PDA

View Full Version : How do you transport your miniatures?

shadosun
05-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Ok I'm looking for ideas in all of your responses. I've always carried mine in foam. With tau thats fine. But I'm trying to finish my 'nids and get them road worthy, and I went to shop and get them new foam as their sabol case is a top loader and that starts to suck after a bit. So I sadly figured out that if I got battlefoam I'd pay about 300-400 for a case and foam....for a case and foam. That's insane, and yet I may end up paying that if I can't figure anything else out >< So toss out your answers and hopefully I'll get some inspiration :D Well that and its fun to read responses lol

DrifterUK
05-24-2011, 05:48 PM
For my Wood Elves, I use a KR Multicase

Theyve got pre-cut foam for pretty much every single figure GW have produced I believe, plus their stuff is quite cheap

Whether its a viable option for your nids or not, I have no idea, but its probably worth looking into at least

Edit - Link to site http://www.krmulticase.co.uk/

Necron2.0
05-24-2011, 06:03 PM
I go to a local craft store and get the sheet urethane foam sometimes used for batting. I cut it to shape using a foam cutter (basically a long, hot wire).

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
05-24-2011, 06:05 PM
use a hard case rifle carry case. new ones are like fifty bucks used ones way cheaper. just go to ur local gun shop and maybe pick up a shot gun too lol. they hold about 100 to 150 models

Occam
05-24-2011, 06:35 PM
I use a basic cardboard box with some free foam given to me by a friend that works in a laptop factory. Foam comes in large squares, so it's easy to use to make 2 layers in office paper [8.5/11" or 11 X17] boxes. I just used a small kitchen knife to cut it.

Then again, I don't often go very far. My FLGS is about 5 minutes away. The furthest I've gone is 10 miles to another store.

TheBitzBarn
05-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Get the new Army Transports as they are front loaders The MKII and the Division that way you can use your old foam

Gir
05-24-2011, 09:02 PM
So I sadly figured out that if I got battlefoam I'd pay about 400-500 for a case and foam....for a case and foam. That's insane, and yet I may end up paying that if I can't figure anything else out ><l

A fully loaded titan sized case is only $350 from battlefoam... Hell, their biggest normal case is only $290 full loaded. How the hell are you getting to $400-$500?

shadosun
05-24-2011, 09:18 PM
A fully loaded titan sized case is only $350 from battlefoam... Hell, their biggest normal case is only $290 full loaded. How the hell are you getting to $400-$500?

I need their 1520 (is that its correct numbers?) for the case, thats 150, then looking at all the foam it will take to fill that, my nids are swarm and thats gonna require alot of sheets for the gaunts, I can edit that though to drop it to 300-400 just so it sounds better :)

Point is though that that is still as much money as I could spend to start into a new army or collect more models.

Majorcrash
05-24-2011, 09:23 PM
years ago I bought 3 of the sabol army transports when they came with the foam included. Over time and 6 armies later, I found that the rolling file box, with a hard plastic case and lid, extendable handle fits two sabol trays side by side. All my armies are in them now and I can easily carry about 3000pnts of anything besides IG. I even have 8 baneblades in one. It is a top loader but that hasnt been a problem. The box is $21 at office depot, and it fits 8 4' trays or an assortment of the smaller. mostly those trays are about $8 at the warstore. My question is how to transport 8 valkyries. They dont fit on a sabol tray and i really dont want to have multiple cases. Any ideas? I know that battlefoam makes them but $30 a tray is steep, even if it does hold two vals.

Atrocity
05-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I use a couple of hard plastic four pistol cases. You can buy them from Academy and Walmart for around $15. They come with eggcrate foam generally, though I have a case with a pluck foam as well. It's big, cheap, relatively easy to come by, has a hard shell, and keeps the models in place.

