PDA

View Full Version : Micron Pen help/advise

whargoul666
05-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I have been dabbling with using these Micron Pens (005's) but they sure seem to run out of steam awfully quick. I have to say that they are great when they work, but seem to die fast... Is that just the nature of the beast? Or does anyone have advice to keep these things alive and working?

Brass Scorpion
05-20-2011, 10:14 PM
I have had this experience at times as well, especially on the pens with the very smallest tips. I think residue from the paint on the model may transfer to the small pen tips and somehow block the flow of ink. It's my best theory about the problem to date. Letting the paint dry for a long time seems to help a bit and another idea that might help would be to matte seal it before using the pen on it. If any of that works or you find another solution, please share.

Emerald Rose Widow
05-21-2011, 03:42 AM
I have had this experience at times as well, especially on the pens with the very smallest tips. I think residue from the paint on the model may transfer to the small pen tips and somehow block the flow of ink. It's my best theory about the problem to date. Letting the paint dry for a long time seems to help a bit and another idea that might help would be to matte seal it before using the pen on it. If any of that works or you find another solution, please share.

You could always try dipping the felt tip of the pen in your brush water afterwards, then basically wipe it on something a little bit to get the excess off. Treat it like a paintbrush, might make it last longer. This advice is not from actual experience, just a thought that came to mind. I could very well be wrong.

whargoul666
05-21-2011, 08:56 AM
You could always try dipping the felt tip of the pen in your brush water afterwards, then basically wipe it on something a little bit to get the excess off. Treat it like a paintbrush, might make it last longer. This advice is not from actual experience, just a thought that came to mind. I could very well be wrong.

Lol, that was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for, just (you know) from someone who knew!

I was also thinking the samething about the paint and the matte finish and all that BS was talking about. I originally started on the pens to touch up finished models that had already been matted.

Another thing I am worried about is: am I too ham fisted? Am I destroying the tips by using them with normal pressure?

One last thing. Alcohol? Think that'd be good for the tips?

crazyredpraetorian
05-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I have found that the pens last longer if you do the following
1. Let the paint dry 24hrs or more
2.Use before washes are applied.

whargoul666
05-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks CRP, never thought about the washes.

Morgan Darkstar
05-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Slightly off topic but does anyone know of a decent stockist of micron pens in the UK? can't seem to find any anywhere

Bigred
05-21-2011, 08:25 PM
I have a *bit* of micron 005 experience...

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/06/tutorial-death-guard-in-7-easy-steps.html

As others have said:
1) The surface you are drawing on must be bone dry. Even a bit of moisture in the paint will transfer to the nib and screw up the micron's tip.

2) The smoother the surface the better it will go, and I don't suggest trying to go over an already varnished piece (gloss, or matte).

3) Try to avoid "forcing" the pen tip into areas it's not easily going to reach. Better to use a light grey "brush tip" pen (see the article above) for those hard to reach areas, and build up the desired darkness of lining with several strokes, than risk screwing up the Micron 005's tip by jamming it in there.

-Larry

whargoul666
05-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Awesome, thanks Big Red!

I think my problems have been not waiting long enough (I always have to remind myself that this is a hobby of patience), and marking on matte sprayed surfaces afterwards.

I really dig the outlined, cell shadded looks of the 90's and have found it's easy to do with a black basecoat; but even easier with a Micron!