PDA

View Full Version : Mantic ARE doing Sci-Fi: Warpath

MC Tic Tac
06-03-2011, 11:53 AM
So, Mantic are moving into Sci-fi. Alpha testing of rules for those who have "Backstage Pass membership", from Beasts of War here. Mantic will send out information within their newsletter at some point, presumably Beta rules.

At least 8 races with a "we don't talk about the 8th race" thing going on, with miniatures on round bases. Unit by unit game, a-la Kings of War.

So, what do we think of this? I'll be very interested to see development on this thing, it certainly seems very interesting.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/adept_astartes/warpath.jpg

wittdooley
06-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm intrigued, but not yet interested. They're going to have to show me more than they presently have in the fantasy lines (there's nothing wrong with the models, I just don't like the aesthetic--though I do have a pack of ghouls I like) to get me interested. I'm always up for new models!

Chronowraith
06-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I'll keep my eye out for the minis when they are released, however, I'm skeptical at this point. I really don't like any of the Kings of War models. Some are "okay" but most I find fairly uninspired or just plain hideous.

Still, you never know. They might push out some really interesting figures. We'll just have to wait and see what they have in store for us in the future.

eldargal
06-03-2011, 10:30 PM
If their Space Elves are compatible with Eldar and look half decent (unlike their regular Elves) I will be pleased. But I'm going in with low expectations, I was too dissapointed by their KoW ranges (except undead).

mikethefish
06-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't know, both their orcs and undead ranges are FAR superior to any undead or orc range that GW is currently doing. Their dwarves (both normal and abyssal) are also fairly neat, though I can't say I am happy with their elf range. Personally - as long as it's not a rehash of GW stuff, i am certainly interested.

lobster-overlord
06-04-2011, 08:43 PM
THe one sketch of a Hummer-esque vehicle is very nice. similar to the GIJoe Hammer vehicle from the 90's. My FLGS carries everything from Mantic, so I'm definitely picking some up when it hits.

John M>

eldargal
06-04-2011, 11:26 PM
The undead certainly, but their Orcs look like shaved skaven.

I don't know, both their orcs and undead ranges are FAR superior to any undead or orc range that GW is currently doing. Their dwarves (both normal and abyssal) are also fairly neat, though I can't say I am happy with their elf range. Personally - as long as it's not a rehash of GW stuff, i am certainly interested.

lobster-overlord
06-05-2011, 06:42 AM
We received a couple of the mantic orc sprues about two weeks ago. The two baby orcs on the sprue are great base fillers. I love the little bits they put on the various sprue. Can't wait to see what little stuff is on the sci-fi stuff.

Lexington
06-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Heh. Squats in plastic? Oh, this'll get some people going.

Really, more than the miniatures, I'm curious about the rules. KoW has a nice, simple rules set, like Warhammer Fantasy if it were unmoored from the company-dictated compatibility with older products. If Warpath does the same thing, I can't imagine it'll be long before we see some 40K army lists for it. Might be fun to give 'em a shot.

Lockark
06-05-2011, 04:40 PM
I like the Space Dwarf Half-Track/Trike thing, with the armored turret. I also like the Half-Track Humvee sketch, with the Lighting cannon thing on top. Very interesting.

The Voltron Lion things look WAY to silly to me. I'm hoping thows are sketches they opted not to use. D=

But what it realy going to have to sell this line to me to want to put down money, is the infantry. If they can put out something I can use as gaurds men and not look like *** like most sci-fi troopers, I will be interested.

(Thier are some realy bad austetic design issues and troupes many sci-fi troop miniatures make, many seem to stem from the WORST design choices behind the GW IG plastics.

(Was a huge fan of the old metals, but the newer gaurd plastics all look terrible to me.)

Chronowraith
06-05-2011, 05:15 PM
The undead certainly, but their Orcs look like shaved skaven.

That's an insult to Skaven everywhere. I take personal offense :D

Truthfully though, I agree. In my opinion the Mantic Orcs look horrible.

mikethefish
06-05-2011, 09:14 PM
That's an insult to Skaven everywhere. I take personal offense :D

Truthfully though, I agree. In my opinion the Mantic Orcs look horrible.

I can't really see how either you or Eldargal can say that. The Mantic Orcs look like a creature that actually might want to form an army with his numerous brethren and kill stuff. They have a serious and gritty feel that GW Orcs lack in a huge way. GW Orcs look like someone's idea of a joke. A nicely sculpted joke, admittedly, but a joke nonetheless. They look ridiculous and cartoonish, as if their chief opponents would be Scooby and the gang, rather than heroes in a fantasy (or sci-fi) saga.

