PDA

View Full Version : Improving imperial ships - via torpredoes

Myu
06-21-2011, 07:07 AM
I'm a new guy to BFG (well... rarely played over several years) and I was thinking the Imperial ships always seem a bit less good then the chaos equivalents. Trying to compare weapon strengths, ranges etc I found that imperial torpedoes would have to make an enormous impact in the game to make the ships even - but they don't seem to and so the imperials aren't as good.

Anyone think that the rule "shooting a torpedo wave destroy the whole thing" should be replaced by "each hit destroy 2 markers"? That way smaller fleets could fire a wave of torpedoes at a chaos fleet out of range and have it be a source of fear for more then a single dice roll.

Edit: 22nd June

My thinking goes a bit like this (doesn't include calculations):

Chaos ships tend to have 60cm front firing weapons batteries, are 5 cm faster than imperial ships and shoot a bit further and/or at higher strength with their other guns for the same points (or less).

A strength 6 weapons battery or torpedo salvo by itself is like the gentle patter of rain on an adamantine wall. Chaos ships can combine fire at long ranges to over load shields eventually. Imperials can make scary torpedo salvos which they can probably fire once and see it get shot down in the enemy shooting phase without achieving anything. They then have to pass a special order to fire again. They CAN get similar ranges and fire power on side weapons - but that makes then considerably more expensive.

All this points to the assumption which torpedoes are supposed to be GODLIKE equalizers... in order for this to be true, make it hard to stop a whole wave at range (the current stuff isn't enough). That is, each roll to destroy torpedoes that succeeds should destroy 2, 3 or maybe even 6 torpedoes worth of strength. That means an imperial fleet can fire, have some missiles shot down but have enough that the chaos guys at least have to move aside or take a thwack.

horizon
08-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Imperial Navy:
close with Chaos.
AAF special order. (AAF does not halve loaded ordnance).
launch torpedos at point blank range

:)