PDA

View Full Version : which Foot Sloggers work ?

Deadlift
06-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Well despite my better senses (who needs them) I am thinking of starting another army. Now I know that 5th is all about mech mech mech to some players and I have been playing a mech blood angels army with great success and more importantly its been fun.

However lugging around a huge case full of tanks is getting old especially as I generally ride my bike to most places and the wife has the car.

So in view which all foot slogging army is still viable. Im looking at starting at 1000pts and growing to 1250, 1500 and 1750 pts.

I have a few ideas knocking around but its always great to get another perspective.

over to you :D

Bean
06-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Well despite my better senses (who needs them) I am thinking of starting another army. Now I know that 5th is all about mech mech mech to some players and I have been playing a mech blood angels army with great success and more importantly its been fun.

However lugging around a huge case full of tanks is getting old especially as I generally ride my bike to most places and the wife has the car.

So in view which all foot slogging army is still viable. Im looking at starting at 1000pts and growing to 1250, 1500 and 1750 pts.

I have a few ideas knocking around but its always great to get another perspective.

over to you :D

Dark Angels do a fine foot list. Deathwing Terminators with Thunderhammers, storm shields, and cyclone missile launchers are a strong foot troops choice, and you can back them up with bikes.

Codex marines put out a reasonable biker list. It's not exactly top-tier, but it can certainly be competitive with most stuff.

Tyranids, of course, put out a foot list by default, and it can be good.

An army of Blood Angels Assault Marines isn't, perhaps, the best Blood Angels army, but it's a reasonable middle-tier force, as well. Perhaps even a little bit better than CSM Bikers.

Grey Knights, of course, probably take the cake at the moment. Draigowing or even normal Grey Knight Terminators make for a strong foot-slogging list. Even Purifiers or Strike Squads can make strong foot-sloggers, though, there, you should be buying the Rhino--they don't need it like Grey Hunters or Chaos Marines do, but it's still something they should have.

So, yeah. GKTs, Draigowing, or Deathwing are probably your best bets. There are a handful of others.

PalinMoonstride
06-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Foot IG all the way! Nothing like swamping your side of the table in models!

Calgar33
06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't know how competitive you want your army but IGuard would be a pretty sweet list or the classic Ork army with lots of Boyz. I am always a fan of the gaunt rush for good old Nids.

sgw0040
06-10-2011, 12:34 PM
You can do a Tau battlesuit army. Not top tier but built right can be tough and frustrating for others.
Usinging large kroot squads as shielding for broadsides. Stealthsuits just look cool. and depedning on crisis suit builds can shell out alot of damage.

Denied
06-10-2011, 12:57 PM
If I am not mistaken the great horde armies of the orcs tend to be mostly footslogging boy squads. I saw a LOT of those at adepticon this year.

Cyberscape7
06-10-2011, 01:49 PM
I've done some planning for my new Grey Knights and, in the end it will be totting off at around 3700 points.
No. of foot models= roughly 80
Titan all the way!

thecactusman17
06-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Orks
Guard
Eldar
Blood Angels
Tyranids
Necrons
Dark Angels

Minimal vehicles: Dark Eldar Webway Portal list

Deadlift
06-10-2011, 02:45 PM
I've done some planning for my new Grey Knights and, in the end it will be totting off at around 3700 points.
No. of foot models= roughly 80
Titan all the way!

Is your army purely on foot ?

Luke Licens
06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
If you're looking to minimize your model count for easy transport, any of the Terminator forces would work. Deathwing, Loganwing, Greywing. If you really want just a few good men, go Draigowing. All 2W scoring termintors, all the time. They're all competitive, if slightly limited. Plus, they all look really cool.

Bean
06-10-2011, 05:44 PM
If you're looking to minimize your model count for easy transport, any of the Terminator forces would work. Deathwing, Loganwing, Greywing. If you really want just a few good men, go Draigowing. All 2W scoring termintors, all the time. They're all competitive, if slightly limited. Plus, they all look really cool.

I've been playing a foot Draigo-wing list. It is extremely satisfying.

thecactusman17
06-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Foot Eldar:

Avatar (need that 12" bubble to avoid running off the table)

Farseer w/ spear, guide

Large/Full Guardians x 6 w/ Heavy WEapons

9 Warwalkers w/ double shuriken cannons

Add in a rapid response force like Harlequins etc., and maybe 1-2 squads of Firedragons to keep tanks away from your lines.

