, I think GW put something similar to this for a Fenrisian world in a White Dwarf around the time the Space Wolves were released.

JxKxR
06-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Turn 6 of dying planet seems a little silly....everyone dies...so no one is holding objectives and everyone gets all the other tmeas kill points...

No. There is no turn 6, game over after Turn 5.

@ Wittdooley
Yeah that's where I got the idea from.

L192837465
06-23-2011, 09:42 AM
I'd have to say the process of the planet dying in a matter of 6 turns... silly. it should be one consistent rule that's applied throughout the game.

Orminah
06-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Hahaha. Dying Planet. Awesome. I'll have to write up some rules to contribute to this. Should be rather interesting. Especially if someone comes up with rules for a Catachan Devil. Lol.

JxKxR
06-23-2011, 09:47 AM
I'd have to say the process of the planet dying in a matter of 6 turns... silly. it should be one consistent rule that's applied throughout the game.

Do you mean like rolling on a chart for an affect or just one constant rule like (just an example) all terrain is dangerous?

Lord Azaghul
06-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Sounds kind of fun, I like it when TO’s throw stuff like that in for tourneys.

On the planet one, I’d make something that allows units to escape the destruction via leaving the table – player with the most crap off wins!

Quaade
06-23-2011, 11:12 AM
The plant could be made fun, instead of fleeing or losing fearless, instead when the unit has to shoot, they have to pass a morale test regardless of what or they have to shoot against the closest unit, friend or foe as they are overcome with paranoid dellusions that "they are out to get them."

Because nothing is more frustrating than having a unit run off the table you have no control over, other than random luck.

JxKxR
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I thought of a few more.

The Moon or just a small planet
Low Gravity- All infantry acts like jump troops but keep their same movement.

Daemon Worlds

Blood Planet- Leave the middle of the board open and make a circle around the center of the table with a radius of 9 inches. In the circle units get a 4+ cover save. In addition any unit inside the circle is immune to the effects of Psychic powers and units can not use Psychic powers in the circle.

Planet of Tzeentch- Each player begins the game with (I want to say 9, but whatever the sacred number of Tzeentch is) tokens that can be used through out the game to make a player re-roll one die, For ANYTHING, saves, to hits, reserves, etc.

@ Quaade
YES! I like that a lot better.

Grailkeeper
06-23-2011, 06:04 PM
They used to have a lot of stuff like this. ones I remember
Low gravity- add d6 to your movement. High Gravity subtract d6 (difficult terrain might be easier)

Ice, counts as normal terrain but on a roll of a one vehicles fall trhough.

scadugenga
06-23-2011, 06:46 PM
The original RT had a bunch of different terrain-type options to simulate this very idea. I imagine it wouldn't take much to adapt it to 5th ed.

Daemonette666
06-23-2011, 07:23 PM
I think the randomness of some of the very earliest 40K random Scenarios and WD releases that I vaguely remember from back in the 1980's and early 90's would be the ticket.

If I remember correctly, depending on the scenario you chose, there was a table that you rolled on each turn and a random event occurred or did not occur if that result was rolled.

For example:

Volcanic Death World

1 - nothing happens

2 - "If this shaking keeps up, this building will not last much longer Sarge". One randomly rolled terrain piece is destroyed on a D6 roll of 4+. anyone unit on the terrain piece is hit as though inside an exploding vehicle, and vehicles sustain a glancing hit on their side armour. This represents a mountainside avalanche, or petrified forest crumbling around you, or a ruined building falling down. The terrain piece is now rubble (area terrain) and counts as dangerous terrain. This terrain piece cannot be turned into rubble twice ignore further rolls of 2 or 4 on this piece of terrain.

3 - a 6" tear in the earth opens up. roll a scatter dice in the centre of the table and 4 D6 . Mark this point, and roll the scatter dice again to determine the direction of the tear. the 6" tear is then represented on the table using a suitable method. The tear is lava filled, and is impassable and dangerous terrain. If any units or vehicles are covered by this tear then, units take D6 hits and vehicle get a glancing hit on their side armour. Flyers and Skimmers are unaffected unless they are on the ground.

4 - the earth quakes and all unit foot move d6" instead the normal 6". Beasts and gargamtuan creatures 2xD6", vehicles that move over 6" have to take a dangerous terrain test. Each LOS blocking terrain piece (ruins, buildings, Petrified forrests, etc) are destroyed on a 4= roll on D6 and become rubble/craters (area terrain).flyers and Skimmers are unaffected unless they have landed, or are in close combat on the ground/in terrain. Any terrain affected cannot be affected by additional rolls of 2 or 4 on this chart.

5 - a Large cloud of volcanic gasses crosses the sky blocking out the sun as it passes over. this turn uses the night fighting rules. Skimmers and flyers have to take a dangerous terrain test to account for the ash clogging up their engine intakes vents.

