PDA

View Full Version : Purifiers and nothing but

BrokenWing
06-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Almost nothing but anyway.

Please keep in mind I run my own Chapter and not Grey Knights. A fluff overview is posted in the "tell me your army background" thread if you're really curious. Also this list is supposed to be heavily fluffy for my army (my purifiers existed before GW's did, but they work in a very similar fashion to the Grey Knight ones) and at least somewhat competitive, though it is not meant for tournaments.

I realize there is a heck of a lack of anti-tank, but in an average random game in which I'd be playing this list, I'm not likely to run into 15 tanks.

HQ:

The Master Purifier (Crowe): 150

The Keeper of the Flame (Librarian): Quicksilver, Might of Titan, Sanctuary, The Shrouding, 3 Servo Skulls, Daemon Hammer- 190

Elites:

Vindicare Assassin- 145

Venerable Dreadnought: Twin-Linked Autocannon, Assault Cannon, Psybolt Ammo- 195

Flamespeaker (Techmarine): Force Sword- 95

Troops:

10 Purifiers: Four Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo- 280

10 Purifiers: Four Incinerators, Halberds, Psybolt ammo- 280

Heavy Support:

Land Raider Redeemer: Multi-melta, Psyflame ammo, Psybolt ammo- 275

newtoncain
06-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Why Force sword on tech marine? That unit only has 1 attack and no option for a PP or BP so you can't get 2 CCW.

BrokenWing
06-06-2011, 02:44 PM
No idea to be perfectly honest. Entirely open to changing it to something else. I never use techmarines, wanted to change that in this list. If I remember correctly, it was one of those here's 5 random points I need to spend to be at 3,000 situations.

Bean
06-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Psybolt ammo isn't worth it on these purifier squads. Halberds are good, but consider bringing one hammer per squad--it's useful if you have to charge tanks (which you will likely have to do often.)

The point costs on your Purifier units are wrong. Remember that the guys who buy psycannons and incinerators don't get halberds.

Finally, Psyflame ammo isn't really a good buy. S6 is plenty good enough against pretty much everything those flamers are good against anyway. Honestly, I'm not entirely convinced that Raiders are a good buy. I think Ravens might be better.

Purifier/Psycannon squads should look like this:

300 : 10x Purifiers, 5x Halberds, 4x Psycannons, McHammer

Combat-y Purifier squads should either look like this:

260 : 10x Purifiers, 5x Halberds, 4x Incinerators, McHammer, or
268 : 10x Purifiers, 9x Halberds, McHammer

Honestly, given the combat performance you lose giving up those halberds (no force weapons on incinerator guys) incinerators might just not be a good call for those squads you've got in the Raiders.

Also, at 3000 points, this isn't just a little short on anti-tank--it's woefully short. Not only is it not uncommon for 3000 point armies to get up around 15 tanks, it wouldn't take nearly that many to give this list fits.

BrokenWing
06-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Psybolt ammo isn't worth it on these purifier squads. Halberds are good, but consider bringing one hammer per squad--it's useful if you have to charge tanks (which you will likely have to do often.)

The point costs on your Purifier units are wrong. Remember that the guys who buy psycannons and incinerators don't get halberds.

Finally, Psyflame ammo isn't really a good buy. S6 is plenty good enough against pretty much everything those flamers are good against anyway. Honestly, I'm not entirely convinced that Raiders are a good buy. I think Ravens might be better.

Purifier/Psycannon squads should look like this:

300 : 10x Purifiers, 5x Halberds, 4x Psycannons, McHammer

Combat-y Purifier squads should either look like this:

260 : 10x Purifiers, 5x Halberds, 4x Incinerators, McHammer, or
268 : 10x Purifiers, 9x Halberds, McHammer

Honestly, given the combat performance you lose giving up those halberds (no force weapons on incinerator guys) incinerators might just not be a good call for those squads you've got in the Raiders.

