PDA

View Full Version : Brazil = Normal life on a hive world? :L

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
06-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Anybody seen the film Brazil by Terry Gillam? Well it seems so 40k that I thought I had to mention it :'). Bassicaly it's a George Orwell styled Surreal fantasy... About a massive administratum (the story line isn't what I am getting at, the setting is). So anyone seen it? Or has anyone seen any films/books that fit the 40k style of setting :)?

Wildeybeast
06-12-2011, 08:19 AM
I can think of one or two with some parallels, but when I think about it for all GW 'borrows' ideas from other areas, they have managed to make 40K fairly unique, with its mixture or superhuman warriors, ravening aliens, dictatorial human empire and the warp. I guess the key is how they blend all these different fairly generic strands together. I haven't seen Brazil, so I can't really comment about that, but I'm interested to see what else people come up with.

Hive Mind
06-12-2011, 08:21 AM
I saw this on the iPlayer yesterday. I may watch it tonight and save True Grit for the flight. No doubt the movies provided will be total gash as usual.

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
06-12-2011, 09:02 AM
I saw this on the iPlayer yesterday. I may watch it tonight and save True Grit for the flight. No doubt the movies provided will be total gash as usual.

Exactly the reason I mentioned it. Good old iPlayer :L

I agree Wildeybeast, they seem to combine so many random ideas to make it intresting :)

Hive Mind
06-12-2011, 09:40 AM
The iPlayer is really fantastic. I've had exams for the last three weeks so I haven't been able to devote a lot of time to TV. Not that I normally do but there are some shows that are, to me, must-sees.

Thanks to the iPlayer I've been able to see Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle and Psychoville thru to their conclusion. And I'll probably watch Brazil tonight too.

So three cheers for the iPlayer and the BBC. I think the BBC will be the only thing, aside from my family, I'll miss about Blighty.

Unfortunately I can't add to your topic much as I can't really think of many things that are set in a 40k-esque universe... except for... dare I say it..? Dune... And even then only in the broadest sense possible.

BuFFo
06-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Brazil has samurai with guns. It fits just fine with 40k :)

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Brazil has samurai with guns. It fits just fine with 40k :)

and Inqusition style organisations :L. Any idea why it's called Brazil though?

BuFFo
06-12-2011, 01:32 PM
and Inqusition style organisations :L. Any idea why it's called Brazil though?

The film is named after the recurrent theme song, "Aquarela do Brasil".

bfmusashi
06-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Related tangent: since Tim Burton's Batman used the Brazil design aesthetic but with the lights turned down low, what is Batman in 40k?

condottiere
06-13-2011, 02:00 PM
I can't speak for 40K, but in 30K it was Konrad Curze.

Corvus-Master-of-The-4th
06-13-2011, 02:18 PM
I can't speak for 40K, but in 30K it was Konrad Curze.

Most certaintly agreed :L. Oh and thanks Buffo :)

Grailkeeper
06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
I just watched Scum. I'd imagine throw in some weapons training and you have the Schola Progneium.