6 - volcanic explosion in the area. Debris in the form of volcanic rocks and lave ejected from the volcano rains down on the entire battlefield. each unit and vehicle takes a hit on a D6 roll of 5+. Vehicle are hit by a STR 8 AP4 hit on their side armour, units - roll a D6 to determine the number of STR 6, AP 4 taken by the unit.

This will give a random effect to the whole game and allow for nothing to happen as well. It also makes the game more interesting, as you can not account for known factors, which will make your tactics harder to work out. It does lengthen the game, but you have more fun.

This might be something like what you are looking for. You would have to make a chart up for each type of world you are playing on. and maybe a master chart for the type of terrain/planet you are fighting on.

wkz
06-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Ork Rok Madness:
7 turn game. One single "control room" objective in the middle of the table.

Rules are simple: the Defender have to do 2 things:
- hold the objective for 2 player turns (non-consecutive, non-contested) to attempt to "steer" the Rok away from planetfall.
- after performing that, wreck the 12-12-12 "glance or pent = destroy" objective on the turn after, to prevent the Orks from correcting the Rok's path.

The Orkz just have to hold out for all 7 turns.

Victory (for defender)
- Objective is "obtained", then destroyed
Draw
- Objective is "obtained" but not destroyed
Loss (for defender)
- Objective have not been held in any way by defenders.
MAJOR LOSS for BOTH SIDES, ALL players in the room must BOO both players for this one.
- Objective is "accidently" (or otherwise) destroyed by any player before it is "obtained" by the defender :D

Inspired by a White Dwarf apocalypse article quite a while back...

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
06-23-2011, 08:47 PM
I thought of one on a planet with an acidic atmosphere kinda like Venus where is rains sulphoric acid daily

Turn 1- every unit takes d3 str3 wounds
Turn2- d3 str4 wounds
turn3- d3 str4 hits, all vehicles takes a glance
turn4-every unit take d3 str4 hits all vehicles are now considered opened topped(due to corosion)
turn5- every unit takes 1d6 str 5 hits all vehicles takes penetrating shot
turn6 and beyond same as five but i doubt youll get there lol

yes no?

love the thread:D:D

Thornblood
06-24-2011, 04:42 AM
Resident Creatures

Not all creatures run and hide at the sight of conflict. Many battles have been won or lost because of the ingenuity or stupidy of a commanders use of the local fauna.

Docile Herd Animals; Such as grox (use cold ones), dairy animals, snow ox, certain knarlocs and squigs, dinosaurs (see the eisenhorn trilogy), spined Rhodox, Horn head.

Before deployment place the herd in a random location 12" from any board edge. Make the herd fit within the large blast template . The herd blocks line of sight or provides cover depending on how large the models in question are. If on a regular 25mm sized base the models have toughness 3, on a 40mm base or a bike base toughness 4. On a 65mm base all models have toughness 4+D3. For ease of play I recommend they also only have one wound. Before each player turn the unit will scatter 2D6". If the unit was attacked (shot or melee), in the following turn they will move 3D6 directly away from their aggressor. If they come to a board edge remove them and each player may now roll for them as if they were reserves at the start of their turn. They must enter the board edge within 12" of where they left it.

You may want to give it any other special rules you cant invent which are appropriate. Giant Space Tortoises for instance may have a 3+ armour save and be immune to instant death.

Defensive Animals These animals are going to stand thier ground and defend it if they perceive a threat. Certain knarlocs and squigs, forms of ursa such as the cthellan cudbear, Verdikine, Sinqua, some mutants, demi-pachyderm, Ovigor, Ploughfoot.

Deploy within a randomly allocated terrain feature 12" from any board edge. This is what they will defend. If any unit moves within 12" of that terrain feature, the unit must pass a leadership check not to disturb or bait the animal. If they fail, the creature charges (assume it has a 12" charge range). Use a relevant profile, if none is available treat them as a marine with two hand weapons wearing only flak armor (5+). For very large creatures (carnifex/wraithlord sized) add a single D3 to the Strength, toughness and attacks and wounds of the same creature and they gain the 'Monstrous Creature' USR. The creatures will attack any model that first attacks them, even if that model is a vehicle.

Shooting Defensive Animals
Many defensive animals have natural ranged weapons. If this is the case on the model instead of charging the animal/s will fire on those who disturb it/ attack it. If the animals have been attacked they return fire in every player turn starting from the moment the aggressors shooting unit has been finished. They may only shoot once per player turn.

They have weapons as follows; Range 12", Strength as model and AP D6 (roll every turn) Type Assault- they have the same number of shots as the model has attacks.

It may be appropriate to give some large models two of these.