Gir
05-24-2011, 10:03 PM
I need their 1520 (is that its correct numbers?) for the case, thats 150, then looking at all the foam it will take to fill that, my nids are swarm and thats gonna require alot of sheets for the gaunts, I can edit that though to drop it to 300-400 just so it sounds better :)

Point is though that that is still as much money as I could spend to start into a new army or collect more models.

http://www.battlefoam.com/products/%281520%29-P.A.C.K.-1520-XL-Custom-Load-Out.html

$280 with a full custom loadout.

wkz
05-24-2011, 10:57 PM
For my horde army (almost-foot orkz), I transport them by... ... metal biscuit boxes.

a) Get a biscuit box, one with a lid that covers the entire top (as opposed to a circular cutout of the top. Trust me, this is important for when you're removing models and/or cleaning the box)
b) Glue a magnet onto the base of your models. Make sure said magnet is flush with the bottom of the base of the model. Use washers if needed.
c) Clunk said model's base onto the tin. If done correctly the magnet will keep it in place (including when the box is flipped up-side down)
d) (optional, but needed if transportation will be bumpy) After "insertion", get some cotton wool or other form of padding between models. Get a single layer of sponge on top of models to prevent them from smacking the lid/ceiling too.
e) Close lid, profit!

Cheap rare earth magnets of large quantities can be gotten from the Intawebs, if you know where to look... and you don't quite need the highest quality versions of such magnet for this to work... but buy a small batch to experiment first if you're unsure.

Obviously this does not work for the heavier, bigger and taller bugs of your 'nid army (especially metal models larger/taller/heavier than a Kommando Nob... and with the Kommando Nob I had to glue 3 of the more powerful magnets on to be able to use this trick), but for the horde of smaller, plastic gribblies, a single 12"x8" tin of mine (approximate size) is able to hold about 2 squads * 30 Ork boyz and then some... and that tin box is smaller than ye average foam-tray size...

Emerald Rose Widow
05-24-2011, 11:24 PM
you could always just buy the battlefoam case, and then get ahold of old couch cushions (easy if you live in a college town, they leave couches on the street and you can just pick them up for free) cut the cushions up to the size and holes you need for the models. Makes it so you can has a nice case on the outside but cheap foam on the inside, and you just put the foam on top of some cheap foamboard from walmart for steadiness (or if you avoid walmart like i do you can go to a hobby shop for it). I got this from a friend of mine, she does this so she doesnt have to pay a ton for battlefoam foam.

shadosun
05-25-2011, 12:37 AM
http://www.battlefoam.com/products/%281520%29-P.A.C.K.-1520-XL-Custom-Load-Out.html

$280 with a full custom loadout.

First off TY for pointing that out, life was hectic yesterday, I was mad and I didn't see that as I looked, I only saw that they were charging an arm and a leg for an army that I've yet to complete due to price.

As for every other answer I am happy everyone is throwing out ideas. I would have never thought of several of them and I may just look into them when I get back home (38ish days left woot). Its nice to be able to feel like I have options again :D

Emerald Rose Widow
05-25-2011, 12:49 AM
First off TY for pointing that out, life was hectic yesterday, I was mad and I didn't see that as I looked, I only saw that they were charging an arm and a leg for an army that I've yet to complete due to price.

As for every other answer I am happy everyone is throwing out ideas. I would have never thought of several of them and I may just look into them when I get back home (38ish days left woot). Its nice to be able to feel like I have options again :D

Hey, thats what the forum is here for, to bounce ideas off of each other.

Daemonette666
05-25-2011, 01:20 AM
use a hard case rifle carry case. new ones are like fifty bucks used ones way cheaper. just go to ur local gun shop and maybe pick up a shot gun too lol. they hold about 100 to 150 models
Agreed GIR, I bought a fully loaded 1520, 2 max packs and a pack 216 with the paints and hobby tolls foam load out from my local gaming shop. I can easily transport what I carried in 8 GW Army size cases (yes the double size case). It is also a lot easier to transport, as the individual packs zip on top of the next, and it has running wheels and a handle to tow it like luggage bags.

They apparently are able to be transported in airplane luggage, and still have the miniatures survive (providing you have the foam all the way to the top of the pack). There are fillers as well to make ensure the foam fits tightly.