Also, at 3000 points, this isn't just a little short on anti-tank--it's woefully short. Not only is it not uncommon for 3000 point armies to get up around 15 tanks, it wouldn't take nearly that many to give this list fits.

You're probably right on the Psybolt ammo for the combat Purifier squads. It's just a natural reflex for me to randomly hand out psybolt ammo.

You're certainly right about the Hammers, I've been adjusting my lists to all have a hammer or two in each squad and in my haste to finish this list, forgot to do that.

Points, oops.

Thinking about it, I agree about the psyflame ammo. Disagree about the Land Raiders on the two principals that I love Redeemers and in my army fluff so do my Purifiers. If it doesn't use fire, they don't ride in it. (yes, they're a little crazy)

I think what I'll do is drop the 4 Incinerators down to 2, that way I can keep the fluff aspect of the squads without losing too much in the way of combat prowess.

As for the anti-tank, this list will be fielded almost entirely amongst friends and probably mostly in team games. I might toy with putting a little more anti-tank in there somewhere, but overall I'm not worried about it. In this area if it's not a tournament game I tend to fight only a small handful of tanks that the psycannons and weapons on the Redeemers will be able to take care of without much difficulty. In team games I can rely on an ally to help with anti-tank.

Ultimately, this isn't a common list, certainly not one I'd be willing to take to a tournament. This is one of those lists I will field from time to time when I think it will be fun to just field Purifiers. More importantly though, I will take squads from this list in other lists when I field a Purifier squad or two in them, so I definitely want to get my individual squads as effective as possible.

Bean
06-06-2011, 05:23 PM
You're probably right on the Psybolt ammo for the combat Purifier squads. It's just a natural reflex for me to randomly hand out psybolt ammo.

You're certainly right about the Hammers, I've been adjusting my lists to all have a hammer or two in each squad and in my haste to finish this list, forgot to do that.

Points, oops.

Thinking about it, I agree about the psyflame ammo. Disagree about the Land Raiders on the two principals that I love Redeemers and in my army fluff so do my Purifiers. If it doesn't use fire, they don't ride in it. (yes, they're a little crazy)

I think what I'll do is drop the 4 Incinerators down to 2, that way I can keep the fluff aspect of the squads without losing too much in the way of combat prowess.

As for the anti-tank, this list will be fielded almost entirely amongst friends and probably mostly in team games. I might toy with putting a little more anti-tank in there somewhere, but overall I'm not worried about it. In this area if it's not a tournament game I tend to fight only a small handful of tanks that the psycannons and weapons on the Redeemers will be able to take care of without much difficulty. In team games I can rely on an ally to help with anti-tank.

Ultimately, this isn't a common list, certainly not one I'd be willing to take to a tournament. This is one of those lists I will field from time to time when I think it will be fun to just field Purifiers. More importantly though, I will take squads from this list in other lists when I field a Purifier squad or two in them, so I definitely want to get my individual squads as effective as possible.

Sounds reasonable.

BrokenWing
06-06-2011, 05:43 PM
HQ:

The Master Purifier (Crowe): 150

The Keeper of the Flame (Librarian): Quicksilver, Might of Titan, Sanctuary, The Shrouding, 3 Servo Skulls, Daemon Hammer- 190

Elites:

Vindicare Assassin- 145

Venerable Dreadnought: Twin-Linked Autocannon, Assault Cannon, Psybolt Ammo- 195

Flamespeaker (Techmarine): Orbital strike relay -140

Troops:

10 Purifiers: Two Incinerators, 6 Halberds, Two hammers- 262

Heavy Support:

Land Raider Redeemer: Multi-melta, Psybolt ammo- 260

Still trying to figure out what on earth to do with the last 54 points. I thought about dropping the dread and taking a pair of lascannon dedicated Razorbacks that would be used just for their extra firepower.

Bean
06-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Drop the Techmarine and the Hammer from the Librarian (he doesn't really need it) and bring a second venerable dreadnought. Techmarines are underwhelming, even with Orbital Relay. Those fire-support Ven Dreads, on the other hand, are pretty excellent.