PDA

View Full Version : Why GW switched to resin (sort of).

eldargal
06-13-2011, 06:24 AM
In several of the Finecast threads I mentioned that metal miniatures were now extremely expensive to manufacture with low profit margins, and it wasn't just GW that was raising prices. Well I finally managed to find the source, it was the chap that runs Heresy Miniatures (http://www.heresyminiatures.com/), I've bolded some of the relevent bits:

I am shocked and horrified at the latest price for metal. It has risen another 30% since December, which itself had gone up 12% since the price rise in September. I just can't carry on with the prices as they are on the majority of the range. I need to put prices up to maintain profitability. It saddens me to do it, but it means that there is a reason why GW are charging £8.00+ for single figures these days.

To illustrate, when I started out the metal price was £4.65 a kg plus VAT, it is now £23.75/kg plus VAT, which means in order to get bare minimum profits on the heavier figures at trade discount (which is the bugger in all of the pricing problems), and that ignores additional costs such as packaging, labour, a figure like a Deathball Ogre needs to be price at £22.00 each. Currently they are £12.00, with an option to buy them at £8.00 each if you get 5 or more. Something has to give, the disparity is too great. I think they will have to come with less pieces from now on, ie only two random fists not 6, only two heads not 3, just so I can scrape some savings on the RRP. The NL2, it says on my Excel spreadsheet, should really be £154.00 Laughing My *** Off That one's not gonna happen, i'll tell you that. Fortunately, i don't sell it to Trade so i can limit it to around £65.00 RRP Azaroth DOES sell to trade, so he needs to be £55.00 instead of £30.00. Whah? Again, this just means people won't buy him any more. Have to seriously look into getting him resined up. it can't cost as much as the metal does now.

Just a final reminder - some of the bulky monsters, and some of the surprisingly heavy smaller figures are going to go up in price by over double in some cases, assuming that I continue to sell them to trade. The Snow Troll for example is going to have to rise to £32.00 from £15.00, which is outrageous (purely to allow for a whopping trade discount and still be able to turn a decent % profit on the basic metal cost) and is a prime candidate for not selling except directly. Giant Slugs will be £9.00 for 3 instead of £6.00. All the sci-fi range will be moving from £3.50 to £4.00 or £4.50, in some cases up to £6.00 and the heavy weapons types coming in at the £8.00, £9.00 levels.

Two years ago he was probably £20. Back in the days when metal cost less than it did now by a massive amount. In fact, checking my spreadsheet, I think it was £9.25/kg two years ago around April. Now it's £27.32/kg. Hence he no longer costs £20... Sad

I may as well make him in plutonium for all the difference it would make to sales at this point.

Source is here (http://forum-of-doom.com/index.php?topic=14492.0).

Spent ages looking for this, then found it by accident.:rolleyes:

HsojVvad
06-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the hard work Eldargal. Nice to see another opnion that is not GW.

TheBitzBarn
06-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Well if you follow any financial markets you know the cost of all metals are rocketing up for the past 3 years as the Chinese grab all they can because they lack so many raw materials. I understand why they did it, I understand the initial price increase for time to retool but there should be no more finecast price increases as Resin is man made material and they are a big enough player to secure a great rate on the product

daboarder
06-13-2011, 07:25 AM
yup, I've got no more problems with finecast than metal, and I think it likely that most of the teething problems will be gone in a few months (on a side note does anyone remember about 4-5 years ago when GW either introduced a new material or new form of molding and we had similar teething problems, can't for the life of me remember it.)

HOWEVER the pricing is wildly off, if GW is so quick to correct to market prices they should correct to market exchange rates too.

eldargal
06-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Well I've heard the resin they increased the price of Finecast was because they knew they couldn't have justified prices anymore. Of course, we won't know till this time next year if they stop the price rises or not.:rolleyes:

Hell, if they wanted to give their PR a boost they could even announce a price decrease next year, once they have made back some of their conversion costs. I'm not saying they will but they at least could now, not like before when plastics were almost subsidising the rest of the range.

Kirkanos
06-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Well if you follow any financial markets you know the cost of all metals are rocketing up for the past 3 years as the Chinese grab all they can because they lack so many raw materials. I understand why they did it, I understand the initial price increase for time to retool but there should be no more finecast price increases as Resin is man made material and they are a big enough player to secure a great rate on the product

That's not likely now is it, inflation levels the world over are huge, prices always rise, there are a large number of indirect costs to GW prices, not to mention the fact that the I can't think of any raw materials whose prices are dropping.

eldargal
06-13-2011, 07:32 AM
True but now we might see 3% rises instead of 10%. Or 10% every three years or something.

Necron2.0
06-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Hmm. Interesting. I wonder what kind of metal they're using. When I cast my own minis, I use either leadless plumber's solder or else leadless crafting solder (actually, mostly I use plumber's because tacking the world "craft" onto something magically makes it more expensive). I pay around $25 per pound. Doing unit conversion on £27.32/kg, that's equivalent to $20.23/lb. Having had a retailers license before, I know they can get their supplies at anywhere from 25% to 50% off retail (or between $12.50 and $18.75 per pound), and I'm sure they would be buying in bulk and wouldn't be using a worked product like spooled solder. The quality of what I cast is on par with the quality of metals I've seen coming out of GW, and I don't even use a spin caster or anything other than gravity. So I'm curious what type of metal they're using.

Lockark
06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Hmm. Interesting. I wonder what kind of metal they're using. When I cast my own minis, I use either leadless plumber's solder or else leadless crafting solder (actually, mostly I use plumber's because tacking the world "craft" onto something magically makes it more expensive). I pay around $25 per pound. Doing unit conversion on £27.32/kg, that's equivalent to $20.23/lb. Having had a retailers license before, I know they can get their supplies at anywhere from 25% to 50% off retail (or between $12.50 and $18.75 per pound), and I'm sure they would be buying in bulk and wouldn't be using a worked product like spooled solder. The quality of what I cast is on par with the quality of metals I've seen coming out of GW, and I don't even use a spin caster or anything other than gravity. So I'm curious what type of metal they're using.

Most "leadless" solder is Tin with a tiny bit of lead in it to make it pliable.

GW uses thier own leadless pewter formula. A quick Google search can tell you that leadless pewter is made from Tin, Antimony, and copper. GW's pewter is their own "secret recipe" that could have other metals mixed into it.

If you were just casting your minis from straight solder then I will assume you would of noticed yours seem abit more "soft" then GW's minis. The Antimony and copper hardens the pewter and improve casting.

=B

Mauglum.
06-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Moving from an ever more expencive material to a cheaper one to establish more stable pricing, and keep customers by offerng better value for money is a sensible and logical thing to do.;)

EG moving from solid gold to gold plated base metal that offers similar performance.

However , as the new material IS cheaper , why GW didnt keep the prices the same ?
(Eg NOT increse the price )
Purley for PR reasons.

If other manufacturers HALF the price of minatures when switching to resin/plastic.

Then GW plc could have said 'as Fincast resin more economical process, the finecast minatures will be kept at the same prices as the metal minature they replace.They are exempt from the curent price rise.We are passing some of the savings on to you, our loyal customers.'

But replacing the material for a much cheaper one ,(with aparent quality issues, ) AND charging more for the product, is NOT sensible, logical or warranted.