Aggressive Animals
Will hunt down and kill anything they deem as prey. Pack animals may take on units vastly bigger or larger than them and prevail. They cover nearly every mentioned animal in the 40k universe including Ferro-beasts Dracoliths, Carnyx, Carnodons, Althak, Astral Hounds, Psyinxs, megadons etc etc

Behaviour; The animals operate at the start of each player turn. Their behavior changes on a successful leadership check with a -2 modifier. This will go up to -4 if the thier current target has attacked them in any way.
1. Pick off the sick and weak; They attack the cheapest model on the tabletop (in points)
2. We are alpha! They attack the physically tallest model on the tabletop
3. Territorial Threat! They attack the closest model on the tabletop with the largest base.
4. The colours... They attack the brightest model on the tabletop.
5. Grrrr... They attack the closest model on the tabletop.
6. Yes master. They obey the controlling player.

If there is an existing profile for the unit (fenrisian wolves/ clawed fiends etc) use that. If not use the above defensive animal profile with the following changes.

Roll a D6 a number of times on the chart (as many as you and your opponent deem appropriate. I suggest D3;
1. The animal gets +D3 WS
2. The animal gets poisoned(D6) USR (roll once)
3. The animal counts as cavalry
4. The animal is fleet
5. The animal is fearless
6. The animal gets Furious Charge

If armoured, give it an appropriate armour save (4+ for heavy armour, 3+ if it has very specialized armour).

In a campaign you have potential to capture beasts.

JxKxR
06-24-2011, 08:14 AM
AWESOME!!! A lot of great stuff, I can't wait to start trying these out.:D

murrburger
06-24-2011, 05:38 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?cmcbp2qheekc6fn

Found a .pdf from the old GW website on my computer. This one details on how to generate an alien beasty.

I hope uploading it is okay. I'll take it down immediately if any of the mods have a problem with it.

If I remember correctly, GW did actually have a ruleset that represented the different kinds of worlds you could fight on. I don't remember if it was in WD, or on their website.

EDIT: Not the one I was thinking, but I found this. It's a little scenario from 4th (I think) edition. Although the layout looks like 3rd...
http://www.mediafire.com/?hyf2xvx51ct82md

Drunkencorgimaster
06-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Disney World. Every turn roll d6 per unit. On a 1, no movement allowed as there are too many tourists blocking the way. On a 6, no shooting allowed as your unit can't afford ammo after paying the entrance fee. Starting turn 4 roll a dice at the beginning of each player phase. On a roll of 1 the Disney Corporation has purchased your army's home planet and you all become Disney Employees. This causes -1 to Morale the rest of the game. If both armies become employees game stops. Players arranged their models to appear to hold hands and sing "It's a Small Universe After All."

wkz
06-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Disney World. Every turn roll d6 per unit. On a 1, no movement allowed as there are too many tourists blocking the way. On a 6, no shooting allowed as your unit can't afford ammo after paying the entrance fee. Starting turn 4 roll a dice at the beginning of each player phase. On a roll of 1 the Disney Corporation has purchased your army's home planet and you all become Disney Employees. This causes -1 to Morale the rest of the game. If both armies become employees game stops. Players arranged their models to appear to hold hands and sing "It's a Small Universe After All."

*On a hill overlooking "Disney World"
Inquisitor: Deathwatch?
Deathwatch Sargent: Yes?
Inquisitor: Kill 'em all
Deathwatch Sargent: Gladly.

:D

Tynskel
06-29-2011, 09:14 PM
This stuff reminds me of the creature feature about 5 years ago. (maybe 7). That was awesome. You build your own creatures, and then you have a xenos clearing game.

Drunkencorgimaster
06-29-2011, 09:21 PM
*On a hill overlooking "Disney World"
Inquisitor: Deathwatch?
Deathwatch Sargent: Yes?
Inquisitor: Kill 'em all
Deathwatch Sargent: Gladly.

:D

Ha!!!

Paul
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
How about an archaeotech world of some kind?

At the beginning of each player turn roll a d6.

1) "We found these wandering the halls..." The player whose turn is beginning gains a unit of d6 Servitors. If no Servitor models are available, nothing happens.

2) "Electromagnetic interference..." Units are at -1 LD this player turn as their radios function sporadically.

3) "Automated defense systems activated!" Each unit on the board is shot at by an unseen Heavy Bolter with Ballistic Skill 4.

4) "Magnetic Sorcery" Any "plasma" weapons are ballistic skill 1 (See Umeathi Plasma Syphon) this turn.

5) "Disruptor shields online!" The player whose turn it is picks a point on the table. The other player picks another point. A straight line between these points becomes impassable for the remainder of the player turn.

6) Rage of the Brazen God: All units in Ruins or Buildings suffer D6 Str 6 hits at AP 3 as the local systems ravage their electronics and nerves. All vehicles suffer a penetrating hit.