I think Mantic Orcs will appeal to those who find GW's old cockney silliness more than a bit tiresome.

Chronowraith
06-05-2011, 10:20 PM
I can't really see how either you or Eldargal can say that. The Mantic Orcs look like a creature that actually might want to form an army with his numerous brethren and kill stuff. They have a serious and gritty feel that GW Orcs lack in a huge way. GW Orcs look like someone's idea of a joke. A nicely sculpted joke, admittedly, but a joke nonetheless. They look ridiculous and cartoonish, as if their chief opponents would be Scooby and the gang, rather than heroes in a fantasy (or sci-fi) saga.

I think Mantic Orcs will appeal to those who find GW's old cockney silliness more than a bit tiresome.

To me the Mantic ones look like body builders with ballerina legs. If they fixed that problem then I'd think more highly of them as that is my primary complaint.

As far as GW Orks (Orcs) they have grown much less cartoony over the years. The current iteration is far better and less cartoony than the stuff they put out in the 80s and early 90s. Personally, I think GW hit a nice balance between comical and threatening with the current models.

That being said, all of this comes down to personal taste, which is a highly subjective matter. You like the Mantic ones better, I prefer the GW ones better.

eldargal
06-05-2011, 11:28 PM
I just find them completely uninspiring with more than a little resemblence to shaved ratmen. I'm not saying they are bad (unlike the Mantic Dwarfs which are a disgrace on every possible level), just that they are really rather silly looking and uninspired. For the record I don't much like GW Orcs or Orcs in general.

MarneusCalgar
06-08-2011, 07:47 AM
If Mantic takes this seriously, and with low prices, If I were GW´s Staff would be a little worried...

Good luck to Alessio and all that Mantic guys!!

eldargal
06-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice to see Mantic are sticking with the 80s miniature range vibe:
http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Leaked-Mantic-Sci-Fi-Pictures-C.jpg
http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Leaked-Mantic-Sci-Fi-Pictures-D.jpg

Delightful.:rolleyes:

robertsjf
06-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Nice to see Mantic are sticking with the 80s miniature range vibe:
Delightful.:rolleyes:

did we not like the 80's?

Mauglum.
06-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi all.
Perhaps no-one wants to talk about the elephant in the room...so I shall.

40k, great minatures, pants rule set.

Warpath may be a great rule set that the 40k minatures have been waiting13 years for!

Alessio can write with clarity brevity and wit.
Even if the minature range doesn not appeal to your asthetic preferences , game play focused rules migh be VERY appealing.;)

eldargal
06-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Its rather ironic when you consider Alessio was responsible for one of the most unpopular codices GW ever produced (CSM). He even took full responsibility recently, absolving Gav Thorpe.:rolleyes:

Personally I expect you will be right, the ruleset will be solid if dull and the models range will be rubbish to everyone except the most embiteered anti-GW defector.:p (tongue in cheek. Partly)

Lemt
06-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Well, I'm liking what I see in the alpha rules (yes they are out already). It could have had deeper gameplay, but then again half of the allure of Mantic games is the simple rules. If the minis are good enough I'll surely get myself an army. Also, the rules for Aircraft seem pretty good to me.

Jay Adan
06-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Well, I'm liking what I see in the alpha rules (yes they are out already). It could have had deeper gameplay, but then again half of the allure of Mantic games is the simple rules. If the minis are good enough I'll surely get myself an army. Also, the rules for Aircraft seem pretty good to me.

I like simple rules. Unfortunately, The KoW rules aren't simple - they're workmanlike. They have all of the basic elements that need to be in a rules set in order to get from point A (the start of the game) to point B (determining a winner of the battle) without any real style or flair. There's nothing there to really get me excited about playing the game.

I think the problem is that the rules were an afterthought to a set of minis that was really meant to be used as an alternative to another game (Warhammer) as opposed to being created to bring their own world to life.

I hope that Warpath doesn't suffer from this lack of creative spark.

Lemt
06-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Well, there's certainly no fluff or backstory available yet, so not much I can say about it. However, I WOULD welcome special rules on the different units. Right now all the units from the 2 factions with rules are just differen stats and weapons.

Mauglum.
06-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Jay Aden.
All types of gamers like all sorts of rules.So you just pick the rule set you like best...:D

Eldargal.
In reguard to 'that Chaos Dex'
IF the gamers EXPECT loads of overcomplication that leads to heavy strategic focus.Then it not suprising they dont like something that doesnt live up to thier expectations....

Please remeber GW has had over 2 decades to work on thier background and rules.
Mantci have not even relesed thier new sci fi game yet.
And the KoW is only just out of BETA.

