PDA

View Full Version : What armies should the 6th ed. Starter box include?

billytwix
05-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Interest check. Alternate army thoughts, post em below.
What would you guys like to buy in the 6th edition box set?
What elements should change / stay the same?

Mr.Pickelz
05-29-2011, 11:28 PM
i would love to see Marines vs Chaos Marines(or Chaos in general; like cultists, marines and daemons):D

This would fall back on the Good vs. Evil Stereotype.

Paul
05-30-2011, 12:02 AM
I would like to see Guard vs. Crons: 2 different playstyles (emphasizing the variety of 40k) while providing the "good vs evil" for parents and the cool terminator look for kids.

Also, both armies are expensive to complete after they have been started from the starter kit, therefore more money for GW!

Mystery.Shadow
05-30-2011, 08:46 AM
We all know that whatever armies are in the box, one of them HAS TO BE Space Marines. C'mon now, it's their poster child. No way would they not.

The most ridiculous box-set would be Space Marines vs Space Marines! But that's not all too far-fetched for GeeDub!

eldargal
05-30-2011, 08:48 AM
I voted Sisters vs Necrons.

But it is (probably) going to be Black Templar vs Daemons.:(

Psychosplodge
05-30-2011, 09:05 AM
It will be be Space Marines vs. flavour of the month horde army x

It can't really not be space marines considering how many variations of space marine there are.

Necron_Lord
05-30-2011, 09:09 AM
I voted Sisters vs Necrons.

But it is (probably) going to be Black Templar vs Daemons.:(

There was some talk earlier about the boxed set being sisters vs chaos, which admittedly seems strange. However, a lot of people found Skaven vs High Elves as an 'out there' choice and it actually happened. I suppose having BT in the boxed set as opposed to a codex chapter might be as 'exotic' as GW gets and having daemons as the chaos army makes sense as it would differ from the BT army in aesthetics more. 3e with DE was the only boxed set with human-looking armies, as the Eldar (and Dark Eldar) look the most like humans of all the xenos.

My dream box would be Craftworlders vs CSM, as they are the next two armies I would like to play. I doubt either will be in it though.

Atrocity
05-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Chaos and Sisters. I have the former and would love to start the latter. That and it was one of the possible combo's rumored :rolleyes:

Lockark
05-30-2011, 09:29 AM
i would love to see Marines vs Chaos Marines(or Chaos in general; like cultists, marines and daemons):D

This would fall back on the Good vs. Evil Stereotype.

I have to agree. That or Sisters Vs. CSM would be realy cool too.

MarneusCalgar
05-30-2011, 10:08 AM
SM and Necrons for me...

Cause metal brothers are coming back, and telling the fluff of the Dragonīs awakening in Mars should be pretty F...ING awesome!!!

MaltonNecromancer
05-30-2011, 10:11 AM
It's obviously going to be marines, and I don't really have a problem with that; I really liked Black Reach for the marines it came with, so I'm hoping for some exciting new starter marines. Perhaps THSS Terminators this time? Or the BA Terminators from Space Hulk?

If it were me, I'd do something different with the marines, to encourage sales to those who already have a marine army. makes the armours preheresy, or else Deathwatch (which would help with sales of the FFG RPG, and thus embed the IP even further).

As for the other army? No idea. As marines are the "Imperial" faction in the box, Sisters, GK, IG, SW, and BA are all pretty much out. They've done Tyranids and Orks, DE wasn't great, but it could be good.

I think smart money has to be on something a little bit more obscure. A Necron set would be nice, but they're one of the less embedded IP's.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more a second Ork army seems more likely.

However, if it were down to personal taste, I'd go with Sisters and Necron, as I have neither of those armies yet, but want some. :)

Kettu
05-30-2011, 10:46 AM
The current rumour is that it's BT vs Chaos.

I remember an early rumour had that GW was annoyed at how easily and cheaply you could collect just from the forces in the box and so with the new box it would contain Marines,Guard, Daemons, Chaos Marines?, Cultists and a few other guys that don't belong in any current rules just to stop people from collecting any single army from the box.

That old one and the current one don't really rule each other out, It's not BT per-say, the guard just got confused for BT scouts.

---

None the less, Sisters vs Necrons or Daemons would work wonders.

Think about it, how many people buy the main box?
If you were straight away giving them a start on two of the least popular lines then the lines will grow n popularity.

Then again, GW has been throughly determined as of late to show the world how anathemic they are to good ideas.

UltramarineFan
05-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I want it to be Chaos and someone :) Mainly because my CSM could do with a cheap-ish expansion and also it makes it more likely that CSM will get a codex update :D

Lerra
05-30-2011, 11:27 AM
As a daemons player, I would love to see daemons vs. sisters, but I think Chaos Space Marines are more likely. I'd put money on CSM vs. Black Templar or Dark Angels. GW loves their marines.

