PDA

View Full Version : Eldar tactics vs Meq's

dmcgr19800
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM
My friend plays sister's religiously ( LOL ). I run 2 serpents with 10 man dire avenger squads. 2 falcons with 5 man fire dragon squads. 8 man Seer council with 2 destructor. 1 175 point farseer. 1 fireprism.

He runs a cannoness with seraphim. 2 squads of celestines and sisters in vehicles. He rhino rushes pops smoke and obliterates me. I hate faith points.

Any tactical / tricks help would be greatly appreciated. Deployment or tactical would be great. Thanx!

RocketRollRebel
09-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Hmm playing vs witch hunters with that many psykers... Try an Autarch instead maybe? I would say your best bet would be to shut down the rhinos asap with a med strength high volume weapon. Maybe a squad of war walkers with those s6 heavy 3 guns? Not sure of the name. Then you should be free to shuirken the sisters to death. Basically volume volume volume! The dragons might be a bit over kill on rhinos so maybe drop a unit and replace them with a nasty cc unit like Scorpions or Banshees?
They are only t3 so they are fairly easy to wound. Don't worry so much about the 3+ save part. They can only make so many of them. ;)

Good luck! Hope this helps and let us know how your next game goes.

dmcgr19800
09-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Thank you. Unfortunately for now I am trying this list as a all comer list.

Unpresentable
09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Well from the sounds of it your running a mech eldar army. Your greatest strength is mobility. Both your armies might be mechanized but you have fast skimmers which can definitely out pace your opponents rino rush. I think (dont quote me I am not an eldar player) an upgraded eldar skimmer can move over 24" flat out.

So next time you face him let him run up, pop smoke. You redeploy to a safe distance and wait for the smoke to clear. Then set about opening up his tanks on your terms.

Things not to do when facing sisters. Stay out of prolonged mid-close range fire fights.

DarkLink
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Take out his rhino's to limit his mobility, then rely on your own speed to stay of of the short ranged firefights the sisters excel in. Deal with his seraphim after the rhinos, as they are what can keep up with you.

And there is no faith point that lets him ignore weight of fire. He can spirit of martyr all day long, but if you make him roll lots of dice it won't matter.

xomntec
09-02-2009, 01:55 PM
The above advice is really good. I would consider including some striking scorpions; I think they would really shine against a sister's army since they have a great advantage in weight of attacks, initiative, and even strength. Also since the sisters are toughness 3, banshees could also be an excellent choice even without doom IF you are trying to get them to use their faith points faster (which you may or may not want because of martyrdom)

Edit:

You might be able to trim a little from your dire avengers and seer council without hurting your army over all (maybe squads of 8 instead of 10 and one less warlock?) Don't have my codex with me, but I think you could probably get a sufficient close combat squad in without reducing your army too much.

Saint Omerville
09-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Massed Dire Avenger fire is very effective, as is massed close combat wounds.
The trick is to get anough wounds to force the Sister Superiors and Simulacrum wielders to take and thus hopefully fail an armor save. Without a "Faithful" model, units cannot benefit from Faith.

Use Eldar Missile Launchers, Shuriken Cannons, Starcannons, bright Lances, et al to open the Rhinos. After that, park the Dire avengers 18 inches away and let loose.

-Mike

Magos Bellum
09-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Exploit your superior mobility and don't get in close unless you plan to charge the Battle Sisters Squads. You may also want to try deploying in the back of your deployment zone or keeping units in reserve. A rhino rush is no good if it rushes the wrong direction, especially since smoke launchers are a one use thing.

Superbran
09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
I agree with the advice given above. Use your mobility and volume of fire. I like the idea of running an autarch or two instead of the farseer. Maybe use the points from the seer's to field striking scorpions (held in reserve).

Superbran

Rangerrob
09-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Banshees - what is the one argument against Banshees...they have a hard time wounding T4...

Well SoB are T3...then add Doom and your opponent can pick up that unit the Banshees just charged.

dmcgr19800
09-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks a lot!

Inquisitor Lord Haestus
09-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Here is a little something to try also, Try some Warp Spiders to attack the rhino's. That is basically what their d-spinners are for, taking down light armored vehicles (rhino's, Landspeeders, Sentinels, etc...) their warp packs make it easy to get to the rear armor then dart away in the assault phase so they dont' get hosed too badly in the SoB's next firinng/assault phase. (take the exarch with hit and run then leave combat if they choose to assault)

09-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Your list is better without the advice you're getting to add crap units.

If it was me, (I assume this is at 1500?) I'd drop the DA squads to 5 man each (since they should never get out of the tank and are only there to make it scoring it doesn't matter how big they are) and look to add more punch to the Seer Council. I'd also look at chin cannons for every tank hull and no other upgrades (spirit stones are actually counter-productive on prisms if you math it out).

Big picture what I do at this points level is put the FD in serpents too and add a fire prism (may mean losing a FD squad, but that's okay). You want the ability to either - deny PA saves to non-cover units (which you need two Prisms to do) or lay so many dice on cover units that it doesn't matter.

Also, having a s10-ap1 blast is nice, though only occasionally useful since your Chin-cannons and scatter lasers can pop his tanks.

There's an argument that two prisms are such a threat that they're counter-productive, and while I can see the point, being a bigger threat for that few points (and leveraging each other so well) is great, and lets a lot of your army off the hook for a turn or two.

All that said, mech sisters is still a powerful list, with ranged melta missiles and faith points they can be very tricky.

Aegis
09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
This is a constant match up I have (I am on the WH side of the fight). The most effective I have Eldar be against the Sisters has been with Scatter Lasers. Because Sisters can use faith to change their armour save to invulnerable (and at 3+, no less), forcing multiple saves is the best route to go.

One particularly poor game I was in saw him use three war walkers, and one turn of firing, make two units of sisters break. Worst case scenario, but rough.

Admittedly, the lasers are not as good until they are out of their rhino's. Mobility is really your best defense against the sisters. That and forcing them to make as many saves as possible...

biteymcrunrun
09-17-2009, 01:51 AM
mind war the sister superiors, and use your superior mobility

Foredrifter
09-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Basically stay out of his range, don't get out the wave serpents unil it favours you!

Just don't get sucked into a fire fight, as you'll lose, pick your fights and isolate units, thats the Eldar way.

/Rob