I spent almost $400 Australian (back when the Australian dollar was still worth only .80 cents US), for the 4 cases and the foam load outs. The GW cases required to carry that much around would cost me AU$1440.00 back then, and AU$1560.00 now. I have not used the Sabol Army cases so can not comment on them.

Defenestratus
05-25-2011, 06:28 AM
$60 at the home depot. Full of custom cut styrene trays for the titans and fliers, and then battlefoam trays on top. These are the same boxes that they issue to the troops to pack their personal belongings in for deployment. They're called "tough boxes".

I trained the dog to pull it for me.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W-OLykJh4lc/TVKtmYc8xLI/AAAAAAAANzs/kuTEXpXgSHM/s640/2011-02-09_10-06-04_476.jpg

(just kidding about the dog)

Wolfshade
05-25-2011, 06:40 AM
I just use the large GW army cases got about 3 of them, but need more so I have a vested interest in the different ideas floating about

wittdooley
05-25-2011, 07:20 AM
40K - All in Battlefoam. From Space Wolves to Vanilla Marines to IG, it's all snug and warm in a BF tray.

WHFB - GW Cases, presently. I'll probably upgrade to Battlefoam eventually, but perhaps only for the larger models (Screaming Bell, Theodore Bruckner, Hellpit Abomination--Yes, I have Empire & Skaven).

Malifaux - Battlefoam. The Amount of slots in the Malifaux Bag is absurd, so I presently also have the following stored in there: HellDorado, Confrontation, Infinity.

Warmahordes - Presently have a Hordes bag which is housing MOST of my Warmachine and Hordes armies. It isn't big enough. Will be picking up a Warmachine bag soon.

Spartan Games (Dystopian Wars, Firestorm, Uncharted Seas - Presently displayed on a shelf, with the unpainted pieces in a cardboard box. Classy, right? Will be getting the Spartan BF bag when Romeo releases it.

Flames of War - Sabol Army Transport. Will most likely upgrade to a BattleFoam eventually.

Beer - Custom Battlefoam. :D

MarneusCalgar
05-25-2011, 08:37 AM
I use two REAPER cases that I bought once in a store in Barcelona...

I also saw them on Reaper Store in their web!

hisdudeness
05-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Here is what I carry my Marines in. It is a modified wooden army foot locker. The foam is from Battle Foam.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss48/hisdudeness69/Red%20Scorpions/IMG_2120.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss48/hisdudeness69/Red%20Scorpions/IMG_2114.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss48/hisdudeness69/Red%20Scorpions/IMG_2131.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss48/hisdudeness69/Red%20Scorpions/IMG_2127.jpg

shadosun
05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Once again I'm treated to many more great ideas after I wake up lol. As for that really tough case, thats issued to soldiers? Hell I need to figure out where they got those and demand I get one to, I may only be AF but I do my part lol. Those are good ideas though for a a big case filled with battlefoam. Also giving your beer battlefoam, I will have to look into that there is no reason my drink of choice cannot be cushioned in the best along with my loyal troops lol

FTE-Charge!!!
05-25-2011, 10:00 AM
you could always just buy the battlefoam case, and then get ahold of old couch cushions (easy if you live in a college town, they leave couches on the street and you can just pick them up for free) cut the cushions up to the size and holes you need for the models. Makes it so you can has a nice case on the outside but cheap foam on the inside, and you just put the foam on top of some cheap foamboard from walmart for steadiness (or if you avoid walmart like i do you can go to a hobby shop for it). I got this from a friend of mine, she does this so she doesnt have to pay a ton for battlefoam foam.

haha love this! "Dude, your models smell like a frat party"

"I know, thats bc they are packed in one" lol

Hive Mind
05-25-2011, 11:33 AM
I favour the Tyranid swarm also and just use a medium sized plastic tool-box/fishing box. Has room for lots of gribblies, I usually only take that one box with me for anything up to 2250pts.

