PDA

View Full Version : Dreadnought weaponry

Brotherjames
05-20-2011, 08:18 PM
I just wanted to see what everyone else thought about dreadies and the weapon placement. I for one would like to the the shooty bits mounted to the chassis like the FW dreads. I'm just not a fan of the weapon destroyed and your opponent getting a two-for-one, and maybe in the future they could change it in the next SM codex. I would think that it wouldnt be a hard to sell rule or modeling wise to pull off

AngelsofDeath
05-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I think you looking at the "Weapon Destroyed" as the fact that only that weapon blown off. Where as the rule I think factors in that maybe a system on that side of the Dread took a hit and the whole side is now shut down. Just my take on it, trying to put a twist of realism into the game.

But I hear where you are coming from. Wish I could keep the melta on my Blood Dreads when you take the power claw or talon.

Brotherjames
05-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Your exactly right and thats the very situation i was in that brought me to ask this. I have a Furioso with the "cheater" claw and the shriek of glee from your opponent because you know what weapon arm their taking! nobody just pics the storm bolter lol and for the realism part that i understand too but i would hope that in the far future theres a tech marine saying "Maybe we should put the melta where it can't get blown off with the claw"

Mike X
05-20-2011, 09:40 PM
I typically field 2-3 Dreadnoughts in a game, and the powerfist is always the first weapon to be destroyed (along with the heavy flamer or stormbolter). It's such a disappointment when that happens.

Also, my Predator tank also has a pintle-mounted stormbolter on its twin-linked lascannon, so when my opponent chooses the turret the stormbolter goes with it.

It seems like Space/Chaos Marines are the only force that benefit their enemies with the "two for one" deal on weapon destroyed results.

whargoul666
05-21-2011, 09:03 AM
I don't know BRB well, but is this a limitation of the rules or the models used? What if you magnetized the claw to the arm, could you just remove that and keep the gun? Or is that against the rules?

isotope99
05-21-2011, 09:45 AM
I believe the placement on the model is irrelevant. The question is whether the weapon is described in the codex as built in or not. If it's built in then its destroyed with its parent weapon, otherwise it's treated separately for weapon destroyed results.

bfmusashi
05-21-2011, 10:07 AM
I believe the placement on the model is irrelevant. The question is whether the weapon is described in the codex as built in or not. If it's built in then its destroyed with its parent weapon, otherwise it's treated separately for weapon destroyed results.

Yeah, this is the sticker.

whargoul666
05-21-2011, 10:52 AM
So even the Forge World models with the guns in the body would loose the gun if the arm were hit?

whargoul666
05-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Well, yup, I just checked the BA and Vanilla codex. It is very specific CCW with built in gun. Dang, I always liked the look of those FW Dreads!

lobster-overlord
05-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Also, my Predator tank also has a pintle-mounted stormbolter on its twin-linked lascannon, so when my opponent chooses the turret the stormbolter goes with it.

The pintle mounts are not considered joined weapon systems. He can destroy the turret mounted gun adn you get to keep the pintle. It's your choice to have the turret removable, and having it modeled there. You could always make th barrels of the cannon removable for damage purposes to remind you, that you can still keep the other weapon online.

Same with an HK. I mount them on the sides of the turrets, so I woudl NOT lose three weapons if they took the turret out on it, I would just have to remember to not use the turret mounted weapon

Only co-axial weapons are considered joined for purposes of one being destroyed (and the Dreads, and their specific mention of losing the joined weapon system.)

John M>

Mike X
05-22-2011, 02:31 AM
The pintle mounts are not considered joined weapon systems. He can destroy the turret mounted gun adn you get to keep the pintle. It's your choice to have the turret removable, and having it modeled there. You could always make th barrels of the cannon removable for damage purposes to remind you, that you can still keep the other weapon online.

Same with an HK. I mount them on the sides of the turrets, so I woudl NOT lose three weapons if they took the turret out on it, I would just have to remember to not use the turret mounted weapon

Only co-axial weapons are considered joined for purposes of one being destroyed (and the Dreads, and their specific mention of losing the joined weapon system.)

John M>

Good to know. Thanks for correcting me on that!