This army can put serious hurt on a lot of opponents, don't discount it because of the low BS scores around the board. After everything shoots, you are looking at upwards of 70 S6+ shots a turn.

incenerate101
06-11-2011, 04:22 AM
Another not quite foot slogging but a army that cant be built without vehicles and such is Chaos Demons! Yes its not quite viable in 5th edition YET but its a very fun army to play and NOTHING has a vehicle lol

Cheese
06-11-2011, 06:06 AM
You could do Harlequin/Pathfinder Eldar. Basically you take 2 Farseers w/ Doom and Fortune, 2 or 3 units of Pathfinders and 3 units of Harlequins + Wraithlords or War Walkers. The Pathfinders hide behind the Harlequins, gaining a 2+ cover save, holding objectives etc. and the Harlewuins run up the board with the Farseers. The Shadow guy in the Harlequin squads stops them from being shot at until they're maximum 24" away, and that's with double 6's for your opponent to shoot at you. Other than them, he can shoot at the Pathfinders with their 2+ cover or the Walkers/Wraithlords (unless you go with Walkers and outflank them).

This list can work wonders, but it is a serious challenge to learn with. Though after you've got it down you'll be almost unstoppable.

scadugenga
06-11-2011, 09:26 AM
My Guard force is 95% foot. And it's a a lot of fun.

Sure, they die by the bucketfull--but the sheer look of "how can I kill all that in 5-6 turns" expression on my opponent is worth it every time. :)

Brymm
06-11-2011, 11:39 AM
How about Chaos Marines?
I've played against a few pretty neat lists that are actually not mechanized. How about a couple of Lash Princes then 4 or 5 min/maxed squads of Noise Marines with a blastermaster and some Obliterators. I recommend leaving the regular sonic blasters at home though, somewhat of a points sink.
Deep strike in some terminators with combi-meltas to deal with tanks in a pinch and you have an army!

ankhcitizen
06-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Imperial Guard all the way, chimeras? please its a guardsman's duty to die in mud trampled by his own regiment, throw enough guardsmen at the enemy and they'll choke on your dead, transports only take up points that should go into more combined squads!

w7west
06-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Foot eldar is definitely a good choice for a fun and strong army to play. If you like to make castles this army does it really well. Generally speaking footdar works well with combinations of the following units:

Eldrad : redeploy is good. 3 psychic powers a turn let you guide twice and still fortune avatar.

Avatar : Everything within 12" being fearless is a big enough reason. Other than making your army fearless the avatar is a serious beast with eldrad around to buff him.

Pathfinders : 2+ cover saves, infiltrate, 36" snipers make these an excellent troop unit. Not much moves these guys outside of flamers and assault.

Harlies: Perfect countercharge unit. With doom + fortune this squad can be pretty bold taking down bloodcrushers/twolfs/ other real nasty squads. They cannot be shot by long range firepower so you will get to use a full strength squad when you need it.

Wraithlord : with guide make decent antitank. Use these guys with lance/missile to take on the heavier vehicles since your pathfinders can handle most transports. Also a great speedbump/countercharge unit. At t8, these guys can take a lot of high strength shots especially if they are getting fortuned cover saves.

Wraithguard : This squad is really expensive but pretty good thing to have for your castle. T6 troops are no joke and generally these guys are so tough you can use them to take all the assaults and hold them there for the countercharge. For troop this squad will be around 400 with warlock.

The main problem with this kind of foot list is competing for objectives on the other side of the board. If you can't work your way there through assaults with harlies there isn't much else that can. Keep that in mind when setting up your pathfinders. Scorpions can fill this roll as well as pretty much anything with a jetbike.

Bean
06-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Foot eldar is definitely a good choice for a fun and strong army to play. If you like to make castles this army does it really well. Generally speaking footdar works well with combinations of the following units:

Eldrad : redeploy is good. 3 psychic powers a turn let you guide twice and still fortune avatar.

Avatar : Everything within 12" being fearless is a big enough reason. Other than making your army fearless the avatar is a serious beast with eldrad around to buff him.

Pathfinders : 2+ cover saves, infiltrate, 36" snipers make these an excellent troop unit. Not much moves these guys outside of flamers and assault.

Harlies: Perfect countercharge unit. With doom + fortune this squad can be pretty bold taking down bloodcrushers/twolfs/ other real nasty squads. They cannot be shot by long range firepower so you will get to use a full strength squad when you need it.

