PDA

View Full Version : Pintle Mount to 360*, or not to 360*, that is da question.

Count Fenring
06-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Ok here's one,

I play Eldar these days. My falcons, serpents, prism/spinners come with twin-linked shuri catapults. By the rule book, these would count as pintle mounted. Most everyone I know who plays Eldar counts them as 360* rotation due to being pintle mounted on a skimmer as they would have line of sight.

But, a couple fella's argue that 360* rotation only counts for being turret mounted and if pintle gun is mounted on a hull, it counts as 45*.

This is counter argued by the Eldar tanks having no treads to hinder their rotation and having line of sight...

What is the general consensus on this?

Nabterayl
06-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Check the rulebook FAQ:

Q: The rules for the arc of fire of pintle-mounted (or bolt-on) weapons address those mounted on turrets and those mounted directly on the hull. But what about those mounted on smaller structures (like a Rhinoʼs cupola) that look like they can rotate 360º, even though they arenʼt proper turrets? (p59)

A: Remember that the rule is: if it looks like you can point the gun at it, then you can, even if itʼs glued in place. The rest is just a set of guidelines about the arcs of fire of weapons glued in place, and does not cover all possible weapons mounting and vehicles. If the structure the gun is pintle-mounted on is obviously capable of rotating 360º, like in the case of a Rhinoʼs cupola, then it should be treated as having a 360º arc of fire. However, if you mount the same storm bolter on a Razorback, even though it still can rotate 360º, it wonʼt obviously be able to fire through the Razorbackʼs main turret, and so it will have a ʻblind spotʼ. In the same way, the shuriken catapult mounted under the hull of a Wave Serpent, Falcon, etc. looks like it can rotate 360º, but it does not look like it can be fired through the main hull right behind it, so we normally play that it can be fired roughly in the 180º to the vehicleʼs front, which seems like an acceptable compromise.

Gotthammer
06-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Also nothing in either the Codex or BRB says the shuriken catapults are pintle mounted (it is a specific term used for some weapons, mostly Imperial) so they'd be hull mounted.

The physical model also doesn't allow room for the guns to turn much anyway, and even if they did the wings and troop bay block LoS for the most part.

Count Fenring
06-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Good one Nabterayl, that settles that one. thx

Tynskel
06-10-2011, 02:18 PM
go FAQ yourself! ;)

Luke Licens
06-10-2011, 03:25 PM
RTFM. Read The FAQ 'n' Manual. :D

Bda_Gamer
06-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Also nothing in either the Codex or BRB says the shuriken catapults are pintle mounted (it is a specific term used for some weapons, mostly Imperial) so they'd be hull mounted.

This answers your question.

wkz
06-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Remember when the new Orkz first came out? Remember GW's answer to Ork tank weaponry? "If you can mount it on a turret, we'll allow the BOOM gun to fire 360. Otherwise it's hull mounted and you can only fire 45".

Same story here, sorta. Take a look at "ye average Falcon/Wave Serpent". Is that gun hull-mounted? Yes. Do you want it hull-mounted? No. Then take a hobby knife and some glue, and start converting that gun!

(Then again, the FAQ for Orkz Vehicle weapon mounting is probably how all the complaints for "modelling for advantage" started in the first place...)

PLUS: the rules (or the FAQ? I can't remember) did say that if something is Pintle mounted BUT is sight-blocked by another section of the vehicle, it will not be able to fire in that direction. I would think the sweeping "wings" of an eldar vehicle will sight-block the hades out of that weapon?

Nabterayl
06-14-2011, 06:47 PM
PLUS: the rules (or the FAQ? I can't remember) did say that if something is Pintle mounted BUT is sight-blocked by another section of the vehicle, it will not be able to fire in that direction. I would think the sweeping "wings" of an eldar vehicle will sight-block the hades out of that weapon?
That's the rulebook FAQ, quoted above, which clarifies that the actual rule is "when firing a vehicle's weapons, point them against the target and then trace the line of sight from each weapons' mounting and along its barrel," and when the rulebook calls the bullet points on page 59 "guidelines," it really means that they "are more like guidelines, than actual rules" (yarr ;)).