So come back in 10 years and we might get a fairer comparision...:D

wittdooley
06-16-2011, 06:57 AM
So come back in 10 years and we might get a fairer comparision...:D

What you mean is iff they're around in ten years, have sold over a million copies of a video game, and have a heathly and profitable literature line, right?

Verilance
06-18-2011, 07:01 PM
My two cents...

I would like Mantic a great deal more if their major marketing didn't seem to be "let's sell models to disgruntled GW players" and came up with their own races.

They seriously lost any credibility they may have had with me after ORX

Mauglum.
06-19-2011, 05:36 AM
Verilence.
Mantic are selling to gamers that like big battles with lots of minatures.
They provide straight forward rules that let large games be played as easily as smaller games .
And the provide a range of minatures at competative prices, that allow large armies to be built quickly.

Concidering GW plc '..is in the buisness of selling toy soldiers to kidies...' acording to Tom Kirby Chairman of GW plc.

How can Mantic be 'targeting disgruntled GW customers?'
As Mantic are quite clearly targeting a different demoghraphic to GW plc.:D

And using the standard tropes of fantasy is what most minature companies do.
If I want fantasy dwarves elves orcs etc, there are loads of companies selling them.

Mantic are not making cheap poor quality 'herocic 'scale GW minature clones .
But producing thier own range of TRUE SCALE minatures with thier own asthetic.
(You either like them or you dont.)

wittdooley.
Yes if Mantic Games are stil in buisness in 10 years time.We can compare them to GW with a more fair comparison.
AFAIK, GW only had TTMG after being in busness for 10 years.(1977 to 1987.)

Verilance
06-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Then they should release a race that is not easily transferred or pre existing in Warhammer or 40K then I will believe you that they are not marketing to GW players.

I imagine more people use the models to play GW games than actually waited for the release of the Kings of War rule set.

Kovnik Obama
06-19-2011, 03:48 PM
What you mean is iff they're around in ten years, have sold over a million copies of a video game, and have a heathly and profitable literature line, right?

Yes, that's what he meant by ''comparing''. You just successfully used a word. Congratulations.

Also, litterature?!?!? Litterature refers to written art, not written ****. I would allow some of Abnett's work to be called litterature, by extension, but thats all.

Mauglum.
06-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Hi Verilance.
You mean you dont like Mantic relaeseing the standard TOLKEN races in fantasy like GW did?
And Grenadier, and Ral Patha etc ,did before GW.

For 35 years Games comnpanies have realses thier own take on the standard TOLKEN fantasy races.
But you expect Mantic Games to do something radicaly different in its infancy, jepardising it future?

As far as I am aware we live in a democracy where people have the freedom to chose what they buy.

I know LOTS of gamer that moves from WHFB to KoW because the rule set suits them better.
GW plc is NOT the only game in town.(Despite how hard GW try to convince you otherwise.)

You pay your money and makes your chioce.
I am not going to try to tell you what to buy.(I wil leave that to GW.:D)

Happy gaming

Verilance
06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Hi Verilance.
You mean you dont like Mantic relaeseing the standard TOLKEN races in fantasy like GW did?
And Grenadier, and Ral Patha etc ,did before GW.

Happy gaming

no I was talking about releasing Orx as the first race for Warpath, I will also not tell you what to buy however I find their marketing strategy for their model ranges to be cheesy at best and reprehensible at worst.

make up your own races for your SF game is all I ask, not models that you hope to sell to GW players looking for a "better" deal

eldargal
06-20-2011, 11:55 PM
But that is what Mantics entire business model is based on, selling kits to GW players looking for variety or a cheaper alternative. Everything they release will not look too different from GW and have a GW analog, even if it is an analog which no longer has an official army book/codex.

wittdooley
06-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Does anyone else find it a bit funny that Mantic's new add for Warpath cites "makers of the finest fantasy miniatures" ? I mean, the finest? Seriously? I could toss out at least a handful of companies making fantasy miniatures that are far better:

GW
Enigma
GameZone
Scibor

I'm sure there are others, as well.

Just thought it was humorous

eldargal
06-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Yep, but hyperbolic advertising is only bad when GW do it.:rolleyes: Same with price rises, Mantic are increasing the prices on their metal blisters by 12-43% and is there outrage? No, only GW deserves outrage.

wittdooley
06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Well obviously. You must stick it to the man (GW).

