PDA

View Full Version : Aging

athalos_gallant
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Lately, I've been interested in trying to "Age-up" the look of some of marines, making them look older, as per a recent white dwarf article. It suggested to add some greys, but I can't seem to find a decent method. Can anyone give me some step by step instructions?

Aegis
09-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Been playing around with that myself, lately. The best success I have been finding is to use a base coat of Tallarn Flesh, with a light wash of devlan mud, then highlight with a 1:1 elf flesh/rotting flesh.

It is not perfect yet, and I am still tinkering around with the mixtures and such, but it is getting me on the way to the look. I will try to hunt down a camera for a picture or two.

athalos_gallant
09-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Yeah, see I tried mixing different shades of grey in with dwarf flesh and the subsequent highlights, but it did do much more than make it look muddied. Also, adding age/expression lines is... difficult.

Aegis
09-03-2009, 09:17 PM
I tried the grey as well, and got an effect that did not quite look right. I think it was because the grey washed out some of the fleshy pigment. It is why I started trying bleached bone and rotting flesh. It had a pallid look that blended nicely with the flesh tones.

As for the age lines, I think it depends on if you are looking for a softer, or harder, aged looked. I found Devlan mud gave me the affect I was looking for, as it hardened the model up, without making it look to odd...

Once again, trying to hunt down a camera.

Engelus
09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
I age my guard tanks by washing with my dirty brush water, works better than you think.

Edit: Oh I see, you meant the Marine himself, not the armor/tanks/company.

you might try simply adding grey streaks to his hair around the temples.