PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching to Vallejo

Deadlift
06-03-2011, 02:31 PM
I am thinking of making the switch from gw paints to Vallejo, the pissing about with the new bottle lids that don't stay open etc etc and the prices of the paint has made me think about switching. I am looking at buying this

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/Vallejo-Paints/Game-Color/Game-Color-Box-Set-72-colours-3-brushes-carry-case-/prod_8686.html

what do you guys think of these products ?

MaltonNecromancer
06-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I like them and would recommend them.

There's an excellent variety of shades and tones (unlike GW where everything's in bold colours, Vallejo has things like more subdued shades, as well as "grimier" ones which I particularly rate). Other than that, they're a bit much of a muchness. No real difference in quality that I've experienced. There's probably something there if you really care, but they work almost identically to GW paints.

Emerald Rose Widow
06-03-2011, 07:42 PM
I have my whole set of paints in the game colour line, so yeah, this is what I use and they are really easy to work with and have a very broad line of different colours. I especially love that they carry an ink line in a variety of colours, they definitely are good to work with and have variety.

eldargal
06-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I use both, though mostly GW for paints I have to admit. I do use Vallejo satin varnish exclusively though, ideal for Eldar in my opinion. You certainly wouldn't regret using their paints.

fade_74
06-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Ever try Reaper master series paints? I'm gonna start phasing out most of my GW stuff for those. I find they have very nice coverage even when thinned. The consistency is also very "slick" "non gritty" hell I don't know how to put it...but I like the way they go on, and the way the feel on the brush. The triad idea is also nice, where you get a shade, a midtone, and a highlight all of the same color.

fuzzbuket
06-04-2011, 02:25 AM
use both vallejo is awsome for some things and useless at othere

pros:
squeezy bottle
cheap
good quality
nice range of colours
lots in the bottle

cons
squeezy bottle : someimes it gets clogged OR FAR TOOO MUCH comes out (my yellow one hates me)
dont thin well: so for glazes and OSL they are uselss
gw has better metallic ones
cant make washes with them

frankly have GW colours (or humbrol acryllics NOT REVEL ACRYLLICS) for basecoats and vallejow for highlights (and mix with GW )

hope this helps

-fuzz

elmir
06-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Depends on what line of vallejo you use.

Silver metallics: get the vallejo air series. Best and finest metallic pigments you can get.

Gold metallics: Vallejo liquid gold series. Best gold color by miles.

Old inks: The vallejo game color series still has them, and I still use them a lot (because they have a more vibrant color).

Different colors: The vallejo model color series has different (and often very interesting) shades that the GW range (or the vallejo clone: the game color series) doesn't have.

In any case, I prefer the squeeze bottles over the closed lid pots that GW uses. The paint doesn't dry out as often, although you sometimes have to clean out the bottlecaps.