PDA

View Full Version : Privateer Press 10th Anniversary Sale

Gotthammer
05-23-2011, 12:12 PM
From their Website: (http://privateerpress.com/privateer-press-10th-anniversary-sale)

In celebration of our ten-year anniversary, the Privateer Press online store (http://store.privateerpress.com/anniversary.aspx) will be hosting great deals on a selection of products from all our current game lines from now until the end of June. We’re kicking things off with some fantastic offers on our award-winning miniatures games WARMACHINE and HORDES.

Between now and June 20th, we’re offering WARMACHINE Starter Bundles (https://store.privateerpress.com/warmachinestarterbundle.aspx) and HORDES Starter Bundles (https://store.privateerpress.com/hordesstarterbundle.aspx)! Pick any battlegroup box set, the associated faction tokens, and a set of WARMACHINE or HORDES templates, and receive a free copy of WARMACHINE: Prime Mk II or HORDES: Primal Mk II as well as a free Privateer Press tape measure!

What’s more, we are offering free shipping worldwide on purchases of WARMACHINE and HORDES battlegroup box sets (but no other items), giving everyone a chance to get into these two great games wherever they live in the world.

But that's not all!

The celebration keeps on rolling with great deals on our action-packed kaiju battle miniatures game Monsterpocalypse, our full library of backstock No Quarter Magazine, and our family fun board games Grind and Scrappers. You can find all these fantastic deals right now on our online store today (http://store.privateerpress.com/anniversary.aspx), but hurry. The Privateer Press 10th Anniversary Sale ends June 24th!

I like the dig about international shipping ;)

Looks like a good sale, especially the starter bundles including the rulebook.

Mr.Pickelz
05-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Now that is a crazy good way to get some new people involved! :D

I NoSe
05-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Privateer Press smells blood in the water. Good for them this is gonna get a lot of people playing.

FastEd
05-23-2011, 04:03 PM
There is some great stuff on there. I may have to put in an order...

Bigred
05-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Yes, I find the timing of these bargain basement priced starter bundles and their unique international shipping to be... "interesting"

...from a marketing point of view.

Limey El'Jonson
05-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Definitely interesting. They want people to know that they give a darn about their customers and this is a way of showing it. *applause*

faolan
05-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Yes, I find the timing of these bargain basement priced starter bundles and their unique international shipping to be... "interesting"

...from a marketing point of view.

Have you SEEN their international shipping?

I was going to order $50 worth of bits and two minis (Kilt Lifter and a Hayley varient) and it was going to be another $100 postage to Australia. It seems they were going to UPS every single piece individually.

FastEd
05-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Does anybody have an info on this PP tape measure that's listed in the starter bundle? Can't seem to find anything on it anywhere, and neither I, nor my friends who have also been playing WM/H since before the official release can remember any such thing ever existing.

Quaade
05-24-2011, 02:08 AM
You might want to read their amazing offer once more, this time thouroughly.

Per their own text, they send the starter battleforces free of shipping charges, the starter deals, not so much.

I've been following PP's marketing campaigns for a while and they seem less keen on advertising their own product and more interested in "look at us, we seem more awesome than GW" approach.

It works in the short terms, but in the long terms they just end up looking bad, even though GW makes some bad decisions.

Faultie
05-24-2011, 07:14 AM
I don't understand that one, Quaade. I've actually never seen them directly reference GW in their marketing, and instead they're more likely to reference their "great gameplay", "superior miniatures", etc.

I understand your antagonism if you are more of a GW gamer than a PP gamer, but I think you may be adding a bit more irony to your post than you intended.

*Full Disclosure: I own far more GW minis than I own PP minis, just to pre-empt cries of fanboi or the like.

Quaade
05-24-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm not more of an "anything" gamer, I just like people to look at the full picture instead of just the narrow bit that is displeasing to the eye.

When they first arrived on the scene, GW had just shifted to plastic, to the outcry of a lot of people that "now it was just for little kids since the minis weren't heavy in the hands" (yes, it didn't make sense back then either). PP advertised with their minis being of metal and made for people "who had a pair!" E.i. not kids.

While their advertisement never antagonises other companies directly, they do so in sublime ways that does not leave the recipient in doubt about whom or what they refer to.

If you can only sell your game in relation to what it is that the competition ain't, then you don't really have a brand that is all that strong. It works for as long as people are angry at whomever you are competing against.
If GW did a 360 tomorrow and made their prices closer to actual cost, even with overhead, PP's miniatures would suddently seem very costly to people.
And make no mistake, PP is well paid for their minis, more so than GW.

Take the infamous Bloodknight unit box, it's at GW set to 51,25£
A box of Dawnguard Destors at Maelstrom is 62,95£

Both of them have 5 models in it, the blood knights have 5 unique models, the dawnguards have 5 copypasta models.
I'm not going to buy either of them, even though I have a Retribution army, not at that price anyway.

Faultie
05-24-2011, 08:58 AM
If you can only sell your game in relation to what it is that the competition ain't, then you don't really have a brand that is all that strong. It works for as long as people are angry at whomever you are competing against. But this is how all businesses work, unless they are the only ones that make what they make. The point is to show how much better you are than your competitors (example: see GW's announcement about Finecast and how it's a revolution in the marketplace far superior to all others). "It's not TV. It's HBO." "It's more than coffee. It's Starbucks." "When you care enough to send the very best. -Hallmark." "Everything is easier on a Mac." This is marketing. Hell, some of the most famous brands in the world got where they are on a "Well, we aren't Microsoft" platform!

I think your measuring stick is a bit tilted against PP, for whatever reason.

wittdooley
05-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Grind is a great pick up for $25 bucks. Further, if you hate the game, you just picked up enough Jack Chassis to start a Khador or Cygnar army.

Count Fenring
05-24-2011, 01:51 PM
This is a smart company who is quick to realize the corner GW is slowly backing itself into.

Well done, I ordered a box set, Cygnar seems most suitable to me. I look forward to trying this game out.