I still think the majority of Mantic's line is ugly. I even tried Dwarf Kings Hold at Adepticon and left wholly unimpressed. I got stuck in a loop with the demo guy where a situation occured where I had to roll a 6 or nothing could happen. I couldn't roll a 6, and said enough was enough.

eldargal
06-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Have to agree on the range. Had such high hopes, as it is the only models I like are the basic undead infantry. I'm hip to true scale, but I don't want Elves that look like emaciated, shaved apes or clone dwarfs or shaved rat Orcs.:rolleyes: I think Mantic might have some troulbe in the future, what with Avatars of War making plastic kits (http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=63) that are a thousand times better than anything they have ever produced.

wittdooley
06-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Have to agree on the range. Had such high hopes, as it is the only models I like are the basic undead infantry. I'm hip to true scale, but I don't want Elves that look like emaciated, shaved apes or clone dwarfs or shaved rat Orcs.:rolleyes: I think Mantic might have some troulbe in the future, what with Avatars of War making plastic kits (http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=63) that are a thousand times better than anything they have ever produced.

Exactly. Those Avatars of War Berzerkers are insanely nice. I can't wait to get my hands on a box. I've had a few of the AoW heroes for my armies for some time now. They are simply stunning.

eldargal
06-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Yep, I mean 17EU for 20 of these (http://www.thorshammer.tv/images/mantic_ironclad_troop.jpg), or 25EU for 20 of these (http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=63). Its hardly worth asking the question.:rolleyes:

daboarder
06-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Personally I'm waiting to see what PP throws out for their upcoming sci-fi game level7 don't know much about it but depending on the setting I could give the bait a bight.

wittdooley
06-22-2011, 01:04 AM
You understand you're going to be waiting for over a year, right?

Mauglum.
06-23-2011, 12:47 PM
How long do you wait for a non SM codex, thats right up to 10 years....:eek:

Why is it Mantic is 'copying GW ' when they do what EVERY minature manufacturere does when they started out?
EG make minatures for popular ranges that can be used with several rule sets.

And using conversion sets to expand the basic ranges is a cost effective way to widen the apeal too.

Asthetics is purley pesonal chioce so just buy what you like the look of..;)

The reason people dont respond badly when Mantic increase the price of metal minatures.
Is because MANTIC ONLY raise prices when they have too.(Not as a matter of course)

And the increse in price ONLY applies to the character models that represent a small fraction of the cost of a KoW army.
The metal UNITS have been converted to plastic resin (by Rendra).
And Mantic DOUBLED the quantity in the boxes and kept the price the SAME.

Ronnie explained what was happening ,and the course of action Mantic were taking.
As Ronnie and co are quite happy to hold proper 2 way communication with thier customer base.(AND listen to what thier customer base wants.)
(Mantic dont pretend to be an entire hobby, but acept and define the place within the hobby they wish to establish themselves.)

Unlike GW plc.Who target the demoghraphic easiest to please ,(children) and belive they are infallable and think communication with the customers is unecissary.(Apart from selling them the latest realeases:D.)

I just ask you dont make snap judgments on a new game in ALPHA testing ,and only 1st draught concept sketches .
As this is just unfair.
(My opinion of GW plc is based on 20 years interaction and observation across the spectrum of its operations.)

AOW make nice minatures at reasonable prices too.

But I would suggest AoW minatures are more suitable for smaller sized games where individual detail is more important than in RaF infantry blocks.IMO.

Some gamers that want to play big batles want to get the army up and running asap.So ease of assembly ,painting and overall cost is a bigger factor than the level of detail per minature to these sorts of gamers.

There is no right or wrong , just different .Which is why the table top minature gaming hobby is so wide and diverse, god bless it!

MC Tic Tac
07-01-2011, 05:17 PM
The Beta has just gone live:

RULES
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c35454fa3ba687404d69/files/WARPATH_BETA_RULES.1.pdf?utm_source=Mantic+Games+N ewsletter&utm_campaign=dbb1b6eb40-Mantic_Games_Newsletter_94&utm_medium=email

MARAUDERS/orks
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c35454fa3ba687404d69/files/Marauders_beta.pdf?utm_source=Mantic+Games+Newslet ter&utm_campaign=dbb1b6eb40-Mantic_Games_Newsletter_94&utm_medium=email

FORGE-FATHERS/squats
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c35454fa3ba687404d69/files/Forgefathers_beta.pdf?utm_source=Mantic+Games+News letter&utm_campaign=dbb1b6eb40-Mantic_Games_Newsletter_94&utm_medium=email

lobster-overlord
07-01-2011, 11:16 PM
... so, how many forgefathers can i proxy with my IG?

My fave rule so far... ARmor Overruns. Gotta love a rule that ends with "crunch!"