PDA

View Full Version : arrggh white

LemanRussCommander
05-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have any tips for painting white without streaks?

isotope99
05-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Build up to it through progressively lighter shades of grey.

LemanRussCommander
05-29-2011, 03:03 PM
what shades would u recommend?

SotonShades
05-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Depends on the tone of white you want to go for, but I find Astronomicon Grey works well, with 4 or 5 mixes up to Skull White. Thin coats and a milky consistency to the paint are important. If the coat is too thin and you need an extra one, thats fine. Thick coats are more likely to give you an uneven finish, and while you can put more coats on, its more or less impossible to take them off.

fade_74
05-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Don't buy GW skull white is my best tip. Stone grey, weathered stone, and leather white by reaper are a good place to start. If you are looking for a cleaner brighter white throw pure white (also reaper) into the mix. Those are all good neutral paints. Lots of pigment, but still very smooth when thinned properly. If you are going for an off white (yellowish tints) use bestial brown (gw) and linen white (reaper).

I may be able to help with some more specific advice if you would tell me what you are painting, primer color, etc.

eldargal
05-30-2011, 02:51 AM
As said above, build it up from grey, if you are using GW paints then Astronomican Grey, Fortress Grey and even Dheneb Stone work well. Then to get a nice pure white without streaks or chalkiness give it several coats of very thin, watered down skull white. Milky, as SotonShades says. This is how I paint my white Eldar.

Meph
05-30-2011, 03:21 AM
Vallejo's Skull White is not too shabby... Watch out for their Foundation White though, it's noticeably greyer than Skull white, but does cover very well.

OXRS
05-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Little known fact: GW produces a plain white foundation paint. I have no idea why they don't sell it separately, but their white, black and gunmetal foundations are all in their Hobby Starter Set, and only the black is available anywhere else and that's only in the themed paint sets. I'm not suggesting buying the Hobby Starter Set for one pot of paint, but if you happen to want all those foundation paints, some plastic and PVA glue and some basic flocking anyway, it works out.

LemanRussCommander
05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
thanks for all the advice everyone, much appreciated

chromedog
05-31-2011, 04:12 AM
Start with a white undercoat spray.
Touch up with a good white acrylic (like Vallejo) - GW white takes a lot of coats for the effort).

It's what I did for my 501st (Clone trooper) SM army. White undercoat, wash, black in the undersuit parts, touch up any overpaint with astro grey, then white.

Working from a black undercoat? A fool's errand doomed to failure unless you have unlimited patience and the skills of an elite painter.