PDA

View Full Version : painting resin minis

mallet_man
06-03-2011, 07:53 AM
so I picked up a finecast mini the other day gonna be doing a review on my blog soonish, but I have never painted anything resin before so was wondering if anyone could help me, give some tips on anything different I have to do with it over a normal plastic mini, my first question is do I still need to prime it with spray?
thanks in advance
MM

UltramarineFan
06-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Haven't seen it done without priming first but if you prime the model then with Finecast you don't need to do anything special, just paint as you normally would

lobster-overlord
06-03-2011, 09:41 AM
1) Wash it with soapy water and let dry (like you should with ANY plastic or metal model kit).

2) Clean up any flash/mold lines.

3) prime with favorite primer of choice.

4) Paint as you would any other GW kit/model/mini.

:-)

Happy painting.

wittdooley
06-03-2011, 10:41 AM
You wash your plastics? Can't say I've ever done that...

Iceman
06-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I realize this probably makes me a philistine but I have never washed any model pieces. This includes metal, resin and plastic. I have a feeling this is one of those leftover requirements that has been overtaken by modern technology. I have found that as long a I use a spray primer I don't have any problems.

wittdooley
06-03-2011, 12:50 PM
It really is necessary for some resins and metals. If you can feel the release agent on the model during assembly, you need to wash it. Otherwise, you can get serious problems with flaking paint as a lot of the release agents are silicone based.

DrLove42
06-03-2011, 03:24 PM
I've always washed FW resin models...

But not since my first minis where I wasn't really sure what to do, i haven't washed metals or plastics

lobster-overlord
06-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't actually wash my plastics either, but recently, I did get a brand new kit from GW in the release wave that had oil all over it so I had to wash it.

Oil is the lubricant used as the release for plastics, and so it generally is a good idea to wash everything.... but honestly, you're in the minority if you do.

John M>