Asymmetrical Xeno
05-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Enslavers VS Necrons

or

Eldar VS Umbra

TheRise
05-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Space Wolves/Grey Knights (not sure) vs Dark Eldar

Xas
05-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Nids vs DE

and for objective markers one of each: guardsman, space marine, eldar, tau, chaos cultist

;,,;

fuzzbuket
05-30-2011, 11:54 AM
space marines VS eldar....

with a sprue or wo of spikes and alternate weapons to turn them into CSM and DE..... cmon Gw its really not that hard! just for CSM 10 more shoulders and say 3 heads and chaos bitz... for DE make a lot of spare heads (and have the vannila eldars have bare heads) swappable guns and trophy (w)racks!

just my 2p

-fuzz

Occam
05-30-2011, 11:59 AM
I love the idea of Sisters vs. Necrons, and it looks like everyone else does as well. It would be a great re-enactment of the 40k lore/history of Sororitas 101 and could potentially grow the popularity of the two armies. It could even get more women to play, as most I know who do minis are just into painting them. And no, for the record, it's not just about the Sisters--my ex, a lovely Indian woman who disliked games in general ("frivolous"), played with my Necrons and loved them.
Of course, my desire to expand my current Necron collection and play Sisters probably colors my hopes on the matter. I also think IG vs. Necrons is also a good idea: the everyman vs. the mechanical ubermencsh that seems to popular these days.

That being said, I think Eldargal's prediction of Black Templar vs. Chaos Daemons or Sisters of Battle vs. Daemons. Would the favored poll result be the best answer? Yes in some--it would grow the product lines, potentially garner some new gamers of the fairer sex and be bold marketing-- but also "no" on others. Namely, the lack of use in iconic figures of their flagship product [Spess Mehrines] and classical "evil" nemesis. Necrons are more "amoral" than "immoral."

As always, I welcome all questions, comments and tomatoes--just not the face. NOT THE FACE!

GrenAcid
05-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Sister VS CSM
Eldar VS CSM

I bend more for secon option, cuz Im just bit sick of "imperial" stuff...so gimme xeno and heretics.

Kais10
05-30-2011, 12:40 PM
I would love to see Dark Angels as the Marine Chapter, I've played DA since 3rd edition and I have been waiting for Deathwing plastic termies to come out. Once the Space Wolves got their termies, I got really excited by the prospect of plastic deathwing kits but who knows when or if that will happen. As for the other army, I'd like to see Tau. It seems highly doubtful, but I think they would draw in some more players, especially with some battlesuits/pirahnas/kroot or krootoxs, I would love to see a new codex for both DA and Tau, I doubt DA will get an update soon, but I can always hope!

Also, when is 6th supposed to come out? I've been out of the news loop for a bit.

Xas
05-30-2011, 04:04 PM
I would love to see Dark Angels as the Marine Chapter, I've played DA since 3rd edition and I have been waiting for Deathwing plastic termies to come out. Once the Space Wolves got their termies, I got really excited by the prospect of plastic deathwing kits but who knows when or if that will happen. As for the other army, I'd like to see Tau. It seems highly doubtful, but I think they would draw in some more players, especially with some battlesuits/pirahnas/kroot or krootoxs, I would love to see a new codex for both DA and Tau, I doubt DA will get an update soon, but I can always hope!

Also, when is 6th supposed to come out? I've been out of the news loop for a bit.

the DA have some terminator bits (shoulder pads, assoult cannons and some minor stuff as well) in one of the upgrade sprues (I think its the one for hooded marines...)

HsojVvad
05-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Where is the option for Tyranids, Orks, Eldar/DE, Chaos, CSM?

I am just curious as to why you choose what you choose.

Demonus
05-30-2011, 07:17 PM
They will throw everyone for a loop and do TWO boxes:

BT vs CSM
Eldar vs Necrons

Kais10
05-30-2011, 08:19 PM
the DA have some terminator bits (shoulder pads, assoult cannons and some minor stuff as well) in one of the upgrade sprues (I think its the one for hooded marines...)

Yea, But you can only use them for so much, I want some DA TH/SS bits and some lightning claws, I used the legs and shoulder pads for a belial conversion, but I want some more characterful sprues. The newest Veteran box was great, but I was really hoping for some more DA stuff after that box and the metal DA commander

Wildeybeast
05-31-2011, 03:35 AM
I'd like to see them actually bring every single army UTD with the current rule set, then 6th edition box set include marines + whichever army is most hampered by 6th edition rule changes. Of course, I imagine that would involve more common sense than I suspect GW has.

Farseer Uthiliesh
05-31-2011, 03:38 AM
SM and Necrons for me...

Cause metal brothers are coming back, and telling the fluff of the Dragonīs awakening in Mars should be pretty F...ING awesome!!!

Agreed.

CouchViking
06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Eh... Come on, we all know it will be some kind of space marine chapter vs. the evil dude's of the month. Now I would be more than happy to eat my words and be surprised by GW putting out an original starter box. Sadly, power armor sells.

Xelkireth
06-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Chaos and Sisters. I have the former and would love to start the latter. That and it was one of the possible combo's rumored :rolleyes:
+1

I didn't vote because my opinion wasn't accounted for. This is the one I'd like to see.