Emerald Rose Widow
05-25-2011, 12:14 PM
haha love this! "Dude, your models smell like a frat party"

"I know, thats bc they are packed in one" lol

-giggles- no kidding right, thats the one downside to couch foam from college towns, smells like beer and......well.....you know.

wittdooley
05-25-2011, 12:35 PM
-giggles- no kidding right, thats the one downside to couch foam from college towns, smells like beer and......well.....you know.

No, Widow. What? What else does it smell like?

---Shudders at the thought of his own college hovel couch---

Xas
05-25-2011, 12:43 PM
two small GW plastic boxes in gws tactical backpack (tbh that backpack is the one GW product I'd rate as excellent. has been my general holiday pack since I bought it and never dissapointed :D) with custom foam (mix of gw and other foam cut to my likings).

I'd buy a battlefoam if the shipping wouldnt be so expensive to europe :(

Gotthammer
05-25-2011, 12:55 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/Gotthammer/40k/Eggsport.jpg

They can fit cavalry too if you put them in sideways. Also have the advantage of being light, cheap and nobody's going to nick them from the store.
I have one egg carton that's been in service since the mid 90s. A kid dissed the cartons once, so I pointed out that they'd been transporting miniatures longer than he'd been alive.

My Rainbow Warriors have custom Battlefoam trays, or else just the standard GW cases. If I'm moving one of my titans it goes in a box with lots of bubblewrap.

Emerald Rose Widow
05-25-2011, 01:31 PM
No, Widow. What? What else does it smell like?

---Shudders at the thought of his own college hovel couch---

Hehe, it would not be very ladylike of me to say.

The egg carton idea is rather interesting, and easy to get a hold of.

wittdooley
05-25-2011, 02:09 PM
two small GW plastic boxes in gws tactical backpack (tbh that backpack is the one GW product I'd rate as excellent. has been my general holiday pack since I bought it and never dissapointed :D) with custom foam (mix of gw and other foam cut to my likings).

I'd buy a battlefoam if the shipping wouldnt be so expensive to europe :(

I may be hallucinating, but I BELIEVE Romeo said he's going to have a Euro warehouse.....

MarneusCalgar
05-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Holy crap!! An egg carton!! You gained my respect, buddy!!!

Amazing what the players can create sometimes to move along their miniatures...

lattd
05-25-2011, 03:37 PM
A cheap tool box and KR multicases which are brilliant i have 4 of their cardboard ones and an aluminium case.

Brettila
05-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Battle Foam has those precut ones made for Valkyries.

Hive Mind
05-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Belial is a corruption of Beli Ya'al, there's no way it's pronounced bee-leel. It's bee-lie-yal or belly-yal. Eiher is acceptable.

Abaddon begins with an A so I'd probably suggest starting the word with an A sound rather than the noise you make when something falls out of a cupboards and hits you on the head.

Chimera can be ky-meer-a or ky-mair-a. I can't begin to imagine why you'd try and pronounce it ky-murr-uh.

Morgan Darkstar
05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Belial is a corruption of Beli Ya'al, there's no way it's pronounced bee-leel. It's bee-lie-yal or belly-yal. Eiher is acceptable.

Abaddon begins with an A so I'd probably suggest starting the word with an A sound rather than the noise you make when something falls out of a cupboards and hits you on the head.

Chimera can be ky-meer-a or ky-mair-a. I can't begin to imagine why you'd try and pronounce it ky-murr-uh.

huh did i miss somthing?????

anyways, regarding transport of minis ether a laptop case or the smaller gw case suffice however i am looking to invest in some battlefoam in the future.

Lockark
05-26-2011, 12:09 AM

They can fit cavalry too if you put them in sideways. Also have the advantage of being light, cheap and nobody's going to nick them from the store.
I have one egg carton that's been in service since the mid 90s. A kid dissed the cartons once, so I pointed out that they'd been transporting miniatures longer than he'd been alive.

My Rainbow Warriors have custom Battlefoam trays, or else just the standard GW cases. If I'm moving one of my titans it goes in a box with lots of bubblewrap.

I been doing that since I 1st started playing 40k! My stuff is in egg cartons witch I keep in a milk crate.