PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Transports and Reserves

Mark99
05-30-2011, 11:34 AM
I have been told (repeatedly) that a unit with a dedicated transport must deploy with the dedicated transport, they must be in reserve together, make one reserve roll to enter, and generally operate as one unit.

Now the rules state that "apart from being bought as a single choice, these units operate and count as separate units in all respects." (p 92).

Under the reserve section the rules state "the player must if any transport vehicle in reserve is carrying any infantry units and/or independent characters . . . if they do the unit and the transport will be rolled together. . . a dedicated transport can only be deployed, and consequently can only be kept in reserve, either empty or transporting the unit it was selected with." (p 94).

So to my monkey reasoning, I can deploy my dedicated transport at the start of the game and keep the infantry unit in reserve or vice versa, as nothing in the rules says I can't.

Am I missing something ? A FAQ or update ?

Thanks,

Mark

Nabterayl
05-30-2011, 11:43 AM
You're quite right. For the reasons you already listed, you may:

Deploy the dedicated transport on the board and keep its "parent" unit in Reserve.
Deploy the dedicated transport on the board with its "parent" unit also on the board, but not embarked.
Deploy the dedicated transport on the board with its "parent" unit already embarked.
Keep the dedicated transport in Reserve with its "parent" unit on the board.
Keep the dedicated transport in Reserve with its "parent" unit already embarked.
Keep the dedicated transport in Reserve with its "parent" unit also in Reserve, but not embarked.
The only thing you may not do is embark another unit in the dedicated transport before the game begins.

DarkLink
05-30-2011, 11:43 AM
You are absolutely correct, and whoever is telling you this is completely wrong.

Dedicated Transports have absolutely no connection to the unit that took them, barring one and only one thing. The only unit that can choose to deploy inside a dedicated transport is the unit that purchased it. And you are not required to do that. So as soon as the game starts, dedicated transports are no different than any other transport in the game.

Now, if you reserve any unit inside a transport, they roll for reserves as one. But you are not required to hold them in reserves together.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
05-30-2011, 07:50 PM
I posted this same question about a month or two ago. the only restriction for dedicated transports is that the parent unit is the only unit allowed to be deployed in the transport at the beggining of the game. thats it other than that you can do whatever you what with either transport or unit.