Wraithlord : with guide make decent antitank. Use these guys with lance/missile to take on the heavier vehicles since your pathfinders can handle most transports. Also a great speedbump/countercharge unit. At t8, these guys can take a lot of high strength shots especially if they are getting fortuned cover saves.

Wraithguard : This squad is really expensive but pretty good thing to have for your castle. T6 troops are no joke and generally these guys are so tough you can use them to take all the assaults and hold them there for the countercharge. For troop this squad will be around 400 with warlock.

The main problem with this kind of foot list is competing for objectives on the other side of the board. If you can't work your way there through assaults with harlies there isn't much else that can. Keep that in mind when setting up your pathfinders. Scorpions can fill this roll as well as pretty much anything with a jetbike.

Eldrad can't guide twice in a turn, now--no-one can. Eldar kinda got hit with the recent FAQ.

Jetbike farseer and warlock squad might be a better call.

Wraithlords are lousy anti-tank, with guide or without it. Missile launcher warwalkers are the way to go against most stuff. Against land raiders, there's not a whole lot this foot army can bring that isn't lousy--a farseer/warlock squad can get it with witchblades or singing spears or the Wrathguard can get it with their guns, if your opponent isn't paying attention.

Actually, Swooping hawks are a reasonable call. With Haywire Grenades and Intercept, they're pretty likel to kill a land raider. They'll prolly die afterwards, but still.

I think you're proabably looking at a Jetbike Farseer with a seer council, two small squads of pathfinders, one ten-man, warlock wraithguard squad, one big squad of harlequins, one big squad of swooping hawks, and four-to-six missile launcher warwalkers.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
06-29-2011, 12:08 PM
I wrote a no mech space wolves list awhile back and it is fast and devastating

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=13189

SaganGree
06-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Eldrad can't guide twice in a turn, now--no-one can. Eldar kinda got hit with the recent FAQ.

Actually... I believe that the Staff specifically states that he can cast the same power twice. However, this is a wargear ability, therefore he can only cast the same power twice if he is not in Close combat.

thecactusman17
06-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Eldrad has rules that specifically allow him to cast the same power twice, but it is specific in how it works: first he must cast two powers, then and only then may he recast the first power or a yet-unused power. The second power may not be recast.

w7west
06-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Wraithlords are lousy anti-tank, with guide or without it. Missile launcher warwalkers are the way to go against most stuff. Against land raiders, there's not a whole lot this foot army can bring that isn't lousy--a farseer/warlock squad can get it with witchblades or singing spears or the Wrathguard can get it with their guns, if your opponent isn't paying attention.

Actually, Swooping hawks are a reasonable call. With Haywire Grenades and Intercept, they're pretty likel to kill a land raider. They'll prolly die afterwards, but still.

I think you're proabably looking at a Jetbike Farseer with a seer council, two small squads of pathfinders, one ten-man, warlock wraithguard squad, one big squad of harlequins, one big squad of swooping hawks, and four-to-six missile launcher warwalkers.

Actually Eldrad can double up on any power and is amazing on foot.

*Eldar are lousy anti-tank. Wraithlords are eldar. They are still a great choice for foot armies because they can serve multiple roles as guided anti heavy tanks, counterassault, and speed bump. Plus they are dead 'ard in cover at t8.

Don't need to spend 300 points on hawks to assault a land raider when you take lances on the wraithlords. Also the avatar, other than making your army fearless, has a high bs melta shot. If **** really starts hitting the fan the wraithguard can light up a land raider and take the assault from whatever comes out.

Blood Lord Soldado
06-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Kan Wall is like foot Orks right?

house_cawdor
08-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Eldrad's staff specifically allows him cast two of the same powers + an additional. It is part of his wargear's effect...

AngelsofDeath
08-18-2011, 01:38 PM
I run a Blood Angels DoA list. I bet you already have most of the models. For the Ard Boys I had 69 models which included:

Dante
Sang Priest x3
Sang Guard (chapter banner)
Assault Squads ( 5x10 man squads)
Vanguard Vets (10 man)

Had an assortment of meltas, plasma pistols, power weapons, storm shields, and lots of melta bombs. Did really well, fun army to play, fast list, no hiding you just have to go for it.

DarkLink
08-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Having played with and against some lately, GKs are fantastic foot armies. Honestly, I think that GKs are the only army that can really pull off a top level competitive pure foot list. No other army has as many potent assault weapons to kill just about anything within a 30" range, plus all the various support elements (psyrifle dreads, Grand Master, etc) to make it really work.